KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - i need promotion help with this years contest....... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:47 pm 
listen i know we all have heard enough about karaoke contest do and donts.....but this year i want this to be big!!!!!!!!!! i am based in lincoln park michigan just outside of wonderful detroit.....i am looking for was to promote and advertise and to somehow get a big name star or at least someone from a recording co or at least a known name in the music industry.....last year i had a local radio station 93.1 drq judge the finals it was on of the bars bigest nights ever i want bigger!!!!!! i have a great sounding system and a great following so getting entries is no problem but im looking for the promos baby...anyway just looking for ideas that may have worked for all of you in the past.......

you all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:30 pm 
Karaoke Guy..

To get those things.. That cost ya money.. and lots of it.. Trust me on that.. Not trying to discourage ya on this, but most big artists in the industry just don't do it for free. and timing, connections, and politics usually are everything. Some won't even touch karaoke with a 10 foot pole on thier careers, unless it has alot to do with a charity. Or really makes them look super good. Even if it means that they are guarrenteed to sell 1,000 copies of thier latest CD.

In short you may find some issues with your request.

But I wish ya well anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:45 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Karaoke Guy -

Brian is right on this. I'm from Detroit originally. If you had a 93.1 DJ last year, stick with a good thing and try and get 'em back. If it was successful last year it should naturally evolve to better this year. I would think most Karaoke people would take exposure to a radio DJ over exposure to a working artist. You can bet that the DJ in question is going to at least mention what he or she did or is going to do on the airwaves. I don't think you can get better promo than that.

Just some thoughts.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Same thoughts here. Unless ya got a lot of backing, in which case you wouldn't be looking for the promotional value of a big name, you probably wouldn't get good value for your dollar or time involved with trying to nail a national talent. As above, you're probably better off going with the well known local talent and building on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:58 am 
Actually Ron, and others...
Something just dawned on me.. sure bring in the radio people.. But.. why not mix in the real Pro KJ's that have the national reputations to judge.. And I'm really not personally volunteering for this task .. but it kinda would be a draw.. if you have a budget.. and a good trustworthy set of KJ's with morals.. bring in a set of KJ's that have no reason to sing and have no interest in Biasing your show, But will keep it honest. I'm thinking those like MV, and those who REALLY know competition. and mix them in with the radio people. I'm willing to bet it would be a plus, And entertaining to say the least. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:39 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I can add one more thing to this from personal experience. I'm pretty new in this location, but I went to a competition at a club here back in November. The contest was advertised in the "valley" newspaper which covers three Counties. A DJ from one of the larger radio stations broadcast his show live from the contest. The judging panel consisted of the Radio DJ, the Club Owner and the KJ. The place was stuffed. You couldn't fit in one more person with a shoe horn. The Radio DJ was doing live interviews with the Bar employees, the audience and contestants.

I did enter the contest. Talk about a rush! I was runner-up (bigger rush). The awards were also presented live over the radio (breakdown). :shock: :D

Like I say, I'm new in this area, but I got the distinct impression that this was an annual event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:34 am 
Norm,
I have run many Contests and Competitions when it came down to karaoke.. My big selling point was to keep my staff and the bar staff, and my working KJ's out of the of the competition, & judging. They could not compete or sing. the scoring was kept fair and honest and all scores, and comments were posted... and YES we did use music industry judges. but.. not Artists. Mostly reginal level indie producers who knew talent and were honest and wise to the industry's evil. I will not advocate such an act again, however.

Publicity stunts are great. However, they are great risks to security and magnets to huge lawsuits. so stick to tried and true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I might be being naive but wasn't there a rather big record company in Detroit?
An A&R man from Motown would be a huge draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:20 pm 
Barry
motown got swollowed up several years ago by a major label... it's long gone.

honestly... I need to go back and really read on what happened to the label. I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:32 pm 
Barry,
A&R people like to be in a place and not seen... if they are seen in a place that has alot of "Want to be discovered talent" like competitions... it just turns the place upside down. so it's best not to announce that before or during the competition. it's best to announce the judges at the end. and get them outta there if they are "industry people" or if they prefer to stay let them make the call when they want to leave but provide more than adiquate security for them. Been there, done that .. PERSONALLY!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:45 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian Douglas wrote:
Norm,
I have run many Contests and Competitions when it came down to karaoke.. My big selling point was to keep my staff and the bar staff, and my working KJ's out of the of the competition, & judging. They could not compete or sing. the scoring was kept fair and honest and all scores, and comments were posted... and YES we did use music industry judges. but.. not Artists. Mostly reginal level indie producers who knew talent and were honest and wise to the industry's evil. I will not advocate such an act again, however.

Publicity stunts are great. However, they are great risks to security and magnets to huge lawsuits. so stick to tried and true.

Brian-

You are probably right about the way the contest was run. I may have done it differently, but I was just an accidental participant. Maybe that's the way they do things here in small town USA. It's a continuous learning experience for me. My point was that the DJ and radio involvement was the draw that packed the house that night.

Norm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Barry-

I was at the Motown funeral wake, so to speak. Barry Gordy (the Motown founder) was long gone West and his sister Ester gave a last cocktail party in the pool house of their Mansion in Detroit. I was invited because I was dating Mr. Gordy's accountant's secretary at the time. You can tell how well I knew the Gordy's ... LOL. It really was a bittersweet moment.

Norm