KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Copyright info... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Copyright info...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:45 am 
I've been reading this a lot and I've read quit a bit about the copyright situation with coping CD and such. I had a question that I couldn't find an answer for by searching the sight... so here it is.

I'm a DJ and have thought about adding Karaoke to my services... So, as I've looked into purchasing cdg's and a karaoke machine I stumbled upon the CAVS JB-99 that come pre loaded with songs. My question is where does this fall into the whole copyright situation and the coping of original discs? Should the company selling the machine provide you with original discs? Since this is available for purchase is it safe to assume that CAVS or the retailer selling this system has already worked something out with whomever they needed to? And if so should I ask them for proof of such an agreement is something like that actually exists?

I already carry an S-load of CD's and having everything digital for Karaoke would be so awesome, but I don't want any legal problems.

Thanks,
Doofer <--- thats what everyone calls me so just go with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
what comes preloaded with the Cavs machine are fully licensed tracks.

Where the grey areas are seems to be "Do you have permission to copy your own purchased tracks to a hard drive for a professional show?"

I personally feel, you DO as long as you don't use those masters elsewhere. HOWEVER, with the sole exception of Priddis, the manufacturers are saying you don't have that right... that you are in fact, violating their copyright in reproducing their works.

Matt

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I agree with what Matt said. It could be that the mfg's have purchased the rights to those tracks specifically for the purpose of producing cd+g media for resale (or other specific karaoke formats), and nothing beyond that. That having been said though, if you have rightfully purchased discs and do in fact own them, where the contraversy comes in is that some say its ok to put them on a hard drive at home for home use only, but not for the purpose of going out to run a professional show. And, that is probably true to the letter of the law. Some however profess that its ok as long as you do in fact own the original discs and do not use them for anything else (such as running multiple systems using originals on one, while using burned copies on another, which is a gross violation of the copywrite conditions). Don't know if that helps or not, but its an attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:31 am 
Thanks a lot fellas you have been ultra helpful... I think if I go the Karaoke route I will more than likely go the CAVs unit way so I don't have to expand an already ridiculously huge CD collection with Karaoke CD's. I've heard of Chartbuster, Sound Choice, etc. but not of Priddis... how do they stand up against the competition... because it seems as though they are the only company that offers what I would need to update my system.

Thax,
Doofer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Priddis seems that they're going to be a very strong manufacturer. And I liked their Lost Classic series... and the 180 song pack from them that came with my player was really good...

they don't have a "core" set (like the Chartbuster Essentials or Sound Choice Foundation) YET, although they are VERY intrigued by the idea...

if you go to karaoke.com, and do a search on that brand, the website is in the process of creating 20 second samples of all the music that they sell there... I'd go that route and listen to what you can find.

I personally only have two of their discs, but every time I buy new ones, they are my FIRST priority from now on!!

Matt

Post subject: Be careful........
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:08 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
One thing to be careful of if you're looking to purchase a CAVS JB-99 with preloaded songs is who you buy it from. Many people are loading these units with thousands of songs after they purchase the unit and then selling them. Many of these are auctioned on ebay this way and the songs are definitely not licensed. Be sure to check with any potential seller and ask if they provide manufacture certificates to verify on songs loaded are licensed.