KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - does this feature exist on any karaoke machine? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:11 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
for me, i think karaoke is trying to sing like someone else..
so when i sing karaoke, i just hear myself and trying to remember how the artist sounds like

is there a karaoke machine where you can somehow play the song with the artist singing through headphones
but through the speaker where everyone else in the crowd is listening, they only listen to your voice and of course the music of the song

that way you can sing as you would when you do in the shower or car - imitating your favorite songs :)

does such a feature exist with any karaoke machine?

makes sense to me :)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:21 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
In a word - no. Karaoke music (except for some multiplex discs) do not even have the vocals in the 1st place.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:37 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Sorry misread the post, I guess the karaoke singer would be hearing the vocals through the head phones, the audience would not hear the vocals over the speakers. I don't know what good that would do, if you are aiming to copy exactly the style of the singer, that would not be making the song your own, just an exact copy.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:01 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Actually, I do believe they call this "lip-syncing"... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 pm 

what i mean is..

you as the singer hear the song with artist's voice over headphones (as you normally do in the car or in the shower) and sing along (as you normally do also)

however, the audience only hears YOUR voice and the music

I think this would be a great feature. albeit not sure how it would work. you'd have to have 2 versions of the song play simultaneously or something like that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:28 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Again most karaoke tracks do not have vocals at all. There would be no way to do this with the bulk of the tracks. Multiplex tracks could probably be routed in a way to act like you propose, but again the majority of karaoke have no lead vocal at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
if you are aiming to copy exactly the style of the singer, that would not be making the song your own, just an exact copy.

Hey I take offense to that. For some people, that's their hook. Not all songs, but a lot of the songs I sing, I'm totally trying to sound like the original. You can never go wrong sounding like the original. One of my favorite compliments is "Dude, you sounded just like the record!". Some artists sing a song so well, that if you can even come close to duplicating it, you not only please the audience, but you know you did something quite challenging and fun. Some vocalists are so good at writing the song to be fun to sing, that if you don't sing it the way they do, you don't quite experience the same fun. Paul McCartney is a great example. Another singer I try to duplicate all the nuances is Paul Rodgers. If you can get him just right, I don't care how unattractive you are, women will perk up in the room and look at you in a very positive way. Karaoke is so about singing other people's songs. If you want to be truly original, write your own songs. ...and then make a karaoke version, so others can compliment you by imitating you every week.
:beermates:

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

― Oscar Wilde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
if you are aiming to copy exactly the style of the singer, that would not be making the song your own, just an exact copy.

Hey I take offense to that. For some people, that's their hook. Not all songs, but a lot of the songs I sing, I'm totally trying to sound like the original. You can never go wrong sounding like the original. One of my favorite compliments is "Dude, you sounded just like the record!". Some artists sing a song so well, that if you can even come close to duplicating it, you not only please the audience, but you know you did something quite challenging and fun. Some vocalists are so good at writing the song to be fun to sing, that if you don't sing it the way they do, you don't quite experience the same fun. Paul McCartney is a great example. Another singer I try to duplicate all the nuances is Paul Rodgers. If you can get him just right, I don't care how unattractive you are, women will perk up in the room and look at you in a very positive way. Karaoke is so about singing other people's songs. If you want to be truly original, write your own songs. ...and then make a karaoke version, so others can compliment you by imitating you every week.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

― Oscar Wilde

So what if they say you sang the song better than the original version?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

― Oscar Wilde

While I try to give the song justice by trying to sing it as close to the original as I can, I know that I don't do it exactly but I have in the past imitated Willie and Julio's voices on to all the girls I've loved before. I sing the parts they sing together in my own voice. I do on songs that I think that the original artist missed the mark melody wise, thrown my own interpretation into it. Sometimes it is a hit sometimes not, more often it goes over well. Don't know if it's just that the audience doesn't know better but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I like it when someone says: "I heard that song the other day and I thought to myself, that's not how that song sounds. I like the way you sing it better."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
The main problem with what you are asking is that karaoke tracks are by and large NOT the original sound track with vocals removed. They are completely different recordings.

If you sang along with the original recording in one ear, and the karaoke track in the other they would not match up.

In many cases, you CAN get, or MAKE, a decent sounding karaoke of the original song using a vocal remover.
You could make a mono version of the original and a mono version of the minus vocals track.
Using the just made mono tracks you could put the original in the left track and the vocals removed in the right track.

If your venue has speaker monitors for the singer you could port the left track to the monitor and output only the right track to the crowd speakers.
This of course would depend on whether you are the KJ or if your KJ is willing to do the extra work to make it happen.

There are many duplexed karaoke songs that employ this method to allow you to learn the song with or without vocals using the same track. Simply turning the speaker balance full left or full right will give you vocals or no vocals.
This wouldn't help in your case because they are not the original song and do not have the original singer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
So what if they say you sang the song better than the original version?

I just assume they're drunk at that point :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
I just assume they're drunk at that point :)

Let's face it if they had American Idol back in the 50's & 60's, singers like Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and others would not have become stars. They did their songs in their own style.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:21 pm 

i thought maybe there's a karaoke machine that can strip out vocals to one output (headphones) and leave vocals for speaker (audience). maybe even let it process for 5 minutes before performing (since on the fly might be a little harder). i would buy that machine :)

looking to buy a machine so wanted to see if there was one that does what I am describing before i make a purchase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:58 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
gcue wrote:
i thought maybe there's a karaoke machine that can strip out vocals to one output (headphones) and leave vocals for speaker (audience). maybe even let it process for 5 minutes before performing (since on the fly might be a little harder). i would buy that machine :)

looking to buy a machine so wanted to see if there was one that does what I am describing before i make a purchase

I am not sure if you understand how karaoke actually works. What you are looking for isn't karaoke, it's lip syncing. And even if such a software existed, if you were actively singing at all, the audience would hear BOTH the original artist as well as you singing along. It's the exact same thing as just singing along with a song playing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 17 times
I can't answer your question as to whether any Karaoke software exists to do what you are asking.

But, lets say you have a Karaoke Vocal demonstration track and Karaoke software that allows the removal of the track that has the demo vocals (Multiplex Buttons). Let's say that same software allows you to choose an audio card of which you have two (Audio1 and Audio2) and Audio1 is selected. If these parameters are met, you can play this track for you to sing to and the audience will NOT hear the demo vocal.

Now, let's say that same Karaoke software allows you to run a 2nd instance of the software where you choose Audio2 and the output is to your Headphones. Queue the same song into the player and try to hit PLAY on both songs as simultaneously as possible. You will hear the Vocal Demo through the Headphones but the audience will not.

Now, if there is a problem with the Graphics trying to display, at the same time, to the Singer's/Audience Monitor(s), simply set your display on the 2nd open Karaoke software to VID1.

This should solve your problem.

Now, if your Karaoke software does NOT allow Video set to VID1, then use software to strip the AUDIO off the Vocal Demo track and queue that into your second karaoke player.

You won't need to worry about Karaoke Graphics appearing anywhere, as you only have audio and both Tracks will be in sync, as the audio is from the SAME TRACK.

Again, problem solved.

My Karaoke software is able to do this work-around.
If yours doesn't, get rid of the cheap-a## software.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Let's face it if they had American Idol back in the 50's & 60's, singers like Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and others would not have become stars. They did their songs in their own style.

Yes they would. They didn't need American Idol in their day to get where they got, and they wouldn't need it now. They all had talent and drive, and that's all you need. American Idol is only for those who don't have the drive to do the hard work. If you are talented, why not wait for American Idol to come to your town, and just stand in line? Almost too easy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm 

gd123 wrote:
I can't answer your question as to whether any Karaoke software exists to do what you are asking.

But, lets say you have a Karaoke Vocal demonstration track and Karaoke software that allows the removal of the track that has the demo vocals (Multiplex Buttons). Let's say that same software allows you to choose an audio card of which you have two (Audio1 and Audio2) and Audio1 is selected. If these parameters are met, you can play this track for you to sing to and the audience will NOT hear the demo vocal.

Now, let's say that same Karaoke software allows you to run a 2nd instance of the software where you choose Audio2 and the output is to your Headphones. Queue the same song into the player and try to hit PLAY on both songs as simultaneously as possible. You will hear the Vocal Demo through the Headphones but the audience will not.

Now, if there is a problem with the Graphics trying to display, at the same time, to the Singer's/Audience Monitor(s), simply set your display on the 2nd open Karaoke software to VID1.

This should solve your problem.

Now, if your Karaoke software does NOT allow Video set to VID1, then use software to strip the AUDIO off the Vocal Demo track and queue that into your second karaoke player.

You won't need to worry about Karaoke Graphics appearing anywhere, as you only have audio and both Tracks will be in sync, as the audio is from the SAME TRACK.

Again, problem solved.

My Karaoke software is able to do this work-around.
If yours doesn't, get rid of the cheap-a## software.

what machine or software are you using? i am still trying to find a good machine and or software

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:

Also, who's style are they supposed to sing their song in?

Do they take a time machine to the future and listen to other people's renditions and pick the best one, before going back in time and recording it for the first time?

:?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Yes they would. They didn't need American Idol in their day to get where they got, and they wouldn't need it now. They all had talent and drive, and that's all you need. American Idol is only for those who don't have the drive to do the hard work. If you are talented, why not wait for American Idol to come to your town, and just stand in line? Almost too easy.

When big media corporations get a hold of anything innovative or creative, the only thing we can be absolutely sure of is that they will F it up.

Back in the 60's when Rock really took off, we thought TV would bring our favorite bands into our living rooms.
Instead we got some corp ahole's idea of what they thought teens wanted to see.

We wanted to see our idols playing their songs to see how they did it. Instead, we got 20 seconds of cutaways of them lip synching and 2 minutes and 40 seconds(songs had to be under 3 minutes back then) of stupid psychedelic special effects.

The new generation of shows like Idol are totally scripted and have nothing to do with who is actually the best singer.
Each year they have an agenda mapped out from the very beginning and finals qualifiers are chosen based not on talent, but on the script chosen for the year. Every year they script whether it will be the Diva, the struggling single mom/dad, the villain, the good ol' country boy/girl, or the flaming gay who comes out on top at the end.

Total trash and BS.