KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Wireless Mic opinions - Nwebie Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:49 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hello

I'm new to the formum, but not to karaoke. I'm in a band on the side from my normal job, but I love karaoke. I have all the equipment and use my laptop to play and store songs with roxbox. I do not gig with karaoke though. I usually take my laptop and mixer to friends houses and hook into their stereos and tv's for fun. If someone wants the big sound I can always bring my PA, but normally that's too much work.
I'm joining the formu to try to get some answers about wireless mics. I'm tired of all the cords when your in someones living room. Most of my corded mics are SM58's, Audix and AKG all in the same 100 dollar discount price range. I don't have any experience with wireless.
What I have surmized from the internet is I want UHF. Some units are fixed frequencies and some are adjustable. Since I'm only using these things in peoples homes, I figure the adjustable frequency would probably not be needed, but a good option have.
As far as sound quality, I would like to get the best sound for the money, but am not real picky, since most of my friends are not good singers. I can tell a piece of crap form a decent mic, but beyond that I don't pay too much attention. I could also hook up one corded mic for the people who insist on having a good mic. Also I want multiple mics in one unit. I'm not willing to pay for sure, senheiser, or samson for this application.
What I have been looking at, but have not demo'd or even seen in person, are the vocopro 5800 (4 mics) or 6800 (2 mics). I'm wondering if the two units have the same mic pickup, but different wireless characteristics. I also wonder if some of the units in each manufactures line up have the same vocal pickups for the mics themselves, and improve on the wireless technology from there. There are several other similar company's that offer 2 & 4 mics. This is where I'm starting. If any of you have any experience with some of these brands and models, I would like to her your honest opinions.
Thanks
Lineyho

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Hi lineyho, welcome to the forum.

I can't help much but I have used the Vocopro 5800 for over a year now and I haven't had any problems. But I will say this they sound very good when I use them on my larger system at the club, but not as well when I use them on my small system at home or in the backyard.

I'm sure there is more and better help on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
the sennheiser freeport is a very clear sound. My only bugbear with it is that the plastic casing is cheap and nasty...that isnt so much of a worry from my perspective cos I am the only one using it...but it wouldnt stand up to too much rough handling. Aside from that its a very good mic...most of the sennheiser products are

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I like my Audio- technica (wireless) 3000 series. I bought it on e-bay. I believe using true diversity UHF when buying wireless.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:10 pm 

I understand the UHF, but is "true diversity" a brand name, or a type of receiver ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
lineyho @ Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:10 pm wrote:
I understand the UHF, but is "true diversity" a brand name, or a type of receiver ?

True diversity means that the receiver is operating on two frequencies at the same time. There is a circuit which determines which is the "best" signal and that is used. If the carrier on one of the channels drops, it will automatically switch to the second channel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Mcky you rock ! I couldn't have said it better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I've got an old-as-dirt Nady in my system right now, which is rugged as hell, but makes some awful buzz sounds on occasion, so I really want to retire it. I picked up a Digital Reference DR-2606 from Audio Technica a few months ago to use for announcements and such at weddings, but considered adding it to my karaoke show instead, and picking up another mic. The main weirdness with it, though, is that it runs on AA batteries, which I've never seen in a wireless mic. I could honestly go either way and add the DR to my show, or pick up a different one.

So, anybody got a good recommendation in the $200-ish range? I know that's not much, but I hate to spend more on a mic that I would either only use for announcements, or that might be used at a bar twice a week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:48 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

You'd be surprised what you can find on e-bay. You get a lot for your money. Just be careful to read the description well and make sure your seller is reputable. I picked up 2 of my last Audix mics (brand new with receipts) for about $50 bucks each. I bought my wireless Audio - Technica on e-bay also.

I know there were discussions about this in the Tech and Discussion Forum. You might want to try the search engine for them. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Used the DR-2606 last night and it's utter $#!+. There was pretty much nothing I could do to get a good mix out of it. It was much cleaner and less feedback prone than the Nady, but it had a lot of high end that I had a hell of a time mixing out. I can usually set up the Nady and only adjust the volume depending on the singer, but I was constantly tweaking the highs, mids and lows for each singer with the DR-2606 and ti STILL didn't sound good. I won't be using it again. When I was talking on it, it was fine, but it is NOT a good vocal mic.

Guess I'll go back to the Nady from the mesozoic era until I can pick up something better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
DJ Swirl @ Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 pm wrote:
So, anybody got a good recommendation in the $200-ish range? I know that's not much, but I hate to spend more on a mic that I would either only use for announcements, or that might be used at a bar twice a week.

I am using the AKG WMS-40, recommended here. You can get a single for $200.00, or a double for $340. They work well, and are more rugged than they look.

On all wireless mics, I wish they had a way to disable the switch. It runs batteries a bit more, but I hate it when people start singing and the mic is off because someone has operated the switch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I've seen shows where they tape that sucker in the ON position!

I USUALLY handed the mic to them and asked them to say "test" into the sucker before I started the music. But there WERE times when I got caught cause someone flicked the switch, too!