KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Singers Showcase Night Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Singers Showcase Night
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
I've talked the bar where I do karaoke into having a singers showcase night on a trial basis. I'll invite 1-3 great singers along with me to each sing 1-2 hours during the night in 1/2 hour to hour blocks. No other singers will be permitted to sing. Has anyone else tried this? Do you think it will work?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I tried it and it worked quite well. The catch is to do NOT select the singers yourself. Let some else, like the owner, make the choices, then switch the featured singers every show. I had it set up for 6 songs then a new singer, and so on. And to make it a little more professional I did not have the words visible to the audience and I had my singers TV on the floor in a box.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I do plan on not having a screen visible to the audience. I have a month to get things organized and have talked with 4 singers so far who want to do it. There are at least 6 other singers who I'll ask to participate so we'll not have the same singers every week. The trial is for 4 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:58 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Interesting. I have considered this as well. Where I got hung up was the transition between songs. How do you manage one person singing a half dozen tracks back to back? Are you announcing anything at all or just queuing them quickly so there is basically no dead air?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I suppose there would be about 10 seconds of dead air between songs since I don't plan on playing filler music. The singer or I could fill that with some banter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Interesting. I have considered this as well. Where I got hung up was the transition between songs. How do you manage one person singing a half dozen tracks back to back? Are you announcing anything at all or just queuing them quickly so there is basically no dead air?
With the remote control device that I am using, you could attach it to the mic stand, and the singer could control when they wanted to sing the next song. Trim each song to start immediately when the "next song" button is pushed. To get six songs in a row with Karma you have to make them singerless songs and create a saved playlist. Once a playlist is created you can organize the songs in any order you need.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Seems like this would work with an older crowd. This format would empty my bar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:13 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
TopherM wrote:
Seems like this would work with an older crowd. This format would empty my bar.
I agree. It's nothing that I'd personally be interested in going to watch myself just going to watch someone sing.
I used to work with a company that would do 'showroake'. Where they did it on an off night and billed 4 or 5 (good) singers that would get into full costume of the singer they were doing. Each singer would do 4-5 songs each. This would put on a good 2+ hour show, would draw people into the club on a normally slower night & once done, we'd pack up or sometime keep the karaoke going if people wanted to sing. This was more worth coming in for rather than just showcasing a couple good singers only.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:13 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
I have sung in a few 'singers showcases' in the last year. Both were done from 7-9PM for the dinner crowds, then open karaoke starting at 9PM.

The format was comprised of 4 to 5 singers doing 5-6 songs each.

One of the venues still does this every Friday night, and it seems to still be going strong, with weeks long waiting lists for singers to participate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
The whole idea is retarded. Once again, lets alienate singers and pick and choose. No thank you.

Whatever happened to karaoke being a fun entertaining evening for EVERYONE?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Alan, simmer down. :evil:

It's not a bad idea if it works at his venue, it's just definitely not for everyone.

It's not karaoke, it's a different animal. I live in a beach community, and there are tons of singers that sing on top of karaoke tracks, typically with a bit of added instrumentation, to entertain others. If it's entertaining to the audience, what's wrong with that? It's not billed as a karaoke night where everyone can sing. It's billed as a show where singers sing to the audience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:
The whole idea is retarded. Once again, lets alienate singers and pick and choose. No thank you.
TopherM wrote:
Alan, simmer down. :evil:

It's not a bad idea if it works at his venue, it's just definitely not for everyone.

It's not karaoke, it's a different animal. I live in a beach community, and there are tons of singers that sing on top of karaoke tracks, typically with a bit of added instrumentation, to entertain others. If it's entertaining to the audience, what's wrong with that? It's not billed as a karaoke night where everyone can sing. It's billed as a show where singers sing to the audience.

Whatever happened to karaoke being a fun entertaining evening for EVERYONE?
mrmarog wrote:
I tried it and it worked quite well. The catch is to do NOT select the singers yourself. Let some else, like the owner, make the choices, then switch the featured singers every show. I had it set up for 6 songs then a new singer, and so on. And to make it a little more professional I did not have the words visible to the audience and I had my singers TV on the floor in a box.
I did work quite well and the showcased singers felt honored to do it. I did have one guy get upset with me until he found out it wasn't me that chose the singers. He was a so-so singer but entertaining. Had we kept it up longer (the owner sold the business) he probably would have been chosen too.