KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Compressor Question Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Compressor Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:51 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
OK, we got our system in last week. Sounds really good. We ordered a compressor, but I need someone to tell me exactly what good it is going to do for us?

I went a saw a show last night. The guy has a very simple set up that sounded great, and NO COMPRESSOR. A guy went up and sang "Show ME How to Live" by Audioslave, and it sounded fine.

Is the compressor REALLY needed? I'd rather put the money towards a second player, or vocal monitor.

What risk do I run by not having the compressor? So far, it sounds pretty darned good without it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:46 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
The main advantage is it's going to smooth out the vocals. If you get loud parts it will lower it & keep them more consistant. You don't NEED a compressor if you like the sound without one. With one will make it that much better since all music is compressed to a degree (some more than others) so with a compressor your vocals can be blended with the music better without louder passages in your vocals standing out dramatically. A well set up compressor in your mix will not be an obvious change, but take it out of the mix & you will definately notice. It can also aid from clipping (distorting) your vocal channels since it will level out your vocals.

But again, you do not NEED one it's just really nice to have in the mix. Home use I wouldn't worry about it too much, club use, I wouldn't run a show without one.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:08 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Thanks Lonman!

I'll take that into consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Here's a question. I have known screamers, and what I do is sit at the mixer, and as soon as I hear them goig for a note, I pull down the channel on the mic, and raise it when their done. If I am understanding correct, the compressor would do this automatically, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

To a point, yes. You may still need to do fader adjustments, but it will take ALOT of the harshness away while you get to the board!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:29 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

You're right, most people don't.

I've seen people say the don't and and I could see it "working" in their system.

Most of all you can by the faces of your audience and thet "one special singer".

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:14 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I also agree with lonman with the use of a compression unit. One thing I would keep in mind is the input level for the mic. Most singers will only get loud for a short interval and pulling down the slider will work to keep from overdriving the output level. But if you have a screamer, keep an eye on the input level of the mic and reduce it if necessary. There is a good chance that they are peaking the mic preamp in the board.

Cort
MC Entertainment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:55 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Yes I would say a compressor is a vital piece of equipment in any Karaoke system. I just got my whole system and I have a 4 channel compressor/limiter set up with it. One channel each for the left/right music, one channel for my VHF microphones and a free channel (which will end up being used for a set of FM microphones I plan on getting).

Every KJ I've spoken to about their systems had told me they wished they had one. It's the one piece of equipment that can save your speakers if/when you get a screamer. Not to mention what others have said about it's ability to level out all the music no matter how loud it was mastered.

If you figure a decent 4 channel compressor costs about $99, and your speakers cost up to if not more than 4 times that, it makes it well worth the investment. Once you get it set up the first time you should NEVER have to mess with it again.

- FutureMon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:41 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

futuremon wrote:
Once you get it set up the first time you should NEVER have to mess with it again.

Oh I wouldn't exactly say that. For the most part that is partially true, but every singer is different, some will require more compression, some less. I am constantly adjusting the threshold & ratio throughout the evening for different singers. If you were dealing with only 1 singer, then I would say set it & forget it - but even then certain slight adjustments may be made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:40 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

A decent 4 channel compressor costs $99? Might I ask the make and model?

/send back DBX 166XL
/order new "decent" 4 channel for $99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The dbx unit is way better than any quad for $99, guaranteed. More than likely they were talking about the Behringer Multicom MDX4400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:49 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Lonman wrote:
The dbx unit is way better than any quad for $99, guaranteed. More than likely they were talking about the Behringer Multicom MDX4400.
Close. It's a Multicom Pro-XL MDX4600. And I'll agree up front that DBX is a better brand. I chose my unit based on price and the fact it had the amount of channels I wanted.

- FM