KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - We ALL know this guy... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: We ALL know this guy...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Ok--

Rather than (@$%&#!) about the darth of posting on this board, maybe I'll start one up myself.

On this thread, let's all talk about the customers we love to hate. Chances are that he, or someone like him, has been to just about everyone's show. So tell us who we have to look forward to meeting sometime down the road. I'll start:

This guy comes in to my show about once a month, and I think he's managed to get trapped in the late 1970's. Before every song he has to give some banal prologue about how he and his friend [insert orignal artist here] used to do this one for all the true believers back in [insert year of original release]. As if that isn't bad enough, he screams into the microphone and then is constantly telling me to turn up his mic. Little does he know I keep it on the low side just for the protection of the other customers in the venue because he sings so horribly.

Tell us about YOUR guy!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:52 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Anybody that wants to sing the full length version of 'American Pie'!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:41 pm 
(insert Bohemian Rhapsody here) :roll: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:30 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Oops! I may have been this guy once or twice.....spoiled singer. But I have grown to hate the full version of American Pie and Hotel California. :lol:

There are those who annoy the singer's and the KJs. Such as...

I only know one song guy....I pull the mic cord guy....I can make your ears bleed guy....I drop the mic everytime I sing guy....and finally, I didn't win the contest and let's blame everyone else guy, my personal favorite!

There is this singer who jumps arround and up and down, trying to be a rock star, he makes the discs skip....LOL

[glow=blue]Tequila & A Song
KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
you guys are killing me... I DO like the long version of American Pie... IF it's done right! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:13 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The worst for me is going up after someone that eats the mic. Everytime he sings, he cups the mic, shouts, and spits into it. It really is disgusting. Last week was the first time I was immediately after him in the rotation. The KJ used to constantly tell him not to cup the mic but hold it by the body instead. I guess he just gave up and eq'd out the mic to avoid potential feedback. But, when he does this, the singer shouts even louder.

What can you do.

American Pie long version is just too long for karaoke performances. I like the song and have sung it many happy hours in my youth. Longer songs tend to keep the crowd into the performance if they are duets and performed well. Paradise by the Dashboard Light can be great if it is performed well and you have the right crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:12 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

There are 2 type guys that drive me nuts:

1. As above the guy that cups/swallows/yells into the mic. The more you try to make up for it, the louder they yell. Really makes it hard to get them to sound anywhere near good.

2. The drunk type that only know 1 or 2 songs, but want to sing each one 3 or 4 times in the same night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:02 am 
Ron..
You forgot the .. Female singer that is sooooo Grossly out of key does just turn your spine inside out... but you have to admit her personality can be as sweet as sugar at times.. ... at times... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:52 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Well heres my 2 bits,

I think the group of idiots that want to sing every song in the grease soundtrack and then add loveshack out to be taken to the parking lot and shot.

lol

TBK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:43 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Loveshack.....Paridise By The Dashboard Light......Picture is moving in that direction.....like 'em all but they get over played....

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:13 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

How about the guy that wants to know if you have that song, you know the one from that green record. No he doesn't know the name of the song or the artist but he does know that it is on the green record. Then he gets p****d when you can't help him.

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:16 pm 
Max..
I love it.. LMAO! You just earned a place in my heart on that one.. it reminded me of my radio days!! :wink: Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
How about the divas. You know the ones, your bass iss too high, your tops are too low, not enough reverb, too much reverb. The expert mixers who think they can do the job better. Even better is when you appear to change things but don't and they then thank you for the great sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:11 am 
OK Tim.. That's getting a little personal.. Ask me about the smart butt that brought a piece of audio diagnostic equipment into one of my shows one time??... I had him tossed out.. :x :shock: :twisted: :evil:

that fixed the jack*@& :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:20 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I was in a contest once and ask the KJ to turn the reverb up a bit, I 've been singin' that ol' song for years and knew that it required a little more. In fact the orignal artist used quite a bit on most of his songs. Well he did turn it up! Way up! I sounded like I was in an echo chamber...LOL

The concept of one size fits all does not translate well into sound adjustment...As in anything some KJs are better at sound quality than others....after a while most know where it is best set for individual singers, based of previous trips to their mic....

Others I have found don't give a S*** what a person sounds like....finally there are those who because they'er unhappy with you will intentionally make you sound bad.....I've seen it done plenty of times....

Funny no one mentioned the mic tappers, mic lickers and mic blowers....

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Hey we always say you hit our mics we're going to hit your ...... As for the KJ who doesn't adjust sound or goes out of their way to make someone sound bad will not last. If you go to a professional show you won't have that worry. If it's not professional are you really going to return anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:17 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well I might return if I sounded good....and if the drinks were strong and cheap!.....

The guy who adjusted the reverb to 10+, professes to be the most professional KJ in a 3 county area....charges the most....complains the most....he just hates for anyone to ask for any adjustment in sound....his additude needs adjustin'.....

Now the guy down the street charges less...some of his discs skip...but he can adjust a mic perfectly... go figure....

The first guy plays in the higher class venues...the other guy plays in smoke filled honky tonks and neon lit bars....

Kahuna worked as a bouncer with him at one time I believe....maybe he has a few thoughts...

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:39 pm 

How about the guy/girl that turns in the slip with no song number and when you point it out they get pissed you don't know it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:11 am 
Hey Mike,
If I posted My whole Company's show schedule on the signature on the signature of EVERY post I did everybody in Arizona and New Mexico Would have a Hissy fit.. Plus also the posts would take up alot of space too.. I think it would be a good idea just to have your web on there.. Just a friendly suggestion.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:39 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

How about the guy with the 6 line signature block who tells another guy that the 9 line block is too long...

LOL