KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What do you use for a voiceover music source? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:29 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
letitrip wrote:
I prefer having two separate applications, one running house music the other running karaoke tracks. That way I can have them going to separate soundcards and therefore separate channels on the mixer. I MUCH prefer using the faders on the mixer over trying to do volume control through software.

Me too.

I like having different audio signals on separate mixer channels, too.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:19 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Quote:
If you get it to work please tell me how to do it.
I have not been able to for a while now.
Not even from my cache.

EDIT: Download Youtube stuff that is.

I'll give you an example using the site "shockofgod.com", which is a source of amusing video.

First you download the free youtube downloader. called FreeYoutubeDownload, and launch it.

Then go to a youtube page with your browser, wherever there is a video to show. Copy the URL text with your mouse. Now I have "http://www.youtube.com/user/shockofgod" copied, and click pause on the video to shut up the crap that is playing. Actually, you can probably close the browser at this point.

Go back to the youtube downloader, and click the button on the left, which probably says "paste"...I'm not sure because my version is French and it says "coller".

The name of the Youtube feature appears in the big window in the top half of the screen. Mine now says "uploads by shockofgod". I click it, and at the bottom of the window, there are three buttons. The one on the right most likely says "videos" (mine says "vidéos"). click that. If there is only one video related to the URL that you put in, you might be able to skip this step.

Now I have a popup window full of religious Bravo Sierra , and I can put a check in the box of any item that I want to download, or, if they're all checked, I have to uncheck what I don't want. I select what I want, let's see, umm...I'm going to uncheck everything except "Why I like sport bikes", then click OK to close this selection window.

In the middle is a place, labeled "dossier de sortie", so the English version probably says "folder to save to", or something like that. I usually choose one that I can remember, so I can find the stupid thing after it's downloaded. Near the bottom of the window is a bar that lets me choose the format to save it in. Mpeg4 seems like a good choice.

At the bottom right, there is a button which is probably marked "download" (because mine says "télécharger"). Click that, and I don't remember exactly what appears on the screen next, nor am I going to continue, because I care even less about sport bikes than I do about religion, but it should download the video and place it in the "dossier de sortie" that you have chosen. If this doesn't work, let me know why, and I will try to help.

-denise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Thanks denise.
I had been using that but a while ago it stopped working.
Forums indicated they found a way of stopping it.
If you can still use it then I have some screwed software.

Thanks to Karen.
It won't download everything but I am getting some.

Think it is time to redo my hard drive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Umm...before you redo your hard drive...

Do you have version 2.9.21.208 of FreeYouTubeDownload? If not, you should upgrade and that will probably fix it for you.

-denise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:25 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I also prefer using something like an Ipod for transition music. If there's ever any computer issue that requires a re-boot or something, I always have music to play while things get sorted out. Granted, that's very uncommon, but I like knowing there won't be dead air.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:12 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
masterblaster wrote:
I also prefer using something like an Ipod for transition music. If there's ever any computer issue that requires a re-boot or something, I always have music to play while things get sorted out. Granted, that's very uncommon, but I like knowing there won't be dead air.

That's the single best reason for having a second audio source on site.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
I too, use a small mp3 player that has nothing but "upbeat" songs to play in the background. I hook it to a channel on the mixer and turn it up and down when between singers, but rarely turn it up to higher than "ambiance" levels. The songs are all songs that probably "won't" get sung during the karaoke show, but DO give the singers ideas. Example:Green River by Creedence on the player might give someone the idea of, "Oh, I could sing Bad Moon Rising. Things like that happen all the time. Also, I carry a spare laptop and hard drive with me to every show. You just never know what might happen, (power surge, drunk idiots, hard drive failure, etc.)

The mp3 player I use, I've been using for about 2 years now, with no problems at all. Bought it at Wally World for 49 bucks and is a pretty good investment if you ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
letitrip @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:30 pm wrote:
If you're looking to allow people to have conversation and get a more obvious transition from music to karaoke, keep the music level noticably quieter than the karaoke music. It kills the dead air, allows people to carry on conversation, and then when a karaoke tune comes up the added volume says OK Time to pay attention.

Exactly, the in between singer music is never as loud as the karaoke music is running, but just something underlying while the hos can make an announcement or whatever (like almost every radio ad you've ever heard). I even hear news reports that sometimes have an underlying music running while the news is being read.
Plus like someone said, lots of times someone will hear a clip in the middle and it will remind them to look to sing it or never knew the name to look and will ask so they they can sing it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
letitrip @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:35 pm wrote:
jerry12x @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:03 pm wrote:
letitrip @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 pm wrote:
If you're looking to allow people to have conversation and get a more obvious transition from music to karaoke, keep the music level noticably quieter than the karaoke music. It kills the dead air, allows people to carry on conversation, and then when a karaoke tune comes up the added volume says OK Time to pay attention.

Think that's another plus for Compuhost.
That's how I run it.
Also there are a few seconds silence before the track starts.
At first I didn't like it.
It is like a loud voice saying the song is about to start.

Well this is just a matter of opinion, but that's actually a reason why I wouldn't use compuhost. I prefer having two separate applications, one running house music the other running karaoke tracks. That way I can have them going to separate soundcards and therefore separate channels on the mixer. I MUCH prefer using the faders on the mixer over trying to do volume control through software.

Well you do not have to use the 'fill music' function, the MTU Hoster I use also has fill music capability as well that will fade in/fade out with the karaoke as it goes, but I simply prefer to have my dj program running on a secondary program & completely have control of what is coming in/going out of the mixer so just turn that feature off.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
I use internet radio stations, shoutcast stuff mostly. XMPlay or Foobar2000 both have plugins for ASIO output. I just look at the crowd, figure out what kind of genre they like, and tune in the right radio station.

Instead of using 2 sound cards like letitrip does, I virtual sound cards and software mixing/crossfading with reaper. Reaper has a "reroute" driver that lets you set your dj application to a reroute channel if it supports ASIO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I use Karma that also has a fill function. Just set up play lists of 10 to ? songs and is automatically fades in when you select the next singer and out when their song is done. House music can be set lower than karaoke songs. For voice-over, I have a sound interface with a volume wheel. I just spin it down when I want to talk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've actually gone through and made sure that any music I use for "filler" are songs that I have on Karaoke. So many times people will come up and say "Do you have this one, I want to sing this one". Nice when you can say yes I do, will have you up in a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:33 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

letitrip @ Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:03 pm wrote:
I've actually gone through and made sure that any music I use for "filler" are songs that I have on Karaoke. So many times people will come up and say "Do you have this one, I want to sing this one". Nice when you can say yes I do, will have you up in a bit.

Beautiful! Going to revise my Ipod playlist right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I use winamp in the background of my karaoke software. It runs on it's own soundcard and has a fader channel on my mixer.

I hand pick all music inbetween singers reading my crowd.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:07 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I use me.
I talk utter crap in the background.
Have my own beer channel
and a soft floor I can fall onto.

OMG Did I type that?

It's not true. Honest it's not.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

letitrip @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 pm wrote:
jerry12x @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:03 pm wrote:
letitrip @ Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 pm wrote:

Think that's another plus for Compuhost.
That's how I run it.
Also there are a few seconds silence before the track starts.
At first I didn't like it.
It is like a loud voice saying the song is about to start.

Well this is just a matter of opinion, but that's actually a reason why I wouldn't use compuhost. I prefer having two separate applications, one running house music the other running karaoke tracks. That way I can have them going to separate soundcards and therefore separate channels on the mixer. I MUCH prefer using the faders on the mixer over trying to do volume control through software.

Compuhost DOES support TWO different sound cards, one for the regular karaoke and another for the fillertunes player! You can go into the setup of Compuhost and designate separate sound devices for each, simple as that!

tbreen