KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Which cdgs should i get? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
To each their own. I don't generally return to shows that have crappy selections (quality of discs & sound). But that's just me. I like to hear music close to the original & sound as close to band sound as possible.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:31 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Actually, some of the cheaper brand renditions are easier to sing than the Sound Choice versions. Many singers have SGB and the like in their home collections. They are familiar and comfortable with them and if they have a choice, will prefer to sing the version they have at home. Having some SBG, Backstage, All Hits, Helluvadisc, HotStuff, etc. is perfectly fine for starting out. You just need to make sure that you avoid the true stinkers. Personally, I was not impressed with the Backstage Phil Collins disc. I had friends over a few weeks ago and they did not think it was bad at all. Go figure.
Additionally, many hardcore singers that insist on specific versions of the songs they sing bring their own discs to the shows.

You have to start somewhere. But if you want to run a first rate show, you will have to fill your library with quality discs along the way.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I agree with a lot of what's been said here, but wanted to say penn65000 hit on a good one - from the singers standpoint. Folks, that's what really counts as that's what brings your customers in, or keeps them coming back. There are two things I'd add to penn's post: 1. In addition to having good quality discs/system, as a KJ you need to do everything you can to make each singer sound the best you can as far as adjusting your system (levels, treb/bass. echo, etc.), I've seen too many KJ's who just make initial settings at the beginning of the night and leave it there all night long regardless of what the music and or singer sounded like. And 2. You need to not only listen to your customers, but need to interact with them in such a way as to make it fun for them so they'll not only enjoy themselves, but will want to come back. They'll have a reason specifically to pick you and your show, rather than any of the other however many are avail in your area. I don't have the biggest show in this area. I don't have the best, or most expensive system. I don't play in the biggest, most expensive venues. But I have developed a loyal following, I think because they know I'm fair, and they know they're going to have a good time when they come to my show. That means a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Quantity isn't everything Jim!

I can't agree with what you said. If I go into a show and see a fairly large songbook, I'm impressed. But the moment I sing off the sucker and it's a sweet georgia brown when I know for a fact it's available on other things, I'm soured.

If it happens on another "popular" song, I'lm outta there.

A venue right across the street from a fairly popular "hangout" tried that. They got all these "packs", and suddenly, had close to five thousand songs!!

But they were all &*%$!! I walked up to the manager, and handed him my receipt for dinner... and told him that amount of money he made from me tonight was ALL they were ever going to make from me, because their karaoke was so terrible. I can live with okay knowledge of how to mix you vs the music. I can live with okay mics... but dammit, I want GOOD versions of songs!

That's why I have 14,000 songs, but only 7,000 non-repeats... because I'm constantly improving what I have.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:09 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Have to agree with Knight. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:33 pm 
If I and my customers can sing it, and it it brings them back and if it sounds great to them and if i have the versions they want to sing..
I have always tried to "superserve" to me "Quality" has always counted and to hit as close to the original versions as humanly possible.
and i can bring them back by allowing them to leave my shows very happy... I have won the game. Let my competition wonder what actually happened to thier show? :grumble: :puke: :bawling: :argue: :bigcry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You guys are blowing enough hot air to blow up the "Hindenburg".

When I was a singer only I could care less about the disc manufacturer.

Last Saturday at my show:

One lady and Man complained thru a whole song that the lyrics were wrong, It was a Pocket songs disc.

One guy complained that the music and lyrics were wrong on Jay Z's "I Just Wanna Love You" It was a Sound Choice disc

Another guy complained about the lyrics being wrong on "LA Woman". He claimed the first verse should be "Did a little girl about an hour ago" The cdg version is "Just got in to town about an hour ago"(I looked it up, The cdg version Is correct)

However, I got no complaints on the All Hits version of "Whole Lotta Love" that one of these people did, And no complaint on the Music Maestro version of "Big Poppa" that one of these people did, Go figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:55 pm 
BJC,
Can you read music? compare the sheet music version and the original CD versions to the Karaoke versions.. That's were I go from. not from some website, some of those websites print the Karaoke lyrics!!! :shock:

I have found Varied versions on the web too!

Go Figure! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:37 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

As i said in another forum if you have more than one version of the song be prepared to switch discs if the singer complains. without the singers you do not have a show. as is in all business the singer is always right.

the top four brands may get a little pticey, but then again you have to spend money to make money.

i have just about every label out there and prefer sound choice over all of them. but for budget concerns like chartbusters lifetime replacement policy...

fill your library with whatever you want but be prepared. you will not be able to please every singer out there but if the majority like your show then they will tell others and become "loyals". shows will come and go but the music will play forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:56 pm 
DJ,

You are so right!

And people asked me why I have so many songs in my Main system??
and so many Duplicated titles??

LMAO!!

I'm glad to see that somebody finally posted a agreement on my viewpoint.

almost 55 maunfacturers world-wide that EVER that I have found out about and I still don't have them all.

I only have 32 in my private collection of various medias.

Wait til I start to add Japanise titles to my books!!! LMAO!! :shock: :P