KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Vote On New Options ATTN: PHILL Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next

Should we add any of these features to the SS?
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
That's a good point Joyce! Numbers don't always add up like they should.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 32
Been Liked: 9 times
Sorry, but I don't have anything helpful to add here, except....we all suck!! Lets just be happy with a 5 and call it even........ :shock: ------------------ LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  :no:

NO NO NO NO NO!!  :jk:

I read a little bit here, but didn't finish, and I thought the ideas were good, so I thought I'd break the seriousness a little with some poor humor....that's all. LOL

There are alot of shining stars here in SS, and they have every right to expect glamorous numbers from every listener, but the fact remains, not everyone likes the same thing.
Now if that were the case by a listener who comments on a critique sub,(just didn't like it), but comments in a way that rips the cords from the singer's soul, that singer should see it for what it really is, and not let it be worth a stand-off.
I remember a few times I had some weird comments on a "just for fun" sub....which all of mine are, but I had to dismiss it just as that. I never stopped trying to sing, or let the comments turn me into a freakin' mess.....I was more like...... :no:  :no:  :no:  Am I to fall for this, or did the whole bunch of other listeners just flat-out lie to me? Or....is it possible that 1 out of 10 listeners is just a nut job and takes this karaoke thing as an opportunity to inflict whatever form of disparagement to others that seems necessary in order to relieve some anguish in their own troubled minds?
I say take it for what it is people.

I like what Don Janson suggested about the editing of comments and replies. It is possible to atleast display that a comment or reply has been edited......the date, and the time. Other websites have this. It might discourage alot of nonsense from occurring in the first place.

I've noticed the competitive aspects of being a part of this cool website (it's still a cool place to hang out)......I just choose not to participate in the rivalry and such. That's why I never sub in the "critique" category. I don't need to know who likes me more than so 'n so....or....are my points in the stratosphere at all times. I accept my status as limited, but sometimes more than capable.
Is that rational, or a sign of weak personage?

It'll be alright is what I'm thinking. Sure, some things could be tweaked on the website. But in the end, are we really making karaoke the focal point of our mere existence? If so, we should maybe downshift a few gears and think about the other important things in life.........humility....tolerance....love....family....prosperity....beer....sex....beer....and more sex......... LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  :jk:  :newlol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Luly @ Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:44 am wrote:
MorganLeFey @ Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:24 pm wrote:
Jeez Cindy I would definately vote for ya...between you and Luly lie the voice of logic and level headedness.
I know bout these things...just cos I am a hot head doesnt mean I cant acknowlege and admire those traits in others
Kelley has been treated somewhat shoddily in the face of some pretty hideous insults in the past. I cant blame her for being somewhat upset now, after all, there is no way for anyone that didnt witness those insults to understand her level of distress, because admin chose to pull the thread leaving the nasty person looking cleaner than they have a right to

Ok, I got the food in the oven...so I can stay here a little ....

Vicki, what I didn't read personally was told to me.  Just like a pancake has two sides, so does every story.  I am not choosing sides.  I am keeping my nose out of this.  I appreciate the parties involved and I would like to remain on friendly terms with them.  Bottom line, it was a quarrel that should have been resolved between the original parties and not brought out to affect the entire site.  I have been there, done that and learned a valuable lesson from it.  

I don't think simply changing the coloring of a comment to signal that you are not approving it is the answer.  Rather, you're calling attention to it, and that is counter productive to what this thread and poll is about.  If you are worried about "underground" goings on, why then just BLOCK their butt! Be DONE with them! Finito!

thats it luly we are finished...I cant bear not to be agreed with!!!!!! I am going to throw a redheaded hissy fit now the likes you have NEVER seen before I dont ever wanna be your snogging partner EVER again... :rotflmao:
:jk:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ooooh, I love it when you're mad!! C'mere I just GOTTA snog ya now!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Joyce!  :wave: nice seeing you here, I see a ranking poll was initiated by Odie, let's see how that goes.

Perry  LOL You're always a breath of fresh air  :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 25 times
Well from what I am seeing so far......It looks like nothing is going to change.

There are those who can't stand the numbers...But insist on having Critique!

The purpose for the changes I think was basic, and would serve the purpose of trying to have a way to stop the harassing that has been going on.

It seems there are too many people who like this harassing and don't want to see it come to an end.  I'm guessing that instead of having fun singing and listening that maybe some here just like to have fun putting others down and running them off because they just like being the bully type.  :yes:

I myself would not mind helping Phil if I knew enough to even be of any help in working on any of these changes.  But now it seems that some are trying to get rid of the Ranking system and keep the Critique part.....As for me I guess all I can do is sub under L then that way I don't have to deal with rude people who have nothing better to do than try to take the fun out of this whole thing we call karaoke....But if I do that then I will miss out on the socializing aspect of it which is more important to me than any stupid Critique I could receive from someone who isn't qualified to start with in my opinion.....And yes I don't mind being Ranked...I just don't need someone telling me what I already know as far as my performance not being perfect or where I was off or what I done wrong...I already know that stuff because I can hear it myself!!!!!

There are other sites who are more targeted towards the serious singer or musician, but as Someone else here already stated...Those sites are kind of boring to people like me because everyone on those type of sites are so full of themselves.

I came to a karaoke site because karaoke is supposed to be fun for everyone and it don't matter if you can sing or not.....karaoke to me is karaoke which is for people who enjoy singing even though they are not good at it...To people who can sing and even make a living at it but want to do it here for fun and to share there love of music with others.

If this site is going to be for serious singers only, and for people who instead of paying a trained vocal coach come here in hopes of getting free vocal training rather than being a site for everyone to come here and just have fun sharing our talent with each other...Then I am at the wrong place for sure and no doubt I need to cancel my membership before next billing cycle....I just upgraded and its not even in effect yet and Is why I don't even have any songs posted.

Before I waste any money and time here....Maybe I'm the one who needs to re-think all this and then start making plans on getting my own site so that people like me will have a place to go to have fun.

Others have started there own site, So maybe that's what I need to do.  :yes:

If I owned a site like this then I could have my own rules and those who don't like it don't have to join.   :no:

I tried being a member at another site where there is no Ranking system and No Critique's were allowed and to be honest I like SS better.   The only problem I see with this site is people are allowed to harass and cut others down just because they can....And that is actually all we are trying to put a stop to is the harassment!!

Some people simply get there thrills out of harassing others and that is the problem we are having here....Other than that...This is a Great karaoke site!!

For now I will either sub under L which I am not happy with or I'll just cancel my membership and forget about it.  :(

Thanks to all who are trying to make this place harassment free  :grouphug:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Do not despair, Neo!! The poll's not over, but so far the 3 features are in the majority which means we would have a preview/block/report sub button which would most undoubtedly help with the harassment issues.  

The poll will end next Wednesday, I have notified as many people as I know and well...let's just see.  I do hope someone who is knowledgeable can implement whatever changes are approved and make it work for everyone.  

You ain't going nowhere, buddy boy!! Do NOT make me get out my whip!! I've already got Vicki tied up in my basement so do not EVEN start!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yes dear  :worship: For you I will listen!!  LOL

Things have got to get better, this is my one and only hobby, and to be honest if I give it up I will be lost!!  :yes:

I seriously would not know what to do with myself if I did Quit....I know that is pathetic but it's the truth.  :yes:

Thanks Luly  :hug:

ok...I'm going to sleep now  :asleep:

Good night everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good night, hon.  :hug:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Luly @ Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:20 pm wrote:
Ooooh, I love it when you're mad!! C'mere I just GOTTA snog ya now!!!

heheheh pucker up  :nana:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42 pm 
All suggestions seem helpful and feasible, but as with any new venture, it could be a it or miss situation with new bugaboos occurring.  I do agree with something Don mentioned in a response to someone a while ago: popular music is not an exact science; for example, one of the reasons "popular music" (as in "populace"--a large group of people) is so popular is that singers like to sing them because there is much they can give them in interpretation and delivery.  That's not to say, doing all this off-key and giving one's eardrums some oticular irritation is very pleasing to most folks.  But staying within the parameters of what is conventionally considered "good" singing can entertain and please the more discerning listener and within the rigid parameters of what makes music, one can have a lot of fun and do incredible things with it.  Geez, how many "off beat" singers have you heard that are immensely popular, now as well as in the past?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
You made some good point Jesse

Quote:
I just don't need someone telling me what I already know as far as my performance not being perfect or where I was off or what I done wrong...I already know that stuff because I can hear it myself!!!!!

Most do hear it when they are "off" a little or alot . Maybe thats the best they could do ?? Anybody ever thought of THAT while critiquing ??

Quote:
There are other sites who are more targeted towards the serious singer or musician, but as Someone else here already stated...Those sites are kind of boring to people like me because everyone on those type of sites are so full of themselves

Maybe to some people THIS is a boring place ??? Because people like US ( including myself in there with ya) Dont take our music (or subs) as serious as they "think" we all should, we just like to sing for the sheer joy of singing...Just a thought...Just dont know WHY people like this would stick around here if not  just to put people down & inflate their own egos...

Quote:
If this site is going to be for serious singers only, and for people who instead of paying a trained vocal coach come here in hopes of getting free vocal training rather than being a site for everyone to come here and just have fun sharing our talent with each other...Then I am at the wrong place for sure and no doubt I need to cancel my membership

I think this is the exact same reason alot of people leave this place myself...

Quote:
The only problem I see with this site is people are allowed to harass and cut others down just because they can....And that is actually all we are trying to put a stop to is the harassment!!

Some people simply get there thrills out of harassing others and that is the problem we are having here....Other than that...This is a Great karaoke site!!

I agree with others that some changes need to occur in the SS comment system Jesse,But what you have just said here is THE BIGGEST problem here...its been going on far too long now without anyone being held accountable for it other than pulled threads.

I do agree that KS/SS IS a GREAT site just not some great people here, as with every online community, but if we hold the "bad apples" accountable for their actions MAYBE just MAYBE....it can be better

I enjoyed your post Jesse...Thanks :)

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I enjoy your post too kelley, and thank you.  :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:19 pm 
I just realized something! You know, even really bad singers and other performers can be entertaining.  Perhaps we should focus on the overall "entertainment" value of a performance rather than just how it it was done.  For example, who here has not enjoyed a style, voice or performance that in some "hidden pleasure" sort of way was delightful?  Heck, I have a whole CD Of the Three Stooges singing their greatest hits (although I suppose some of the enjoyment is just imaging 60-something year old Jewish men some really off the wall stuff).  It can be awful, but for whatever perverse or reason you love hearing it! There is a whole community of film buffs that consider what the mainstream would consider "awful" movies that really are, in their own inept kind of way, extremely entertaining--I watch these all the time in fact.  Just a passing thought.  Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:40 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

hey Jesse have you downloaded skype yet hon?
Had some great voice chats with some neat people today. If you havent already got it I do recommend it :) its a nice way to get away from it all

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:35 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Whew... I had to skim through this but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Just as Nathan mentioned early on, the system is fine, it's a few bad apples who misuse it and spoil it for everyone. The system is only as good as the people using it. I think taking away the ranking system is a step in the right direction. The ranking system has been a joke since the beginning and really doesn't reflect reality. If someone here is not well liked it can be a hurtful tool to bring them down a notch. Well liked people will always score higher simply because they have friends. It becomes a popularity contest, and newcomers become disenchanted quickly. People who have been here a long time know the game and take it for what it is. But more and more new people stumble in and question the fairness of the system.

I think having the option to approve the comments is a good idea. Although, that doesn't stop someone from abusing another person. The "block this user" option could come in handy, but that no doubt will cause hurt feelings. I would imagine it would just bring an inevitable confrontation into the forums. I DO agree that the commenter should not be able to go back and change a comment.

I think taking out the ranking system is a step in the right direction, but there is no system on earth that will protect or satisfy everyone. Whenever you put your work out there for all to see/hear, you open yourself up to being hurt by someone ... for reasons that sometimes have nothing to do with the actual work.

So I will vote for the "approve comments first" option IF the submitter wishes to use it. If not, let the chips fall where they may. Keep the "critique" category but take out the numbers. Numbers can cause people to get nasty and competitive. I say this mostly for the newcomers... since I never have used the number system and therefore will not miss it. I realize there are some who like it.... sorry. That's just my honest opinion.

I guess it's all a matter of how feasible it is for P.hill to implement.  :) <--notice I stole Charmin's trick?

I like what most people here have said... I especially liked CC's post.... I agree! Why is the world getting so mean?  :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Sheree :wave:

I respect your opinion because you and I at one time were friends back when things were fun here back before the last major changes were made that was due to those who could not stand for others to get more attention than them selves.

If I remember correctly the changes were made because some people just could not accept that someone like me could come here and enjoy other peoples music and then tell them how much I enjoyed it.  They called people like me a fluffer and said my opinions were not valid and that I was telling Lie's  when the truth is I told those people who had real talent how much I enjoyed there song submissions.

Some of these babies who whined about others taking there sunshine away thought that they were better than they actually were and there feelings were hurt because people came along that were better and they got more attention and they got better ratings.   These others could not stand the fact that they were no longer in the lime light and so they formed this whole serious Critique mess where they could cut someone like me to the bone and pick our songs to death just to make them selves feel better.....and did it help them in the long run??? did they learn how to improve there singing???? No...actually they stopped posting there songs because there feelings were on there shoulders and it became easier to just sit around a belittle others and cut them down because now they are bitter because they want to improve and don't know how....and they want to claim to be able to help others when they cannot even help themselves!!!

Well I am Back.....They destroyed the fun of this place for me and I am back and will not leave!!!!!!   I will be here to be a thorn in there side and make them miserable the same as they have done to me.  I will take away there fun as they have taken away mine......I am here til death and I will not leave until I am dead and gone!!!

Hahahahaha......Over Two years of anger can have a strange effect on a person and as much anger as Steven Kaplan has built up....for me you can triple that number and that is how angry I am that some lamer had the nerve to come here and force there stupid idea's upon me!!!! and forced me and others like me to leave because all they wanted to do was sit around and nit pick our songs to death!!!

It did not matter if we were posting a song or starting a thread in the forum these whiny babies were angry and would do anything possible to run off anyone who did not think the same as them and this time...It is not going to work because I have had enough and I am back for good and - and - and - and - and - and maybe if I say it enough they will begin to understand what karaoke is....but truth be known they never will because they are not playing with a full deck of cards..So I will then be a thorn in there side as they have been to me and it will be a never ending on going bunch of crap!!

I don't care what people think karaoke is....It is what it is!!  To say a car is a motorcycle is a lie!!!!  

I'm done...I'm going to go sing thank you and I will sub under L because I can! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Songs: 75
Been Liked: 15 times
Good Mornin' All,
                It's me, Back again.  I wonder why Rank can't  be added as an option to be used in conjunction of any of the other three options.  That way if you don't want to be critiqued or even commented on you can Choose L+Rank.  It seems like a logical answer to me.  
                                                                                           XX, Pam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Songs: 75
Been Liked: 15 times
Neo,
          How on earth can i throw myself at you when you are listen only, Arghhhhh!!!   I feel so rejected.
                                                                               XX, Pam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:04 am 

Been Liked: 3 times
On this question of Ranking, whilst I don’t normally Sub C , and if I get round to subbing again on here , I will revert to subbing J. My last few subs were subbed C for a reason, because I was curious to see if a certain person who shall remain nameless (…holds up 2 sticks in a cross and makes sssssssss’ng noise) would make an appearance.
    I do however realize that quite a few people take the ranking system very seriously, and like Neo and others have said, the less than ethical amongst us use it as a tool to bring someone down. One of the problems as I see it is that where you have a limited number of people giving a rank one stupid ranking score would vastly bring down ones overall average, whereas a silly rank amongst many would not have the same effect. I’ll be honest here I don’t like giving a ranking and usually avoid it, unless I hear a C sub that is so bloody brilliant I cannot help but give it a 10. …Despite the fact that I have been singing and playing sax for more years than I care to admit, I do not consider myself justifiably equiped to cast aspersions on someone else’s work. But that’s just me I’m afraid.
  It does occur to me however that if, on all rankings given there had to be a justification for the rank given then the abusers would have to think twice…For example: ” I gave you a  9 on this because I think you could have mixed this better, otherwise great.. as opposed to “ I gave you a 2 on this because you are a total prat, and you keep having a dig at me”  …The Rankin system as I see it is far too anonymous, and it is this that makes it open to abuse. Just an idea, but why not make the ranking figure you give appear on the comment. If you are going to give a figure to judge a performance, it should become part of your critique and should be shown as such… Whether this is practical or not, or enforceable, I wouldn’t like to say, but it would certainly stop abuse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next