KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - MONTHLY NEW RELEASES Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MONTHLY NEW RELEASES
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
At my (2) current weekly shows I have a fairly steady crowd ..mostly middle aged + . On rare occasions I do have a younger crowd that wants to sing. I'm thinking about signing up for one of these AUTOMATIC release deals where the new monthly releases are shipped asap.
Is anyone or everyone doing this? My concern is that until the songs are over played on the radio my "regular" crowd won't request them and I'll be sitting with discs that rarely get used for a few months ?

What do you guys and (GIRLS) experiance? Are you getting ALL the monthly New Releases as soon as released ? And are they being played?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:34 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I used to get the monthly Sunfly releases until I noticed that they were hardly ever being requested!

I now wait a while, see what's being asked for and then order it on a custom disc!

That way you only get what you want!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't do an auto subscription, but I do get probably 7-9 Pop Hits Monthly, Nashville edition a year. Usually I'll wait till there's 2 or 3 I want, then order them all at the same time. It works out fine. Don't think anyone else in this area gets the new stuff any faster, at least not enough faster that it would make a difference. 3 or 4 times a year there's nothing on them that's worthwhile, and I don't care to pay that price for something that nobody sings. Of the ones I do get, there's usually 3-4 songs per disc that people will sing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I used to keep up to date but now since they broke it down into 4 different discs, Country,Rock,Hip Hop, Pop VS just Country and Pop, Its gotten a little expensive to stay current.

I'm behind usually about 6 months, Although I just bought some current stuff in the last month.

I like to wait and see whats hot and then buy a disc containing as many hot songs as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:35 pm 
I used to when I did competitions.. not any more.. now I just get what is needed.. some of the clients still do but it is not a inexpensive thing..
buy by your gut feeling and by versions that are tried and true.. the known best versions.. second rate is not always the best choice.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
You'll probably end up getting a bunch of discs that will get done for a few weeks, then lie dormant after the radios quit playing them. Some of the songs will remain strong, then you'll get some that will never get touched. Take requests from your customers, & buy for them provided they are reasonable requests.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Like many of the others, I USED to... but like BJC says, the four lines are just too expensive. In fact, I've NEVER bought any of the Urban discs!

The last update I did was four months ago, and that ended with the Sept03 discs. I've had a grand total of six people sing off the 03 discs!!

As has been noted, from now on, I'll track the requests, and buy customs or get a relevant disc that has many of the songs!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:36 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I buy the THM country disc every month because I have a good deal of my audience that enjoys singing country. Since I don't LISTEN to country music, I simply trust THM to have the hot new country. I occasionally buy a rock disc because the music there is much harder than my clientele prefers. Never bought an urban disc, but I buy pop more months than I don't.

You've got to realize that when buying ANY disc, the majority of songs on the majority of discs will rarely (if ever) get played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
We get the four THMs every month. We find THM is a higher quality musically than PHM. We have various singers of all the genres and most of the discs still get used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:48 pm 
Tim..
Can ya get canadian indie karaoke music on thm??? or do ya have another source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:49 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I always get the new release disks sent from Sunfly each month I dont mind if they dont always get used. Some songs dont get released for months after but I have them when they are popular. I get them from Sunfly because you get one and the second one is free. I also have a younger crowd and they love the radio songs and the rock songs.

But I dont buy all new releases as I find I like to look for the songs that are the most unusual and I love the songs from the 80's which seems to be more fun.

You should only buy what you need, and if people seem to want new songs grab a disk with they every couple of months.

Good luck

Shell :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL Appreciate all the honesty :D
So I'll continue to do what I've done in the past which seems to be the MAJORITY and that is ...Listen to the SINGERS and get what they request.
I've found in the past that most of the requests for songs are for "older" releases anyway . I guess it all depends on the venue and clientele also
If I happen to pick up another venue where everyone is 20something I might have some cathing up to do cause alll they want is what is NEW & HOT ...Thanks Again !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL Appreciate all the honesty :D
So I'll continue to do what I've done in the past which seems to be the MAJORITY and that is ...Listen to the SINGERS and get what they request.
I've found in the past that most of the requests for songs are for "older" releases anyway . I guess it all depends on the venue and clientele also
If I happen to pick up another venue where everyone is 20something I might have some cathing up to do cause alll they want is what is NEW & HOT ...Thanks Again !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Unless a Canadian artist is big internationally ie Shania Twain, Nickleback, etc, Canadian songs on karaoke have been rare until recently. We now have four manufacturers of Canadian music www.karaokemaker.com, singking, gamesman, and newfiekaraoke. For those of you interested in Canadian music these discs on the most part are very good.

My ranking for them are:

1. Karaokemaker (par to Soundchoice or THM)
2. Sing King (a very close second)
3. Gamesman (a little too midi)
4. Newfie Karaoke (a specialty in Newfoundland music, fairly poor musically but it's the only place it's available)

Total discs out at present are about 13 discs released and 2 or three coming out shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:51 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I guess it just goes to show you individual tastes... I personally prefer the Pop Hits Monthly over the THM brands.

THM also takes a lot of liberties with licensing, where PHM tries much harder to follow the true line. Because of this, I don't trust THM that much, and instead I stick with companies that are more honorable.

My opinion... take it or leave it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:33 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I have to agree with knightshow on this one. I also prefere the PHM to THM. Its just a personal thing. I concentrate mostly on the Nashville editions as country/western is predominate at my shows (holds true with most shows in this area just because of the location). But still, I don't get anything on automatic distribution as I don't want to end up with a bunch of discs that nobody sings from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:01 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
PHM over THM. THM's music is weak & lacking. Audioslave - Like A Stone is a perfect example. I had it on THM first (somebody gave it to me) & I thought cool, but bought it on PHM & the music is MUCH fuller & truer to the original.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile