KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - KJ Pro Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: KJ Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:43 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Has anybody tried KJ Pro?

I messed around with the demo and it seems pretty intuitive. Much more so than Music Book Deluxe (IMO).

The company that makes KJ Pro also presents themselves much more professionally than either the MDB company or Airwer. The website is clean, clear, and concise.

Anyway, looking for some opinions, but to be honest, I think this is the one.

Patrick

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:48 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Most of my Karaoke compadres are using Kj Pro, it's really easy to use plus they're on the ball with updates. Musicbook Deluxe works great too, I've met the guys who are in charge of the product and they're on the stick. You probably need it right away, but every year at the Karaokefest, there's usually 3 or 4 karaoke songbook vendors there of you to sample their software.

You're lucky, I'm still using the Karaoke Spigot - my updates are made with finger.

Just a small note, be sure to back your song menu - could save your 1000s of hours

Sammy

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:14 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks Sammy! I'm going to go for it! :) The program seemed the easiest to use out of the ones I tried. I was probably going to get it based on the ease, but the vote of confidence helps.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've been using KJ Pro for 3 years, I think its a great program.

It has a few neat features like the "Delete w vocals" button which will knock out all vocal tracks with one click.

The print menu section has lots of choices and the print preview has even more, And the updates are on the ball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:57 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks BJC,

I ordered it on Tuesday and I am hoping it comes sometime today. I thought it was the most intuitive of all I tried.

MBD was very cumbersome. It took an hour to load!

I can't wait to get it so I can run some compares to minimize my song duplication. My budget is beginning to get real tight and all I have so far is the Chartbuster Essential 450 packs 1-4 (1800 songs), a Chartbuster Teen Pak (100 songs), and a Priddis 10-pak (150 songs) for a total of 2050 songs. I would like to get to, at least, 3000 before I start.

Thanks for your input. Take care.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:50 am 

Have you looked at the airwer software. I looked at them all and decided on airwer, have been very pleased and had no problems with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:28 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Jack,

I did try the airwer demo. I didn't like it so much. I ended up buying the KP Pro software. So far I llike it, although I doesn't seem to have a simple way to remove duplicate songs...if it does I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks for the input,

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Patrick, I'm not sure you want to remove all the dupes from your book. I go ahead and leave them in. I may have a particular song on a sound choice, a chartbuster, DK, PHM and a Priddis. I leave them all in because whoever is going to put that song in may want a particular version of it. Maybe they're used to doing one version, and if ya throw another one at them they don't like it. The other thing is I don't want to lose track of dupes in the event a disc goes bad or ya get a scratch on a certain song, etc. Just a thought. :argue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
well Ron, I love ya, but I'm on the other side of the fence here. I believe very strongly in having a book without dupes. As small a library as Pat has, he oughta leave 'em in though! LOL!

NO diss on ya Pat...

I do have a master book with them ALL in.

Pat, that's why I went to excel. Cause I just scan down, and delete them. Marty is an Excel guru and I think he's written macros that do all that for him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
I agree with Ron. Leave them in. Your singers deserve the choice and you can educate them at the same time. They may not be able to sing Brand X but can ace it with Brand Y.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:13 am 
I think it is better to remove all dupes.
It makes your books look more professional.
We use the airwer.com software and think it's the dogs bollocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:18 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

If anything - take out the bad tracks, unfortunately, that comes with time.

You'll find also that "if you have" DK, the key is usually lower to make it singer friendly

I used to take out the dups, with American Pie, Stairway to Heaven and every other song over 8 minutes long, but alas, I've put them back in. eek

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Take them out. It's stupid to leave in crap versions & having 95%+ of your crowd asking you for the best version or what's the difference. 9 out of 10 times they are going to go on your recommendation, list the one you feel is best. If you have multiple versions, you could always flag it in your book & someone could always ask if that's a version they might be more used to. There is no reason to have 10 versions of Friends In Low Places just to be using the best version 95% of the time.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
There is no reason to have 10 versions of Friends In Low Places

is that all, I have 23 versions of it.

I am mixed on the idea, I like to give the customer the choice, but I hate the D....a.... 's coming up to me asking me to which version they ought to sing. I was getting 4-5 an hour with that question. so I took 'em all out.

I used access to take out all mine. Create a database, and make the key field the Title field. then import all the songs. it will eliminate most all the dupes then export it back out.

I sorted first and allowed the brands I wanted to use to be first on the list so I would be selectively importing the versions I wanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:37 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman, It all depends on how many friends you have in low places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I agree with Matt and Lon, et al;

there is no sense in leaving in all the crappy versions. I went through several of the Chartbuster Essential discs and, as Matt and many others have told me, some of the pop/rock stuff is bad. Some were so bad that I can't see leaving them in the book; I would be embarassed if someone wanted to sing them and I had to play them.

I think the vast majority of the time the singer is not savvy enough to say "I like the brand x version." They just want the best version, and I trust myself to decide which is best. I guess if the versions are close at all in quality I will leave then both in. But the ones that are REAL bad have to go!

My collection IS growing, Matt! :) I picked up the SC Foundation 1 and 2 and I have been picking up some stuff on ebay. My new goal is 4000 songs by the time I host my first show (March 13th).

KJ, I still can't figure out what your posts are all about!! :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
I think the vast majority of the time the singer is not savvy enough to say "I like the brand x version."
. This is the exact reason to put all your songs in. To educate people. I liken it to somebody saying we're keeping "The Hardy Boys" books but getting rid of "The Bobbsey Twins" because we think "The Hardy Boys" is better writen, or that "The Star Trek" francise is better than "The Star Wars" genre. Let the people learn and make their own choices for whatever reason. In the front of our books we have a legendas to manufacturers and explain about different manufacturers. Educate people, educate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Here's an example:

master listing

VS

Singer listing

Now you tell me which looks better! Compare them!

By the way, I know for a fact my Master songbook needs "editing"... some punctuation or spelling errors, but I think you get the point. I do all the editing on my Singer's lists!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:12 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

We tell the people to list all the different numbers on their song slips and we will try to find the best version. when they are up to sing we have the second or third disc ready to switch. our singers enjoy the fact that they have "control" over what they sing. also being ready on the mixer to help out their voice is the best key to having "happy" singers. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:34 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I remember some people saying how they like Excell because it is capable of so much more than any of the songbook softwares out there. I used Excell by typing in EVERY SINGLE entry. Good thing my girlfriend is a transcriptionist. However, to save her time, I got the KJ Pro software. And now I just found out that using KJ Pro, you can get everything done in a FRACTION of the time. And get this...THEN you can EXPORT it to Excell and WALLAAH!!! Very cool indeed! :D Girlfriend quite happy too with lots of extra time now to simply go through and correct some of the typos in the KJ Pro info. However, not NEAR as much work as before. Good luck.

Last edited by MustangMarty on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.