KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - any help welcome Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: any help welcome
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:18 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi, I'm new to this so bare with me please. I would like to buy a karaoke system for my girlfriend but I dont know which to get. I would like to get something good and not really a toy. If it sounds good she would really love it. I would like it to be as simple as possible to use. It would be used at home and maybe for parties.
I have read about CAVS HDV 201A and Koriteck Handystar, they are about 300 -500 pounds I think. Am I making a mistake in paying so much or would they be perfect for what I am looking for??
Do you have any suggestions?
Hope you can help me as its getting a little close to Christmas and I dont have a clue what to buy.

Thanks.
ps.. Is it possible to reply to ianswilliamson@hotmail.com
if not I will try to look again in here very soon. thanks again

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:53 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
are you looking for an all in one system??

Or just a player?

Or a player with an amplifier and speakers??

Or what exactly?

Do you want the songs on the system? Or would you be happy with the SuperCDG format with a disc that has over 1,000 songs on it?

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:09 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Knightshow,
I think that what this guy needs is a player and a PA package, (just a guess).
If this is true, I'd recommend a JVC single drawer or a Pioneer 2 drawer player.
The question then would be what kind of PA package?
A couple of PA pks. come to my mind, but I would like to wait and see what you, Morten, and Lonman would recommend before I open my mouth.
Between the 4 of us I'm sure we can direct this guy towards a system that will kick some tail.
Does anyone know the rate of exchange between the dollar and the pound?

Kojak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:22 am 

Hi,
Ok firstly thank you for the responce. Let me also just say that I dont know any of the jargon - for instance PA package means nothing to me. All in one , or player, two drawer eh??????? HELP!!!!
For my girlfriend the hardwear is not going to become a hobbie or passtime. Shes just gonna be happy to sing her little heart out at home I suppose, and be generally very supprised that I have bought her this in the first place. In saying that I would like something that allows a fairly good quality of sound but not something that needs to be upgraded also.
I dont really want to be having to go on line to buy new songs either, so the first suggestion that has a disc with 1000 songs on it, sounds ideal.
As I've said I'm not looking for a toy and am prepaired to pay up to 300 pounds which I think will be around 400-450 dollars.
I've been looking a bit more and if there are machines out there that can operate as a normal DVD then I think that would be great also as she kinda would have two presents in one.
I suppose if you had to recommend something for your sister or girlfriends and you had to expect them to opperate it themselves then you might be on the right lines.
If anyone has an idea what would suit .. I would love to hear from you.
I hope my total lack of knowledge about this is not too annoying.

...cheers

ps. I'm wondering with whatever you might recommend - how would she record what she has just sang...would it be a facility within the system or would another peice of equipment have to be wired to it to allow this..
It would be just be a nice to have, and not altogether esential to have it integral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:51 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I'm going to take a little liberty in what I "think" you are looking for.... Based on what you've said It's just a home based system for your girl to sing her little heart out and maybe record herself. I'm guessing again in her home basement or bedroom so POWER isn't a major concern. Personally I would go with an ALL IN ONE SYSTEM which means ..just what it implies and Not recommended for proffesional use by KJ's etc.
Look at the "karaoke "' web sites... Try a simple search for CDG players or Karaoke and look for all in one portable systems . They range anywhere from $75usd to $1000 usd. I think for $500 usd you can get her a VERY NICE home based portable system . (try VOCOPRO) Most pros will say stay away from Vocopro but for home use Its ok !!

I would suggest for the microphone you look at your local music/pro audio store and pick up a half way decent mic ($50-$75 usd)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Try looking at the SUPERCDG format... it's a specific player (here's one for example), and it DOES come with 1,200 songs... you can buy other discs too. For $399.00 (not including shipping and handling)

THE PROBLEM with this format is that not every manufacturer has signed on for this. From what I've HEARD, the only tracks you're going to get are some Chartbuster, some Top Hits Monthly, some Music Maestro, Sweet Georgia Brown, and other LESS DESIRABLE tunes. (The best of the group is the Chartbuster and THM stuff!!!)

For what you're looking for, it's not half bad!

NOW, you'll need a system to HOOK this player up to. I would NOT recommend hooking this system up to a home stereo, UNLESS it is already used for "live mic" or "Live Voice"... do a search on the ask Sammy forum here for other such recommendations.

Personally, I'd choose the AKJ7000 amp. But that's me. But you'll need some type of amp to hook up to speakers... Do a yahoo search for that amp. It runs from $399 on sale to $500 US. There ARE other cheaper units that might work for home usage, however. I just have no experience with them, and can only make a semi-educated guess.

I DO use the AJK7000 unit for my mobile, and it works great!!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The other thing is that if you get an all-in-one system, it should do fine for home use as stated above. As far as the discs go, I'd recommend you stay with the standard CDg's as that's where your best choices for any type music will come from. Once you have a starter package of discs you can add to them in any number of ways. You can pick up more package deals, individual discs maybe full of a particular artist she likes, or custom discs with specific songs she may want on them. It gives you the most flexibility to keep her happy for the forseeable future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:12 pm 

Hi all,

Well I've looked at all the suggestions and I think the best option for us is a Vocopro colt or bravo.
I know this might me sacralige to some of the more serious guys out there, but like I say we're not over serious about this and want to keep it as simple as possible. From what I can see you just plug the unit into a TV, turn it on and your away. And thats exactly what will work best for my girlfriend. I think the units looks good and she will be able to make cassette recordings too.

Thanks for all the help I've been given....just like to say I''m impressed with the forum and the community spirit felt here.
Thanks again

Best wishes from Scotland for Christmas and the New Year.

Ian Williamson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:43 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Ian,
Before you buy, consider wheither or not the unit that you're looking at is compatable with the power used in your country, ie. 110 vs 220.
You should also consider whiether or not the unit is compatable with the TV system used in your area ie. NTSC vs PAL.
The bravo unit boasts the ability to run on both 110 & 220 volts, and switches from PAL to NTSC.
Post again to let us know what you get and how your girlfriend likes it.

BTW...

PA=public address or public announce, this is the system that you use to process and amplify sound, (speakers, amplifiers, equlizers, sound procesors,etc.). Pros often refer to thier main speakers as PAs.
A sound source such as a CD, DVD, cassette player is not considered part of the PA, but it is considered part of an audio "rack".

The number of drawers that a player has is just the number of places that you can put disks to be played, ie. 1 drawer 1 disk, 2 drawers 2 disks, etc.

Good Luck!

Kojak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:59 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Ian,
Before you buy, consider wheither or not the unit that you're looking at is compatable with the power used in your country, ie. 110 vs 220.
You should also consider whiether or not the unit is compatable with the TV system used in your area ie. NTSC vs PAL.
The bravo unit boasts the ability to run on both 110 & 220 volts, and switches from PAL to NTSC.
Post again to let us know what you get and how your girlfriend likes it.

BTW...

PA=public address or public announce, this is the system that you use to process and amplify sound, (speakers, amplifiers, equlizers, sound procesors,etc.). Pros often refer to thier main speakers as PAs.
A sound source such as a CD, DVD, cassette player is not considered part of the PA, but it is considered part of an audio "rack".

The number of drawers that a player has is just the number of places that you can put disks to be played, ie. 1 drawer 1 disk, 2 drawers 2 disks, etc.

Good Luck!

Kojak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hi,

here is what I would do.

- Get a CD+G compatible CD-reader/burner for your computer. You can get a Plextor for $50

- Find a USB soundcard, Creative was selling one for ~$100. Or save the $100 initially and use the built in sound card if it is decent.

These two items provide you the equivalent of a player.

- Buy CD+G discs and rip them onto your hard drive.

- Get computer karaoke software, ~$50

You girlfriend or you can now easily play any song straight from your computer with the lyrics on the monitor. You won't need a separate tv.

- Get a sound system. If you lived in the US I would recommend a Carvin system (www.carvin.com). For the sound system I would recommend:

* a powered mixer, ex. PA620 for $300

* one speaker (rather one good than two crummy) ex. a Carvin 832 (w. 15" woofer) $250

* XLR cable for the mic and 1/4" for the speaker ~$30

- get a Shure SM58 microphone ~$100

- get speaker stand and mic stand $70

For $850-950 you now have a kick (@$%&#!) home system, much better than the combined jobs. It is only one speaker and mono, but so are the combined systems. You can use any CD+G, yet you have direct access to all your songs.

Of course if you want to expand you have many options. You could buy another speaker. You can add microphones or a monitor system. Or you cna buy a good library of songs which significantly adds to the enjoyment. Also, if you don't like my computer idea you could get a player and either use an old tv or get a small tv for lyrics.

There are many ways to skin a cat...

The advantage of this way is for roughly the same cost you get a very flexible system with pro sound.

Morten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:41 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Morten,
From what I can tell, ease of use and straight forward recording capabilities are issues for Ian. As much as I dislike turnkey systems, I think that for him, it's the way to go. A present that his girlfriend can open up and connect to the TV, slap a CDG into, sing, and make tapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Well I'm pretty sure whatever he is going to purchase will be within the United Kingdom or Europe so the voltage will not be a problem. As far as what he 's looking at for what he needs is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:20 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The only thing I would add, is to look at the "MTV" brand machines- they have the CDG player, tape deck, and a built in 5.5" TV- so there are no connection problems. I know they are cheap, and a little cheesy, but it might serve his needs also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:27 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Kojak,

you are probably right. I was just looking at the Vocopro site. 4/5" woofers in their units for home use. Boy, either the level is really low or there is no bass...

And if you get one of their "pro" models with 15" woofer it is like $2500!

Not a good value.

Morten