KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Still Using Discs? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Still Using Discs?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
A couple of comments in another thread got me wondering. Just simple questions. How many of us still use CDs? How many use a combination of discs and computer files? How many are strictly CDs? How many don't use discs at all?

I took out my Numark dual-tray last year, having ripped everything to computer. I've not had a request to play someone's disc in at least three years... and the best part is, my console is lighter and I no longer have to carry those three aluminum cases crammed with discs. They now sit in my basement storage room gathering dust. (And yes, I know about the legalities of shifting formats, but that's not what this thread is about...)

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Still Using Discs?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
Personally, I don't care about the certification status as long as you have the discs and personally I am willing to take your word. For The most part with the exception of those asking about loaded hard drives, and I hope that even they have left this forum better informed about what damage it can do to hosts who go the discs as backup route, are at least 1:1 in disc to songs ratio for discs ripped to computer and have receipts from legitimate download sites. And again, I don't need to see them to believe that you have them. I run an all computer show. In fact even though my software has the ability to play discs, I don't have a DVD in my laptop. I rip using an external drive which I don't carry with me to shows. That said I can play off of a USB flash drive. I have had one outside disc brought into my shows and that was before Compuhost had the ability to play outside media. Had to use the original version of Karafun to play his song.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
I still have 900 CDG disks I keep in Sony Multi-disk players but as an upgrade I found it's cheapest way to just buy the tracks in MP3+G format on disks and SD cards (Pennies a song)
and still have them as backups.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I still buy discs, but they get ripped. Do not actually run shows with them anymore. However I do still have a disc player for those that do bring them - getting less and less each year in favor of flash drives - but I still get them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
been close to 15 years since i did a show using discs.
still have them, but they stay home.
still can play them, just an external cd drive for the laptop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Ditto, except that I don't need an external player since CompuHost will play any CDG Disc using the CD drive on my laptop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I still have all four of my discs..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

As I have said before, the only time that I have played a song not in my library other than from a subscription or buying on the fly was before Compuhost added disc playing capability. I probably won't ever have to worry about that again. In fact I only use the play outside media feature for playing songs that I have bought on the fly before importing into the database.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Same here. I don’t use an external cdg player. I use my laptop built-in cd/dvd drive to play my singers’ cdgs thru Siglos karaoke player app with animated visualization background/variety of skins (optional use).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Brian A wrote:
Same here. I don’t use an external cdg player. I use my laptop built-in cd/dvd drive to play my singers’ cdgs thru Siglos karaoke player app with animated visualization background/variety of skins (optional use).

the only reason i have an external cd drive is that i removed the internal one from my laptop to put in a second HDD for music. so i put the internal cd drive into a usb enclosure just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
I am completely CDG based. Since I only do a show once in a blue moon, I have no desire to computerize everything. It is not worth the time or effort for me to do so.

I do have several burned discs (from my original collection), which I bring with me when I go out to sing. I also have those same songs on a flash drive in an MP3+G format. I want to thank all of you who said you are willing to play from my personal discs or flash drive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:03 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
What I've found here in SW Fl. with an older population, many older singers only go where there are KJs that play discs, I'm not one of them. Many of the disc player manufacturers are not making players anymore like JVC which was one of the best. I've even had older singers tell me they practice their discs at home and don't trust computers to put out the same music, additionally they don't know what manufacturer they use. I tell them when they go to computer only shows make sure to write down manufacturer, and keys up/down same. Most of these shows are at club type settings such as Elks, Moose, VFW and American Legion, one reason is that the drinks are a lot cheaper, and most of these people are on fixed incomes. On the other hand bars, restaurants etc are not playing discs, and places where there is a younger population.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:21 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Laptop only here. CDGs slow down the rotation because I have to handle them and do not wish responsibility for the care of them. Some alcohol could get on them from the table the client is sitting at and they think it was me that ruined their disc. No Way, No How, Not Ever!

I used to not play thumb drives either because of not knowing whether it was pirated material or not. I have done that on occasion for a KJ friend that comes to my show now and then because I know he has become legal. He is the only one.

I'm not sure if I would be liable if material on the thumb drive were pirated and if I only played it and refrained from downloading. Maybe someone here knows and will explain. Even though it appears PEP has dropped lawsuits since I have seen none in 2018. Still, I'm one of the ones they have on a CNS because of audit and could be liable due to that ignorance on my part.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Capt Frank wrote:
What I've found here in SW Fl. with an older population, many older singers only go where there are KJs that play discs,

I dont play discs but keep the capability available for customers to bring. But I remember disc kjs that would custom number their discs eliminating the manufacturer code altogether, literally the book would have say 6 versions of Friends In Low Places but not show what manufacturer (which kind of defeats listing multiple versions to begin with).
As far as not knowing what the computer users are offering as far as being the same or not (paranoia if it's the same manu), absolutely no different in that respect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Capt Frank wrote:
What I've found here in SW Fl. with an older population, many older singers only go where there are KJs that play discs, I'm not one of them. Many of the disc player manufacturers are not making players anymore like JVC which was one of the best. I've even had older singers tell me they practice their discs at home and don't trust computers to put out the same music, additionally they don't know what manufacturer they use. I tell them when they go to computer only shows make sure to write down manufacturer, and keys up/down same. Most of these shows are at club type settings such as Elks, Moose, VFW and American Legion, one reason is that the drinks are a lot cheaper, and most of these people are on fixed incomes. On the other hand bars, restaurants etc are not playing discs, and places where there is a younger population.

I guess I'm part of that older generation,
I much prefer a venue that plays my discs.
It is such a let down to find that a song you
want to sing Is an inferior version, such as
I ask for, We Just Disagree, and here comes
the All Hits version, which I don't care for.
also, I don't burn my discs, nor download
to computer, it's a little extra work but I
don't mind.It don't take much to make this
old boy happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Lonman wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:
What I've found here in SW Fl. with an older population, many older singers only go where there are KJs that play discs,

I dont play discs but keep the capability available for customers to bring. But I remember disc kjs that would custom number their discs eliminating the manufacturer code altogether, literally the book would have say 6 versions of Friends In Low Places but not show what manufacturer (which kind of defeats listing multiple versions to begin with).
As far as not knowing what the computer users are offering as far as being the same or not (paranoia if it's the same manu), absolutely no different in that respect.

Lonman, I'm like a kid in a candy shop
when I find a Kj who can, and will play my
discs! But when they can't then it's do you
have this song, that artist, on this disc! kind
of stuff, and you notice their smile fading &
then, feel like a nuisance, it takes the fun out
of the hunt, you're right about the numbering
system, and no cdg manu listings, defeating
the purpose of finding ones song quickly, It's
a real drag for me, l keep a book, and reading
the posts here has helped me compile the
best versions possible that I can find. There's
a lot of good advice and tons of information,
listed in these pages. :biggrinthumb:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:35 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I actually am probably one of the few kj's that still list manufacturer code in my book (not full disc number just 2 or 3 letter id ie SC, CB, SGB, etc). Granted just one time and the version I feel is the best - you can ask if I have another, chances are I do not but ya never know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

While I don't list the versions in my hardcopy books, my online remote requests shows every brand so that my singers can make an informed choice. Even when I go around with my mobile kiosk, I will tell the singer what version of the song that I have and let them make the decision. My books only list one version, two versions if it's in both the main list and the subscription list.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:10 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The singers knowing the difference between brands are getting far and few between. I did a survey on my page a couple years ago and out of around 998 people that replied - FOUR said they cared or even knew what the difference was between brands. It's just not relevant in todays industry, people just want to sing their song to a decent sounding version.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Lonman wrote:
The singers knowing the difference between brands are getting far and few between. I did a survey on my page a couple years ago and out of around 998 people that replied - FOUR said they cared or even knew what the difference was between brands. It's just not relevant in todays industry, people just want to sing their song to a decent sounding version.

The random singer that has disc he/she practices with, may request that version.
But yes, not so common these days.