KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - John Lennon - Dec 8th 1980 Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I still find it hard to believe it happened, let alone so long ago!

Barry.

Last edited by Barry James on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:45 am 
There has been an annual songwriting competition named in his music memory. those who can write and sing are encouraged to participate.
"John Lennon Memorial Songwriting Competition"
I don't remember the url
Sorry folks but Mr lennon's music made a lasting impression on everybody's music of all genras.. He is very much missed.

Brian Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:57 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Seems hard to believe it's been 23 years! I'll never forget that moment ... I watched the news in disbelief! John's music was our youth, our hopes, our dreams. I guess it's comparable to JFK ... it's hard to comprehend that one demented person can take someone that much a part of us away ... it's too senseless! Just imagine, what that one lone gunman stole from all of us ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:41 am 
I was watching TV when the announcement was made, I had a show that night, I was living in San Francisco at the time, everything shut down that night, and we all went down to the club i was appearing at to watch the news unfold. "Imagine" has always been my favorite John Lennon song, he may be gone but his music lives on "Forever".....MV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:36 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Yes, everything did seem to shut down that night ... I'm not sure but it seems like it was a Monday, I remember it was during a televised football game that the announcer said John Lennon had been shot! I can't remember who the announcer was, but he was visibly shaken! It was surreal ... everything kind of stopped ... then the announcement came ... that he was dead ..... it was like a bad dream!

Just curious Barry ... being that you're from Liverpool ... where were you and what is your memory of that day?

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love, you make"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I was in high school... and it affected me to a huge degree. Not many of my friends, but man the TEACHERS!!!

I walked into my drama class, and Miss Ladesiche was dabbing her eyes. I had always liked her, and she was exceedingly kind. I walked up and said "John?" and she nodded and started crying. I held her in my arms, and before she was done, I was too!

I had a great affinity for Mr. Lennon's music. Ironically, when Quantum Leap came out, and during the episode where Sam (Scott Bakula) has leapt into himself when he was 16, he played that song and sang "Imagine" for his sister, in an effort to show her he was truly from the future.

His best friend that was still in the future (in holographic form) Al joined in, and the haunting melody really made an impact. For in the saga told on the show, Al had been a P.O.W. for seven years... hearing and seeing him sing the song, knowing the meaning behind the words... man, it had me crying all over again!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was living on 3rd avenue and 60th street which is not far from the Dakota, Some blocks north and across Central Park.

I was pretty shocked and saddened.

My first daughter was a baby and I was working 2 1/2 jobs at the time , So I didn't have any real time to go to the big memorial ceremonies. My ex wife went to a few of the memorials.

I still remember the group "The Police" Coming to the fore at that time in popular music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This was a dupe post via pc glitch so I'll just add a BTW

BTW, My date of marriage to my ex wife is Dec, 8th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I feel a strange kinship with him. A little known fact is that him and Sean have the same birthday, 10/9. I was actually born the same exact day as Sean, about 2 miles away in Manhattan.

And to close the loop, when my son was just born, Carters released a line of John Lennon everything. We are now using a bouncy seat that plays Imagine, a pack and play that has Imagine and classical music, numerous outfits, Lennon pacifiers, and even a changing table pad. I figure by the time my son is old enough to appreciate music, he'll either love him, or hate him.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hi, Sheree,
I was actually living in Cheddar, in Somerset, at the time but there was a strong scouse community there.
After the initial shock, pain, disgust and floods of tears we all gravitated to our local and sat about talking. Strangely, not one of the Scouse crew was absent that day!

The worst bits were the memorials back in Liverpool where there was an outpouring of grief the likes of which i had never experienced before and hope never to again!

For all his faults, Lennon wanted what most of my generation wanted!
Peace and Love!

How ironic that he should die by the bullet!