KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Top Professional KJ Software Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:40 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I’ve read posts where this has been covered before but they have been from several years ago and haven’t found anything recent so I wanted to touch on it again and I apologize if there’s a massive thread for this already.

I’ve been using Lyrx and Karaoki from PCDJ for several years but it is time to make a change.

What are your opinions on the absolute best karaoke program that meet these requirements.....

1. Ability to receive Remote requests from singers phones, kiosk mode, and manually entered songs (all at the same time) that load directly into the program when the song is submitted. The remote request needs to be easily and quickly updatable because I add new songs every week.

2. Different singer rotation options

3. Tempo and key changes on the fly.

4. Ability to download a song I don’t have during the event and be able to immediately load/play it after downloading.

5. Rock solid and stable as it can be. I get hired for the big competitions in my area and I cannot have failures. Example: I always have two laptops running just in case one goes down and I also have at least two karaoke programs running in case one of them freezes or has a problem.

6. Must be able to be installed on at least 2 computers at the same time.

Alright, fire away my friends!!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Best is subject to the user.
MTU Hoster has all the features you were looking for plus.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Agree with Lonman, best to try out the demos of the programs that have demos. I personally like OpenKJ because of several reasons. I too have DEX 3 pro but find only one area lacking and that's the fact that to put a message up it's possible to a, not be able to see the message because of the background and b, it can interfere with the lyrics on the screen if the music manufacturer uses the full screen to display the lyrics.
OpenKJ offers most if not all of your requirements. It's rock solid. it has saved my bacon several times when Compuhost or Hoster had failed me. It has a low cost of using it, basically the cost to use the request system and buy the songs. The program itself is freeware. The request system allows you to show singers songs that are not in your library but you can buy and download them. Party Tyme songs can be automatically added to the database after downloading when bought through the built in song store. The others can be accessed from within the browser that can be launched just by pressing a button on the request system receiver built into OpenKJ itself. You have complete control over the adding of songs into the singer's que because the request system only displays a single version of the song and you get to decide which one to give them. Haven't tested the key change in a live situation, always have set it before starting a song and restarted the song with the new key. Three options for adding new singers into the rotation 1, bottom of list, 2, before current singer and the most unfair of them all next.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Once again, Lonman is correct. What I think is the best, may not work for you. So, what do you do in a case like this?

You have several choices, among them...

1. Find something else to do. Avoid the headache. Karaoke is not what it once was.
2. Download all the DEMOS and see what works best for you.

Then, you will be able to make your own qualified decision. But why someone would want to get into this business during these times, I'll never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
Personally, I like Karma.

https://karaosoft.com/ProductDetails_Karma.aspx

It's the best performing, most rock solid, well thought out karaoke app to ever exist.

...but I may be a little biased :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:52 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:

It's the best performing, most rock solid, well thought out karaoke app to ever exist.

I liked Karma even though I have yet to run a show with it but I have a whole folder that I used Openkj's mp3+g to mp4 converter on and it won't play those mp4 files. Files that I converted with Power Karaoke's converter and ones that I bought as mp4 files all work fine, just the ones converted with Openkj's converter only played the audio of the song. Any ideas Bob? Please only Bob should answer this since it's his software anyway. After all he should know his software. The only fix that I have found is to take any video converter and convert them to conventional mp4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:43 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Awesome thanks for the replies so far! I’ve been looking for a while and tentatively have it narrowed down to Karma and Compuhost. Just wondering what else maybe out there that I have overlooked.

I’m actually very lucky here in Alabama. Everything is still open and business as usual, although crowds are smaller and there are some people that are not wanting to go out, everything is still open. We shut down for two months but I have still consistently in 3 to 5 events a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:

I liked Karma even though I have yet to run a show with it but I have a whole folder that I used Openkj's mp3+g to mp4 converter on and it won't play those mp4 files. Files that I converted with Power Karaoke's converter and ones that I bought as mp4 files all work fine, just the ones converted with Openkj's converter only played the audio of the song. Any ideas Bob? Please only Bob should answer this since it's his software anyway. After all he should know his software. The only fix that I have found is to take any video converter and convert them to conventional mp4.

Danny, you need to stop bothering Mr. Latshaw. I'm sure he's getting tired of your nonsense. So, leave the poor man alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I liked Karma even though I have yet to run a show with it but I have a whole folder that I used Openkj's mp3+g to mp4 converter on and it won't play those mp4 files. Files that I converted with Power Karaoke's converter and ones that I bought as mp4 files all work fine, just the ones converted with Openkj's converter only played the audio of the song. Any ideas Bob?

Yes. Email me one of the videos. Most likely they either use some rare compression codec or you have some third party codec that is overriding Karma's built in codecs.

Just a tip. If an app is free, there's a reason. If you actually spent money on a converter, it will more than likely work. You get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Attachment:
openkj.png
openkj.png [ 46.03 KiB | Viewed 32096 times ]

Also, according to recent posts on their facebook page, it's not known for being reliable. If you own the one from Power Karaoke and paid for it, and it works, why not use it? Wouldn't it just make sense to use the converter that makes MP4s that work on all of your apps? It's a no brainer. Clearly PowerKaraoke is using a much more widely used and accepted compression scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
I have been out of the business for several years now, and decided to go a different way than a real computer, and having to deal with a program that could crash on you and then no show. I have almost 19,000 songs on CDG's and put them all on a hard drive player. The real work is taking each track and down loading it on to the hard drive and assigning a number to the track. This takes weeks to do, once you have made up books, see I'm dating my self, all a person has to do is write their name and the track number you are in business. The hard dive on the player has never crashed and just in case, I have a back up. It really isn't an issue, since I'm no longer in the business.

All you have to do is punch the number and play the song. I used this method during most of my hosting career, never had a hard drive failure. In fact I still have my loaded player in my workshop and it still works after over 20 years. I'm told you can no longer by a hard drive player that records CDG's directly, a pity it is a good way to go. If you need more songs I still have plenty of space to put them on since the hard drive holds up to 25,000 tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 13 times
I like Siglos personally !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i like Siglos Karaoke Professional myself, all the features of the other software, plus some, lower cost, and great performance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

For visual comparison
Attachment:
WindowsKaraokeApps.png
WindowsKaraokeApps.png [ 995.21 KiB | Viewed 31859 times ]

Here are the top 5 I've seen used (in alphabetical order, at scale, on a 1280 wide display)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i like Siglos Karaoke Professional myself, all the features of the other software, plus some, lower cost, and great performance

The only part of that statement that was truthful was the lower cost part, and it's for the reason you would expect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
For visual comparison
Attachment:
WindowsKaraokeApps.png

Here are the top 5 I've seen used (in alphabetical order, at scale, on a 1280 wide display)

Attractive looks wise order
1 Karma
2. Video Hoster
3. Compuhost
4.Justkaraoke
5. Siglos
But it doesn't exactly mean that the best functional software is in that order.
1. Karma
2. Hoster
3. Siglos
4. Compuhost
5. Justkaraoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Correction: Compuhost's screen shot is not to scale. Although the image was pulled directly from their web site, it appears they literally shrunk it smaller than original size. Even when you use their zoom tool, you're still not seeing the complete image. That's rare for a software company. Clearly they're not super proud of the visual details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
My karma hosting program, an intuitive user interface. Use the default skin (1st pic), or modify it to your preference (2nd pic).

Attachments:
Karma2.png
Karma2.png [ 470.74 KiB | Viewed 31807 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
These are the 2 I use

Attachments:
Karma Gold.GIF
Karma Gold.GIF [ 116.79 KiB | Viewed 31700 times ]
Karma Blue.GIF
Karma Blue.GIF [ 95.82 KiB | Viewed 31700 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
Correction: Compuhost's screen shot is not to scale. Although the image was pulled directly from their web site, it appears they literally shrunk it smaller than original size. Even when you use their zoom tool, you're still not seeing the complete image. That's rare for a software company. Clearly they're not super proud of the visual details.

I based my opinion on Compuhost's interface based upon actual experience. Personally I feel that Siglos should not have been listed as high as it was because I hate all of the separate pieces. I prefer them in one solid interface.
I want to play around with the interface. I would like to extend the slips part over below the rotation part so that I can read the messages better.