KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Are these wireless mics good? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
jamkaraoke @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:28 pm wrote:
So I guess its hard to believe that using a
Yamaha Emx powered mixer
2 - 15" Behringer Pro speakers
Nady Wirelss mics
That a KJ could provide decent sound for a Karaoke show which is in a Very small bar ?

WOW all this time I never knew how bad my show was.......LOL

You know I love you guys !!!

That is only one factor whether you have a bad show or not - the system (I should say the sound quality) is a big part of whether i'd return or not. There are several other factors - mainly hosting, whether there are good singers in the audience - I do not like to listen to majority bad singers all night, which better singers do tend to find better systems. However I have heard nearly identical setups with Peavey & Mackie powered heads, and it wasn't for me- from my experience, the setups are underpowered, so the host has to compensate by turning the system up, which pushes it to the point of clipping/distortion and bass loss making the sound less than desireable. But for small bars it may do great, I don't like to go to small bars to play. But then again, you have to remember I have a bi-amed 3000 watt PA system with dual 15" cabs & ordered an 18" 1000 watt powered sub for my basement - 12'x24', that is the sound I prefer & try to find when I go to a karaoke show.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Sound is such a highly subjective experience. What sounds really good to one person can sound like total crap to another.

Some people just have a better 'ear' for that kind of thing.

Example:

In a bar environment 90% of the people won't be able to tell the difference between a mp3 ripped at 128K and one ripped at 320. Believe me, I can tell the difference and its enough to set my teeth on edge.

-James

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

jclaydon @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:12 pm wrote:
In a bar environment 90% of the people won't be able to tell the difference between a mp3 ripped at 128K and one ripped at 320. Believe me, I can tell the difference and its enough to set my teeth on edge.

-James

Yep mainly in the higher frequencies, they start to become almost underwater sounding. But even the lower frequencies can show signs of compression and feels like there is no oomph. I can definitely tell the difference between one ripped at 320 and one that was ripped at 160 or lower. 192 is about the point where it becomes un-noticeable on most songs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
My gigs are all at small venues .. ( 1 is inside a liquor store) If I used a system like yours all the wine bottles would break !!!

My system is at the minimum power required I know. But it works for the venues I have. Anything larger and I would need more power.

Regarding sound quality ..there are so many variables that go into the CHAIN that any weak link brings down the overall quality. That I agree with.
I also believe that 90% of the people could not tell nor do they care if an mp3 is at 320 or 128. YES SOME AUDIOPHILES AND PRO'S can ---we all know who you are !

And for the record I know every system can be improved even mine !!! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

jamkaraoke @ Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:11 pm wrote:
And for the record I know every system can be improved even mine !!! LOL

Tell me about it, I don't think any system is ever really complete, SOMETHING can always be upgraded. I really want to get myself a Driverack & will hopefully be my next purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
Some people simply equate LOUDNESS with good quality. For the most part, singing in a noisy bar is not the place to judge a sound system. Some people are simply happy to be heard above the music. I know that there are exceptions but most singers at a karaoke bar just aren't that good so they couldn't care less about the sound system, including the microphones. They just want to be heard. Some of them jjust want the opportunity the curse over a loud sound system. Some guy last weekend decided that he just had to sing Dennis Leary's (@$%&#!) SONG. During his next song; the most important thing to this singer was to be able to scream out the word (@$%&#!) at every possible instance. VOLUME was the only thing this guy was interested in; other than trying to piss off everyone else in the bar. After his second song, the bartender told him that he was done singing for the night. Once he realized that he couldn't curse any longer, he left. The guy had absolutely no desire to sing any song that he couldn't scream out some expletive during it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
jamkaraoke @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:28 pm wrote:
Yamaha Emx powered mixer
Nady Wirelss mics
That a KJ could provide decent sound for a Karaoke show which is in a Very small bar ?

Not hard to believe and nothing wrong with what you've got dude. I'm not trying to belittle your equipment or suggest your show is sub-par. Hell if you'd seen some of the rigs I've had to run bands on you'd be amazed at how bad a rig can be. My ONLY issue in this is when someone asks if a set of wireless microphones are a good set of wireless microphones you're being asked to evaluate them on the spectrum of all wireless mics. So to then say that the budget model of a budget brand that has some very distinct and tangible deficiencies is good, is saying that it's on the higher end of that spectrum. Having seen and used those mics personally, I can say without a doubt they are not on the higher end of that spectrum.

Again, I want to be clear, I am not a gear snob. Yes I have some gear that I've very happy with but I know every single component in my rig could be replaced with something much better. In the end we all have budgets to stick to, that's part of business, so we all have to make sacrifices. I'm not judging you or the quality of your show because you chose to cut costs on your microphone selection, that's your choice. As I think we've all discussed time and again, the audio quality of a Karaoke show is a very small part of what makes it successful or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:14 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I think the question was are these mic's good?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
We get raves about our sound all of the time but I know it is just in comparison to what else is out there right now. There are times I hear it and think, "needs improvement." But I don't think the compliments are kiss ups as usually it is more an exclamation of how much better they sound at ours then elsewhere. But again, we are competing against one speaker shows or two giant speakers with a powered mixer shows. A lot of people don't know things could be different until they hear something better.

We have the dreaded Nadys for run around drunk mics but we have an OM2 right next to them. I plan to use the Nadys until they die and then upgrade. Most of our singers prefer the Nadys because they sort of slur them into sounding like they are holding notes. They also like running around the bar with them and it is nice not having to worry about it. But we had in a "real" singer last week and when we steered him toward the OM2 and had him speak into it for adjustment, the first thing out of his mouth was, "Wow, now THIS mic has some good effect on it." When he was done he went on about how the good mic had "headroom" and allowed him to do all sorts of things that I don't know what he was talking about. (don't worry--I'm the greeter and not the sound person) He is a blues singer so he has a lower voice and needs to do the gravel and all that.

What is weird is, the last time he came to our show and I tried to get him to use the better mic he just shrugged and said something like, "We're just doing karaoke here, we don't need to get carried away, it sounds fine." Now he is all over it and saying he has never been to a show like ours, etc. So I think most people don't know there could be something better and so are happy with whatever there is until they learn otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:34 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
For some strange reason, whether it's a band, karaoke, or just plain spinnin', the more I drink, as the night moves on, the better it all sounds...... :) ...guess there's some mixing going on in my head..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
nobodyhome @ Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm wrote:
For some strange reason, whether it's a band, karaoke, or just plain spinnin', the more I drink, as the night moves on, the better it all sounds...... :) ...guess there's some mixing going on in my head..... :lol:

I walked in and the band just started
The singer couldn't carry a tune in a bucket
Was on a mission to drown her memory but
I thought no way with all this ruckus

But after one round with Jose Cuervo
I caught my boots tapping 'long with the beat
And after two rounds with Jose Cuervo
That band was sounding pretty darn good to me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

letitrip @ Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 pm wrote:
jamkaraoke @ Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:28 pm wrote:
Yamaha Emx powered mixer
Nady Wirelss mics

Not hard to believe and nothing wrong with what you've got dude. I'm not trying to belittle your equipment or suggest your show is sub-par. Hell if you'd seen some of the rigs I've had to run bands on you'd be amazed at how bad a rig can be. My ONLY issue in this is when someone asks if a set of wireless microphones are a good set of wireless microphones you're being asked to evaluate them on the spectrum of all wireless mics. So to then say that the budget model of a budget brand that has some very distinct and tangible deficiencies is good, is saying that it's on the higher end of that spectrum. Having seen and used those mics personally, I can say without a doubt they are not on the higher end of that spectrum.

Again, I want to be clear, I am not a gear snob. Yes I have some gear that I've very happy with but I know every single component in my rig could be replaced with something much better. In the end we all have budgets to stick to, that's part of business, so we all have to make sacrifices. I'm not judging you or the quality of your show because you chose to cut costs on your microphone selection, that's your choice. As I think we've all discussed time and again, the audio quality of a Karaoke show is a very small part of what makes it successful or not.

Just to be clear ... I value what pro's like you and Lon and others have to say about pro audio. If a question was asked what is a great/good wireless mic system I would never suggest a $49 Nady set. But anytime someone asks about a budget system or CHEAP system or home system I throw in my experiance with the DKW DUO from Nady ( not familiar with any other mics from them). I have never said that they were as good as more expensive sets unless someone mentioned FEAR of handing out wireless to drunk singers. If someone drops or throws these mics --it don't hurt as much $$$ .. KEEP SINGING and thanks for your input

It's all good ........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:29 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I have a set of Acesonic VHF8008 wireless mics. I've used them several times at my venue and they sound great. No complaints here.

Another set that I rent is equipped with VocoPro UHF 5800 4-channel wireless mic set and those are decent. He has two sets and on one set of his, he says he has trouble with his 3rd channel mic suffering a lot of interference/malfunctioning. The sound quality is good though. I notice little, if any difference between my Acesonic set and the VocoPros. The guy who owns them still loves them and would definitely continue to buy VocoPro.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 am 

[quote="nobodyhome"]For some strange reason, whether it's a band, karaoke, or just plain spinnin', the more I drink, as the night moves on, the better it all sounds...... :) ...guess there's some mixing going on in my head..... :lol:[/quote]

LOL