KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Firewalls and KS Site Operation Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Firewalls and KS site.

Just for general consumption. I had many problems with KS site operation so far as login and some other features go. I was driving poor Phill crazy trying to fix them :( . I use a Zone Alarm Pro firewall and shut it down one day out of shear fraustration. It worked like a charm. Had some problems at other sites as well. Everything "went away". Just wanted to post this if anyone else might be having a problem here or elsewhere you might want to check your firewalls.

Sorry for any aggrivation I may have caused you Phill!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm a novice webmaster and someday hope to learn to be as good as Phill, Someday may be eons from now.

Listen to this crazy loop. Try engaging your firewall again but make sure a ks link is in your favorites.
Now click favorites and quickly left click the ks link 3,4,or 5 times. You will most likely get the ks homepage.
Now click "Whats New" and after that page loads click "Classifieds".

Now click "Discussion Forum"
Same scenario for "Ask Sammy".

Phill will think I'm nuts now!(If he already hasn't) Its better your way Penn.

BTW: Phill, This morning I noticed 7 new members that joined in 1969, Check your members area, I think there are some hooligans aboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:46 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I use McAfee firewall, viruscan and privacy software, and the only time I've encountered a problem was when trying to activate my Music Book Deluxe software. It would not work as it needed to be able to interact without the security software interfering with it. Had to deactivate it, do the download, then reactivate it. The only thing I don't like about that is if you use high speed cable connections, it leaves you vulnerable during the time its deactivated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:11 pm 
Phill is going to dislike me for posting this but..
I use the new Zone alarm pro 4.5 and this is an accepted site yes i do block popups and advertizing (sorry phill) :cry: it is replaced by the word AD when i'm shopping for something i can open that restriction and i'll go shopping.. no biggie.. but Being on AOL the worlds worst place to be and still get hacked.. I have learned that i need higher security than a norton or Macafee firewall. I have yet to see anyone drive a mack truck through ZA pro and a router and my external firewall yet.. atleast on the office system on the notebook zone alarm works just fine.

I'm quite happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:24 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian - I still use my ZA pro and you're right, you can't drive a Mack Truck through it. I guess I don't have enough computer savy to get the settings right for what I consider "friendly sites" like KS and some others. If I'm traveling the net in strange places, handling mail or on standby, its always up and running. :) I also use Norton Anti-Virus (always up) and the firewall provided with XP Pro (always up), also Earthink has a pretty good Pop Up Blocker that I can shut off if necessary. Even with my ZA off, I'm never totally defenseless.