KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Setup Help Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Setup Help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Currently I have a Yamaha MG82CX hooked up to my home theater receiver via RCA cables and the system sounds ok.

Yesterday I was browsing the web and couldn't believe the Mackie SRM450 v2 can be had for $299 brand new so I bought a pair to replace/supplement the home theater stuff. My question is what cable should I get to hook up the new speakers to mixer? Also are these speakers too much for my room (15'x20'). Would these speakers be ok for watching movies? I'm pretty new to pa stuff. The only reason I bought these is because I see the SRM450 recommended a lot on this forum so they must be really good and I couldn't pass up on a brand new pair of these for $600 (every where else has it for ~$550 each)

This is what I have:

- Yamaha MG82CX
- Yamaha rx-v765 receiver
- 2 Polk monitor 60 front speakers + 2 Polk monitor 30 rear speakers + Polk CS1 center speaker
- Pa120 subwoofer
- HTPC (used for movies and karaoke)

Now that I have 2 SRM450v2s coming, how would they fit in with the above equipment? Thanks.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Setup Help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 398 times
Those speakers are powered which means you hook the mixer straight into the speakers. You eliminate the need for the receiver. Others know how to hook them up better than me so I'll let them inform you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Since the only output on your mixer is a 1/4" Balanced you'll need a long 1/4" balanced (TRS) to XLR Male cable to make the connection to each speaker. You can get a 20 footer for about $20.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 am 

What cable brand do you recommend? I usually buy cables from monoprice.

I found this on monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Does monoprice make good pro cables or should I look at something else?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
i have bought a lot of cable from monoprice,i like them,they have good prices,fast shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 pm 

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. I think I have the setup figured out in a way that I can still preserve the 5.1 for movies and still be able to use the Mackie speakers for karaoke.

So I'm gonna connect from the 2 front preout on the Yamaha receiver to the Mackie speakers using RCA to XLR cable like this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
That way I can have the Mackie SRM450v2s as 2 front speakers and the rest of the speakers get driven by the Yamaha 765's amp.

So basically htpc to mixer via 3.5 mm to RCA cable
mixer to receiver via TRS to RCA cable
then receiver preout to Mackie for 2 front speakers via RCA to XLR cable
then receiver to center and 2 rear speakers via regular speaker cable
and receiver sub preout to the home theater sub

Anything you guys think might not work? Other suggestions and advice?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I see a few issues here. First, you're not preserving the 5.1 signal from your HTPC. To do so you'd have to have all 6 channels broken out into separate inputs on the mixer and separate outputs as well. Running RCA's into and out of your mixer is only going to give you Left and Right, no surround.

As second issue is that you're mixing operating levels. Consumer equipment, like your stereo receiver, are designed to operate at -10 db. Pro audio gear is designed to operate at +4 db. So going from the TRS outputs of your mixer to the RCA inputs of the receiver directly is going to result in your receiver seeing a hotter level than it's expecting. On the output side, going from your RCA outputs of the receiver directly to the XLR input of the Mackie speakers is going to result in the speakers seeing a weaker than expected signal (not to mention not balanced).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:43 pm 

letitrip @ Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 am wrote:
I see a few issues here. First, you're not preserving the 5.1 signal from your HTPC. To do so you'd have to have all 6 channels broken out into separate inputs on the mixer and separate outputs as well. Running RCA's into and out of your mixer is only going to give you Left and Right, no surround.

I forgot to mention that HTPC will be also connected to receiver via HDMI so mixer will not be used at all for movies.

As second issue is that you're mixing operating levels. Consumer equipment, like your stereo receiver, are designed to operate at -10 db. Pro audio gear is designed to operate at +4 db. So going from the TRS outputs of your mixer to the RCA inputs of the receiver directly is going to result in your receiver seeing a hotter level than it's expecting.

I don't exactly understand what "hotter level" means but that is how I connect mixer to receiver currently and it's been running fine for about a year now. What exactly is the result of having a hotter level than expected? Will it damage the receiver in the long run? Any effect on sound quality? etc.

On the output side, going from your RCA outputs of the receiver directly to the XLR input of the Mackie speakers is going to result in the speakers seeing a weaker than expected signal (not to mention not balanced).

Does seeing a weaker signal have any implication on sound quality? I mean can you just remedy that by turning up the volume? Also I only plan to use the 10' cable; will there be any problem with balancing issue? From what I understand, balancing is only a problem if the cable is more than 25' long.