KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How do I keep all these CD's on buying? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
captain,
That was the way I was doing it, when I had less than 200 cd's and it was reasonable then. But now I am over 1,000 cds and also singers tend to get confused when they have a large mfg number ie:(cba-90007 track 12) it is easer for a singer to remember song 1001 (if this were disk 10 song 1) or 1012 (disk 10 song 12).

Then you have the singers wanting to know why you have 15 diffrent listings for the same song.........

of course we also have the trailer park crew that cant read, and just ask for a song. But that happens everywhere.

consecutive numbering is the easiest.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:43 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Barry James wrote:
Most singers coulndn't tell a Sunfly from a Backstage if it's equalised properly

You'd be surprised how many want a specific brand. I do not list duplicates & list the version I feel is best - for book space purpose mainly with a disclaimer that I do have different discs that may have the particular song on another manufacturer - I get people asking for particular brands all the time, not so much because they think it's better, but more because it's what they are used to. Don't assume just because it may sound the same to you because it's eq'd properly that the singer is thinking the same thing!
I personally list all discs by MFG codes & store them in jewel cases. A little more bulky but this works the best way for me. I tried the binders for my regular audio cd's & they got scratched more often trying to insert & remove from the sleeves. I'll never use them again.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
I agree Lonman most singers who are regulars are very savvy as to what they prefer whether we like their choice or not. For example the SC version of Takin Care Of Business is very close to the original but I prefer the KJTools/Pioneer version as I like the way they arranged it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:05 pm 
Lonman,
Are you sure you didn't read about or see one of my DJ's tips seminars???

sorry... i'm just kidding.. :angel:

there was a conferencre topic on the cd storage and handling issues thing.. i did a breakout thing back in the early to mid 90's in arizona for the local club dj's for 2 years..
We also brought in some real good east coast DJ's too.. many now have retired and own clubs..or just simply quit.

anyways i'm with you on this one... All the way! been to that rodeo too many times..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:03 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
Been Liked: 0 time
AMEN JIMMY!

I have been a working KJ for over 7 years. With over 3K cdg's I need to be mobile, have security with the discs, access them quickly and easily in a small space most often. Case Logic and Fellows disc binders of parachute material are my choice.

I write in gold or silver paint pen on the outside of the cover what discs by letter I have in each binder. Inside I have the sections tabbed with stick on tabs by make or disc series. Each disc pocket has an Avery mailing label on the right corner of each disc pocket, written with the disc lettering and disc number in black SHARPIE marking pen. It is easily seen in the dark.

If I wish or need to move discs I can easily move the tab and peel the mailing label, black out the paint pen on the binder front with the black SHARPIE pen.

I pull my binders in 2 long wheeled duffle suitcases when I leave they are with me, since that is where my money is tied up. I don't use the back page of the large binders as they gather grit. As a working library and with all methods of carrying and storing discs there are going to be losses or damage over time to a disc. No matter what system you use take steps to care for your discs and livelihood. Be careful.

I was sideswiped last Saturday by a drunk driver doing 80 mph racing a car down hwy 90 in front of the club. I took my discs came out and I wheeled them into a relative's car as my van was towed away - we were OK (the little 20 year old "snit" has insurance so things will be taken care of).

ImageSTAR KARAOKE / Debra LewisImage