KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I've grown my business and want to hire a KJ to work for me Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
This year I'd like to hire someone to run a second show for me. I've built enough of a reputation and base for myself in the area that I want to branch out and do more shows. Unfortunately, I can only be in one place at a time!

I've got several people in mind, but I haven't approached them yet because I'm not really sure how to go about training them properly, and there are a lot of other colateral issues as well. My thought was to have them come to shows with me to see how I do things. Then I would work them into actually running the system while I host, while also giving them host experience while I run the equipment. Finally, I'd have them run the entire show with me standing by in case they have a problem before I cut them loose entirely.

For those of you who own multiple systems and have other employess, please share any thoughts on the following:

-How do you train your employee KJ's?
-How do you handle setup/breakdown? Do you do it, or just give a rig to the KJ and let them deal with it?
-Along those same lines, do you buy a second vehicle to carry this equipment and sign it out to the KJ?
-What are you paying your KJ's? I was thinking about a 50/50 split
-I'm worried that I'll be liable if something happens to my KJ while "at work" or if (God forbid) my KJ does something ignorant while on the job.
-Do you use non-competition contracts with your KJ's?

Any other wisdom you might share would be most appreciated!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't run multiple systems, but I do know what you're talking about. I am out of town often enough that I had to have someone available to run my system when I'm gone. It's my wife, daughter, and son-in-law. While my wife is with me almost all the time, she doesn't understand the equipment enough, but can work the mic and the crowd. Meanwhile, my daughter and/or son-in-law run the equipment. It works out well. The way you described it, working them in one step at a time is the perfect way to do it. The other thing you might want to consider is insurance. From two aspects; 1. You'll have someone else out there with $5-10K worth of your belongings and 2. If they should get into a hastle with someone and you end up getting sued as their employer. Just make sure you protect yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:54 am 

I'm running 2 systems... but when I started the company I did it with a partner. I was running all our shows but now he has his own system and we split the shows. But, we have also trained 2 other people in the case that one of us gets sick or just can't make a show or wants a day away from Karaoke. When we decided that we needed back up KJ's we asked a couple of our friends that we deemed trust worthy and that we knew had vehicles that could haul the equipment if need be. We have been lucky enough to find two great, level headed individuals that now have the ability to run any one of our shows. When it comes to money we only pay them $50, but we also set up a tab for them so they can get dinner and a few drinks... and if they have to come and pick the gear up and then bring it back to one of us we normally fill there gas tank. Since they are normally at our shows any way they seem to be happy with this arrangement because they end up not paying for anything and walk away with some extra cash in their pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

lil-mike, it must be nice. Costs me just to use my daughter and son'in-law. I could probably get away without paying them, but I wanna make sure its enough worthwhile to them to do a good job for me. I'm always concerned when I'm not there about someone else running off my crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I will always set up the shows to make sure somebody doesn't come back to me & say, something didn't sound right, or that wasn't working. I make sure all works before I leave. I will break down the next morning if needed.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile