KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Rotations Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:57 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
That is probably a good way to handle it. Otherwise, you may open a can of worms and be causing yourself more headaches than it's worth.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:02 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

One other very important thing that I had forgotten to do until recently- PUT A LINE FOR EMAIL ADDRESSES, and remind thru the night that by giving an email address, they will be kept posted on other events and specials. I have built a list of about 30 addys, and send out 1-2 times a month, an update email, usually with a referral incentive for new shows, or a coupon for private parties.

Don't forget- you must put a tag line at the bottom, "If you do not want to recieve further emails please respond and I will remove you from the list"

Quite a few people have thanked me for the reminders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:12 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I do plan on building an email list. It is a cheap and easy way to market yourself. I will probably use it to tell people about venues, and when the website has been updated with new pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:31 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Ice,

We do not have a space for the key change, not that it is a bad idea. In our experience most singers will ask for a key change. Some beleive they need to sing the song straight across. My little secret wepon is Margie. She knows her music and takes the time to talk to the singers. After she has heard them once she key changes without asking the next time. Many times a singer will comment that they never sounded so good. I'm not recommending this unless you can recognise a vocal range and know the range of a song. Do we share this information? Not unless asked, remember many singers come and go. If you make them sound better than the other KJ you have a better chance of them coming back.

With respect to the group singers..Margie will usually give them 2 slots and spread them out. Duets .. the first person listed uses their slot and the second person may still sing solo in their own slot (hope that makes sense).

Probably the hardest part of KJing is dealing with what I call funeral music. Those slow beautiful songs which after 2 or 3 in a row kill the atmosphere. Margie knows her singers well enough to suggest that they sing one of their upbeat songs.

Personally we never DJ other than filler music during a show. The preveious vender was doing that and ended up losing his singers.

As you can tell everyone of us here has a way of doing things that work best for them. I am sure that you can see where the common thread is to putting on a good show.

As a finale note, Margie and I make it a habit to shake everyones hand and/or better yet give them a hug.

Cort
MC Entertainment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:49 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Wow Cort--I REALLY gotta get to one of your shows! Between hearing Margie sing and maybe getting a hug from that beauty, it's probably worth the trip! LOL

You are a lucky man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:59 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hmmm...I like the idea of just making my own judgement of whether a singer needs a key change. If you are really listening to them sing their song it shouldn't be too hard to hear if they are struggling with a certain part. I will keep this idea in mind for the future. Thanks Cort! :)

I think for now I will make my slips with room for one song, a key change option, and maybe a space for an email address.

After a couple of months I will reaccess...EVERYTHING! Gotta give the people what they want! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:51 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Just make sure not to adjust the key without their knowledge. Some refuse to have the key changed - even though the song may be out of their range. You can make the suggestion to them, "Hey you may want to try that song in a lower (or higher if the case may be) key next time, it will compliment your voice a little better."
Some may accept, many will say no.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I think it takes a TALENT to be able to listen and suggest a key change to most singers and more importantly a GOOD RELATIONSHIP with your singers. Ice, if your just starting out at your first show UNLESS YOU KNOW THE SINGER VERY WELL I wouldn't make singing suggestions
We KJ 's might have big heads but SINGERS ( I use to be one of them)
You'r just asking for trouble :D :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:49 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

:lol: That's funny!

You're probably right. I think I will tread lightly the first few weeks, anyway. Hopefully, after that I will be able to read who can and who cannot take advice or good-natured-ribbing; I think I am a pretty good judge of character.

Some of the singers DO have BIG heads, though. Some can even walk the walk, but others are down right delusional!! :lol:

Ooops, I better not say that, I am a KJ now...EVERYBODY IS GREAT! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:31 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

The advice from loman and JAMKARAOKE is sound and should be followed.

The technique I have shared has taken years to develope and works well for us. We would not do this if our singers were not satisified with the results. Now premadonnas are a different story, usually very particular. Most of the time they want a lot of effects (reverb), and a loud vocal. We generally give them exactly what they want.

I do suggest that you follow the guide lines of lonman and JAMKARAOKE in this instance as they will keep you out of trouble.

Cort
MC Entertainment

ps Hey Big Mike, Margie gave me a hug and said that she hoped that you would enjoy it...UM UM GOOOD...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:12 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I use a rotation board.... I got two dry erase boards and each have 15 binder clips attached to them. Bring up as mant slips as you want (like 10) and i will put them in order.... the nice thing about the dry-erase boards, i can write your name on the board.

No worry about when you are up next, i point to the clip we are on now, and your clip

If you are doing a regular gig, get a 3X5 index card box with a set of dividers, save regular's slips, file them by first name

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Patrick, one other thing I do is keep a 5X8 index card file in alphabetical order with all my regulars. List the song and disc/track numbers on them, so when the singer comes in I hand them their card and a couple song slips. That way they can get a slip in quickly. They like it as they don't have to look them up every time. They also like the fact that it makes them think you really care about and appreciate them. Takes a little effort to get started, but is well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:42 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Those are both great ideas! :) I was trying to think of a way to remember regulars and make them feel special, and I think a card file may be just the trick.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Becareful.... it can get out of hand real quick!

I used to use a card system as well, and may go back to it... right now, I'm two weeks away from going completely digital, and the pc's hdd can do a lot better than any physical inventory!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Matt,

Last night I picked up an M-Audio Audiophile, so I can record from the mixer to my laptop. If I have time this week I will probably design a MS Access database to use instead of the card file. I may as well considering that I will have the PC along to record with anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:17 pm 

We also use the pad method. We use Steno Pads and just keep turning the pages. When the pad is full we just buy another one. It is fun to look back four years ago and see what kind of rotation you had and who was at your shows.[url][/url]