KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - the n-word...in karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: the n-word...in karaoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
any thoughts?

here are my thoughts. feel free to disagree.

i remember the first moment this happened. i wasn't a kj then, i was in the crowd. it was the early 2000s and probably a song by ja rule or someone...he's the first artist i can think of who had the n-word in karaoke--not factually, just off the top of my head. i was shocked to hear someone who wasn't black say the n-word over the mic so easily even if it is karaoke--to a room full of people, where you don't know what the reaction will be. i would've been shocked if it was a black person who said it too, back then--it was the first time hearing the n-word in karaoke.

i don't like the n-word in karaoke. i don't like it in songs, but i understand an artist's freedom of expression to us it. but i definitely don't like it in karaoke--since you are not that artist. haven't heard if there's been any confrontations or backlash in karaoke venues when this goes down.

i also hate that folks feel entitled to say the n-word simply because it's in karaoke. like a ron burgundy reading the teleprompter except they're aware. like that gives them the right. they can't ever properly follow any of the other words in a regular karaoke song and can't get any regular lyrics right, but they always feel entitled to scream the n-word when it's on the screen. personally, i've never been that kind of cat--not concerning the n-word, but think i'm entitled to something that may or may not be cool, just because i've seen others do it. now people will say, 'oh i'm like that too...i don't feel like i should just do something because i've seen others do it..blah, blah' yet that person sports tattoos like everyone else. i don't have tattoos. i have nothing against it or folks who wear tattoos. i'm just saying don't come at me like 'oh i don't follow the crowd, i've got my own mind' yet you got a tramp stamp like other folks. don't forget that--is all i'm saying.

there's no real way to stop someone from saying the n-word even if it's not on the screen.

but here's always been my stance on this n-word thing--or things like this. i'm personally not saying the n-word in karaoke in front of one crowd and then not in front of another--which is why i opt to not say it and wish others would too. and i can't get with people who don't think like this. i don't put an american flag on my lawn because i'm here in america. too easy. preaching to the choir. i'm saying i know i won't put that american flag on my lawn in bagdad, which is why i don't do it in my home. this is all i'm saying. and this is how i feel about the n-word in karaoke. you get no respect from me if you're gonna say the n-word in a comfortable venue. let's see you do the same karaoke song with the n-word where you know you'll get your (@$%&#!) kicked for trying this, before the song even ends. and then let's see you do this again and again and again getting your (@$%&#!) kicked everytime. then, i'll grant you a tiny bit of respect. but you gotta keep that up until you're in a grave, though. then i'll grant you a tiny bit of respect.

here's my last word on it, but i think it's relevant to karaoke and the n-word: i remember in class once, a non-black girl turned in an assignment where we were supposed to make up a story. that's it. it was a fiction-writing class, beginner's level. she turned in a story that had the n-word appear in it. and i got upset. my argument was: this is a beginning class. there's no telling that she will continue with fiction writing after this class, so drop the n-word from your story. it's not necessary. there a bizillion words to use, that we can get what you're saying without using the n-word. i understand freedom of speech and expression, but this is a beginning class without minorities in it. don't do this. don't do this here, but in the same class full of minorities, you would drop the word or never use it because you'd get your (@$%&#!) kicked. coward. i can't get with people who think this way is cool.

actually the professor was black and she stood up for the non-white girl to use the word in her story saying she has a right to do so. i argued, this is a BEGINNER'S class. if this was intermediate or advanced fiction writing, i'd give her a pass. this is beginner's. don't do this. and this is how i feel about karaoke. it's "free". we're not awarding recording contracts which i always remind upset karaoke singers. it's karaoke--it's not important. you don't have to get every word right or every pitch right, etc. so, drop the n-word. it's not necessary. the original artist said it because they're an artist. picasso can paint a painting using poop. that's his expression. you are only copying what they did, so i don't believe you when you express yourself as they did, so please drop the n-word.

my other argument, (which i thought of later) but should've said in class was: ok... if this non-black girl can hand in a basic fiction story where she used the n-word, in a beginner's class mind you, then i hope it's ok for someone in a beginner's class to turn in a story about murdering a cop, molesting a child, raping women, killing a very public official. this is a beginner's class. there's other ways around it. save that for intermediate and advanced classes so we know you're serious. in a beginner's class you may drop your interest, but we're left with your n-word or violent paper. let's not do that. especially if you're just being a jerk and just turning in an assignment with foul stuff just because. when you won't do it infront of a different audience. and i would've been just as upset if it were a black person who used the n-word in a beginner's fiction class. there are so many other words. it's just not necessary. we get what you're trying to say.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
I find it's use offensive..period.
In Australia, they use the term "Digger" but it has to be earned. In America the N word is thrown around as a weapon
of anti-social behavior intended to cause conflict and enforce separatism. .
The term "Digger" refers to the fact the Brits made the Aussies dig ditches during ww1 while machine guns were shooting at them.
They got the job done. To be a non Aussie and called "Digger" by an Aussie is an honor.
The N word on the other hand is short for "Ignorant". I find it moronic that all these people and artists run around calling each other ignorant.
We have all gotten to darn sensitive but that is the whole point of using the N word. To make everyone else uncomfortable.
I was around when rap first started in the scene..... today's rap is crap and I'd rather not play it or hate metal at all.
"peace out" :)

P.S.
I had to correct a music video for MTV that had over 200 "f" bombs in it........It's all just plain stupid attention grabbing crap.
The original rappers recited their poetry or short stories to a beat or rock rhythm. Todays "Artists" simply talk smack to cool samples designed to lower the heart rate and make you angry and unsatisfied when the song is done.....like crack, so you have to hear another song and hope you get satisfaction from it...but you won't. It's unlike any other type of music.
My own band was told by a record label to change our lyrics because they said we had to take the "Hope" and positive stuff out.
Quote: "Hope doesn't sell records"........ guess they were right.
I think I'll shut up now...I know it too well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
every day it is less offensive, except to white people. it is not a weapon any more, but a term of endearment. just listen to rap and it is used continuously to define the rapper them self or their friends, no other word, even Homie has gone mostly away. listen to normal banter in the bars and buddy, dude, Homie, even hey you has been replaced with "the N-Word". i hear the black population use it 50 to 1 more than any other color, and i don't see how it can be considered a negative term when it is the black populous using it as a self descriptor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:36 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
How stupid to hear a white guy say: "What's Up My N-Word?"

:angel:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
jdmeister wrote:

When n---a used in the above context, it's simply slang for 'what's up, my friend' or 'what's up, my homie' etc, regardless of what race uses it. N---a is a term of endearment and is not generally offensive. N----r, on the other hand, IS derogatory and offensive to some.

Context is extremely important.

And just because someone thinks it's offensive doesn't make them right. Being offended is subjective. Always.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
It's offensive to whites because the derogatory nature unfortunately came from whites and it's use is a constant reminder and an act of unforgiveness despite the attempt to remove it from use as a derogatory term and from our culture.

With all due respects folks... where I come from, any non-black using that term has a 50% chance of being beaten close to death. It's used as a convenient excuse to beat someone up. Even those who are "accepted" to use that word get beaten by those who don't know them. There is no consistency to how the word is used nor set of clearly defined rules.
The problem is that people of all cultures hate change, and the first gen tries to teach the third gen all the bad behavior and anger to perpetuate the problem.
The ancients understood this and that's why for example, Moses's generation was not permitted to enter Israel. They understood that it takes 3 generations to change a culture.
Religious texts don't explain this but psychology and study of human nature, does.
Unfortunately the culture in question split and we have two very different communities in opposition within the same race/culture.
I just avoid the word whenever possible and keep moving any known songs with those type of lyrics to a stand alone folder to only be loaded at the appropriate time.

By the way...the LAW actually prohibits clubs from avoiding that word... it is considered explicit and therefore many pop and metal songs must be eliminated as well or it is considered discrimination. All or Nothing. Very difficult edge to walk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:09 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
It has become common slang, even for white people. The younguns are all talking ghetto talk when there are very few black people around and it sounds silly but it seems to be mainstream now. I get that people were using it to "take back and control" the connotations and maybe if repeated enough it loses its bite. But as a person who lived through the 60s when it was a hateful term, it still makes me jump when I hear it. It is the same with the c word in reference to females. I hear younguns call each other that like it is nothing but it used to be used so hatefully in the past, it makes me cringe.

I don't think the word has completely changed meaning. Even when I hear white younguns using it, it is not always a term of endearment but it still has an element of domination to it--like you have to get me a beer because you are my n word.

The trend these days is to abhor having to be "politically correct" but I tend to feel if a group says that something is offensive to them then I error on the side of being politely correct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
To me, it's just a useless word. I find it offensive that it has convenient "fluid meaning and acceptability" depending usually on who's is uttering it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
jdmeister wrote:

They don't use what's
it's "whatup".

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
That is one of the words I banned a long time ago, do not have any songs ( that I am aware of) listed in my books anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:03 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
:o :shock: :mrgreen:

Attachment:
blackLabs.jpg
blackLabs.jpg [ 32.04 KiB | Viewed 27396 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I play an African American bar. Black people sing it. White's have figured out certain words are better not sung. Everybody's happy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Playing an African American club without "Tyrone" would be like playing a country bar without "Before He Cheats".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/nigger-word-brief-history

Some sing it, some don't.

When singing it in a song that was written by someone else...

Also for consideration:

"I'd pop a cap in Sancho and I'd smack her down"

"I shot her, I gave her the gun."

Pick your battles... you can't police words or expression without finding yourself on that slippery slope.. artist or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I don't approve of it either and try to get bars that want clean music if I can get it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
I have been to shows and heard whites sing songs with the N word.
It was not artistic it was purely for the shock factor. They literally yelled
out the word when it came up. I don't normally try to censor my song books.
But I have removed most songs that have a heavy use of the N word. I find its
use offensive by white, black or any other person that uses it. So if you want
to be artistic and true to the song and or writer I guess my shows are not for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I've heard people sing the word without yelling it or attempting to shock anyone.

Just sayin'...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I find it hard to understand why anyone finds it necessary to use any type of unacceptable language (words, phrases, etc) even if it is trending towards "common place" use. Does it really make the song any better?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:30 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 38 times
Okay, thorny topic. I'm not really gonna dwell on all the overarching sociological implications of using that word and in what contexts, as that's a dead horse and we all know all the arguments by now. Suffice it to say that I am a white man, hip-hop is among one of the many genres I like to listen to, and I do not personally use the word (ending in "-a" or "-er").

Now, my perspective as a karaoke host? It's simple: if the venue requires that songs be kept clean, no one says it, white or black. If it's an "anything-goes" type of venue, use it at your own discretion. I won't police your speech in those instances, but if someone feels confrontational about it, that's your burden to bear. Personally, if I'm performing a rap song (as I do from time to time) and the word comes up, I'm skipping it every time, whether the audience is ethnically diverse or lily-white.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
mrmarog wrote:
I find it hard to understand why anyone finds it necessary to use any type of unacceptable language (words, phrases, etc) even if it is trending towards "common place" use. Does it really make the song any better?

but if it is not unacceptable to those that it is directed to, what is the problem?
"ginger" is now also considered a derogatory term, i take no offence to it and use it quite often even though i am one. so to remove a song i wanted to sing because it would let a freckled redhead say the word ginger makes no sense.
to tell a black man for instance that they can't sing the Jay-Z song because it has the "N" word and will offend black people will most likely bring even more offence than the word itself.