KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - DK Original vs. Millenium Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:07 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
How do these two sets compare? Is there much song duping? What about quality of sound? Up to what years are covered in the music selection of each? If I were planning on adding to Foundations 1 and 2 and the Brickettes, which would be a better buy to get less duping? Or should I build on top of my SC core with something other than DK? Priddis maybe? Or CB? My clientel are about 70/20/10--rock/country/R&B.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
DK Millenium is comprised of all the songs on the Original DK series that are still licensable. Sound quality is pretty good, some would say they are the best, some don't care for them. I think they are very good for the most part. They do incorporate a little guide melody line that can throw you & some of their songs are in lower keys than the original - which can be fixed with a key changer.
The Foundation sets will duplicate MANY of the Millenium set although the Millenium does have songs that aren't on the Foundation so they do compliment each other to a degree. There are some versions on the Millenium that will kick the Foundations away, but then again, that statement goes the other way as well.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:02 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

My son and I are just getting started in the KJ business, and we purchased the DK Millenium set as well as the Sound Choice Foundations 1 & 2 and all 5 Bricks. We had a total of around 3,400 songs, including about 660 dupes.

I agree with Lonman......we got some good stuff on DK that wasn't in the Sound Choice collections. There are even some dupes between the Sound Choice Foundations and the Bricks. It looks like it's hard to avoid dupes when starting out.

I have found 107 songs so far that I can sing well (my opinion....LOL). I chose the Sound Choice versions over the DK most of the time.
These are about 30% classic country and 70% golden oldies rock. I did, however, find some VERY good DK versions that blew away the Sound Choice hands down!

I did notice the little melody track that Lonmam referred to in some of the DK versions. It didn't annoy me however. I did NOT notice that some songs were in a lower key that the original....have to go and check that out.

Overall, we are quite satisfied with what we bought. We are now SELECTIVELY filling out with some newer stuff ('97 to present). We are still encountering some dupes, but trying to keep it to a minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Try Peter Cetera- Glory of Love. There is no way I should be able to hit it, but because DK lowered it, I am able to.

Just an example off the top of my head for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My personal choice was the DK milennium over the original.. because of content. and it augments well with other "Core" sets. and it was less expensive to fill the other sets the numbers of songs were easier to achieve. for $750.00 on up to $1,000.00 a set was worth it depending where ya shopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've had the DK Millenium since it came out, Its an extremely respectable set.

Recently I was able to pick up a bunch of the DK originals. In particular, The ones with Steve Earle, Lionel Ritchie, Marvin Gaye, Del reeves Etc.

I picked the ones with the lost songs to the Millenium set.

I also have SC Foundation 1 & 2, Brick#4, Brickette#5R, NSC 99 pack and about 40 - 50 other SC single discs.

DK and SC are definitely the kings of the jungle as far as sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:11 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Sprocket Audio SW wrote:
My personal choice was the DK milennium over the original.. because of content. and it augments well with other "Core" sets. and it was less expensive to fill the other sets the numbers of songs were easier to achieve. for $750.00 on up to $1,000.00 a set was worth it depending where ya shopped.

I've been looking, but haven't been able to find the DK Millenium set for less that $900.00. I'd love to pick it up for $750.00. Where do you shop? I'm not sure if we're allowed to post info like that here. If not, can you PM me? Thanks.