KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Wireless Microphones Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wireless Microphones
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I realize that many of you here are pro's but I'm hoping you'll share your knowledge with me. I'm trying to set up a PC based karaoke system for my wife. What I'm totally stumped on is figuring out the best bang for the buck as far as wireless microphones goes. Is there anything out there worth buying that's a dual microphone system for under $200? (don't laugh)

People have said that the VHF ones are not worth buying. Is that really true if you're just going to use them in your family room? For example, the Nady Encoreduet-HT (two microphone VHF system) can be had for about $150. Are these just trash. Please point me in the right direction.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:47 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

For home use VHF could work fine. I have VHF and UHF both. The primary drawback to VHF is that it's more suseptable to interference than UHF. This is more so in a commercial environment, with lots of neon and florescent lights, radio traffic (near airports), etc. than UHF. Also most VHF systems are set/single freqs whereas you can get UHF systems with changable or selectable freqs. So UHF definately has an advantage in a commercial environment, but for home use, when you're doing karaoke, that's probably the only thing you're doing at the time, so you could be perfectly fine with VHF. Check some of the distributors web sites that have advertising banners on the home page for this site. That'll give you a start on what's available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:52 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I have a friend who has the nady mics you are speaking of and he likes them and has had no problems with them and has been using wireless for a while now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:07 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

OK, now that I'm somewhat confident that VHF might be good enough for us, what about quality? I'm not too sophistaicated as far as that sort of thing goes but my wife has proven to have fairly "advanced" tastes when it comes to audio. Not that she would expect the worlds best, just that if they distort easily or just plain sound a little "off" she would certainly notice. Are those Nady microphones I mentioned considered to be of decent quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:54 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Dubby,

I've been using a Samson VHF-TD setup for years in the NYC area, I had interference maybe twice(in 5 years, two to three shows a week). I get a range of about of 150'. So I don't think that in VHF is a problem as long as you don't run muliple wireless channes at the same time.

Make sure you get a True Diversity VHF system(TD)

BTW, Nady ussually blows chunks.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:04 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The sound quallity is a compicated subject, Shure, Sennheiser, AT, AKG, Audix(one of my personal favorites) all make some great mic capsules but you end up paying for the quality.

The unsung hero in the Microphone Biz is the Samson QMic. Now I said QMic Not Q7, Q1 or whatever. The Qmic plain and simple. It's one of the best sounding capsules in it's class. And a great bargain at that.

Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:12 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The reviews on-line for the Nady cordless seem to be pretty good. Personally, my 2.4ghz cordless phone system, microwave, and fluorescent bulbs rendered my Nady vhf microphone useless in my household. I also live very close to the Police/Fire Station. I now have a Sennheiser UHF cordless and love it. I hardly ever use my corded SM58. Audio Technica also puts out quality budget cordless microphones. The least expensive unit ($99.00) is a single non-diversity, but I have heard good things about it. Of course, the Shure VHF is always a good bet but is a bit more expensive.

Just last night I was at a new club and they were running a non-karaoke show. The microphone kept dropping out and there was a lot of static and interference. I looked over at the DJ booth and noticed that the receiver was a Samson. I assumed it was a VHF because of all the static and interference. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the receiver's atnennas were inches from a lit Budweiser sign.
In my humble opinion, the best way to minimize interference is to go with UHF in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yeah Ron...
nothing like rehersing some original song for a live show... and hearing a southwest airlines 737 asking for clearance to take off on runway 12.. in my old VHF wireless in-ear recievers in the old studio near the airport... ..Scary HUH??

Ya ask yourself how many died today over that manuver??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ron...it was the last time I used VHF wireless equipment in rehersal..
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:59 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Someone up the page was talking about the UHF, and AT making a good less expensive wireless. They do. They also make some very good upper end mics. I have their 3000 series and really love it. Have not had a single problem with it and it sounds great. I just saw in another topic where Brian just got a 4000 series. Must be nice :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:26 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I am using APi cordless, and have been pleasantly surprised. I can stant next to a neon light, with my cell phone ringing, 100+ft from the reciever, and still get perfect reception. These are just VHF mics. I have even taken them into the parking lot of places to go get the next singer, and they held up.

Just a cheap alternative....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

For home use like that (in this original topic), I think I'd go ahead with the VHF, but I'd want to make a deal that it could be returnned if it doesn't work. Unless you live in a bad area, you shouldn't have any problem. I very seldom had problems with them even when I was using them near an airport for a venue. What effected them more than anything was the bad wiring in the venue. Think they had some floating grounds and the like, and I know in one room a multi-meter said they had about 95v at all the outlets on a certain breaker. They wouldn't even run a toaster for a breakfast event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DUBBY

What will you be running the mics into ..OR OUT OF??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ron :wink:
I think I know which "Toasted" room your talking about..

BTW Ron,
Would ya like some peanut butter with that slice of bread, multimeter a screwdriver & a Pair of gloves to fix that outlet?

:P :twisted:

Send them a box of chocolates and a card for valantines day for me will ya?
:puke:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:53 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

What will I be running the mics into or out of? That's a very good question. What have you heard about the Vocopro 1050 or 2200 mixers? It looks like I can get my hands on either of them pretty cheaply. Remember, I'm not trying to set up the world's greatest system. Just one good enough to satisfy my wife's somewhat demanding tastes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:44 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Did someone delete my question about the Chinese-made wireless mics I found? What kind of a Karaoke "forum" is this if I can't ask questions about specific KARAOKE equipment? Please tell me that it was a mistake and I'll repost my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:29 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

So I'll assume it wasn't a mistake then. Too bad, I was hoping this would be a good resource for information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
if you posted it as a link, chances are it got removed.

K.scene has gotten very pick as of late about that!

Other bboards aren't so picky.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:18 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

It was a URL, not a direct link. There's a big difference. Furthermore it was for a manufacturer, not a seller. How could anyone possibly have a problem with that?!? Deleting my question is indefensible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:26 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
Dear Sir,
(Don't you just love it when I start a post like this) :)

Although, I wasn't the one to delete your post, I was advised by the party that did, of the situation.

As far as, your post, since I did not see or read it I cannot personally comment on what was in it. However, I was told that you had stated that you could provide 'product X' at a lower cost than is available to others, and to contact you. This is advertising! If you wish to advertise your services please use the Contact us page and select "Advertising On This Site"

We have recently been bombarded by individuals posting links and URLs to advertise their services. These forums are for the exchanging of information and for entertainment, not to sell anything. Therefore we have removed the ability to post links into the forum. you may submit a URL (web address) but it will not be a link.

Further, I don't want to get into an argument with anyone regarding this issue. Please understand that Karaoke Scene reserves the right to edit or delete any post for any reason that it wishes (as stated in the rules.) They own and operate this site, therefore they have the last word on the issue.

Thank you,

Phill
Webmaster
Karaoke Scene

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:31 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I simply stated that I had found a dual microphone for a very good price but was unsure as to whether to purchase it. I posted the URL to the MANUFACTURER along with the part numbers hoping that someone could advise me about the posted specs.

I will restate my earlier post:

I have found (FOUND - not selling, remember I'm trying to find something to BUY) a dual UHF receiver + microphones for around $100. I realise it's probably too good to be true but thought it was worth investigating. I include the price simply for reference, nothing sinister. After looking around I found that this same setup seems to be popular in Europe and parts of Asia where people are willing to pay around $350. Again I include this information because it starts to give me hope that this might be a good deal as opposed to "you get what you pay for".

Could someone please check the manufacturer's site to tell me if there's any hope that these might possibly work ok for my wife? She's no professional but would notice poor quality. The company name is karsect. If you add some w's and a dot com you might be able see their web site. (see, I'm trying to have a sense of humor about this) At he top right there's a link to see the site in English. Then on the left click Products. Then click on UHF Series. You'll see two microphones and some receivers. I don't know which microphone comes with the set I'm interested in but maybe it doesn't matter as they have identical specs. The receiver is the KRU-102. What do you think?

BTW - I've already bought this thing and it's on the way because of a 30 day money back guarantee.