KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - How Do YOU Take Requests? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Rather than hi-jack the "remote request" thread, I thought I'd ask how you all take requests..

My clientele ranges from "barely legal" drinking age, to folks even older than me (and I'm pretty close to Methusela.) The majority have been singing Karaoke since before the age of cell phones... and many don't even carry one.

So, my shows feature books (by artist and by title) up-dated annually. It used to be every six months or so, but that's gotten very pricey. I lay out request slips near the books that I have commercially copied/printed 5,000 at a time.. And I encourage the patrons to "steal" the pens... Hey, it's good advertising.

Having said all that, I'd say about 50% of the singers submit request slips... some never know what they want to sing until they have microphone in hand... a few will shout out their requests on the way to the stage... and for a small minority, I actually walk to their table to ask what they want... The final (PITA) few will ask me to pick a song for them..

I treat all our singers, even the newcomers, as "family", and would never think of imposing anything they might find inconvenient (like cell phone or kiosk requests) upon them.

Your mileage may vary, and if so, the question stands... How do YOU take requests?

Have a Very Merry Christmas, and all Good Wishes for the New Year, from southwestern Ontario, Canada.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Earl, I agree with you 100%. I really don't care how a singer turns in a request. I'm just glad to have singers. So, whatever works for them is fine by me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Say guys, have a Merry Christmas, and to all the current and former hosts on this web site. At least this is one Christmas I won't have to worry about flashing red lights, since I'm home. If there are it is the Christmas tree hopefully and not the smoke alarm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:34 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Paper slips and verbal. Occasionally i'll get a text or messenger request which I also accept.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I take requests via remote request system or text. I refuse to take it verbally or on paper. On top of dealing with covid, I am tired of being told that I screwed up the spelling of the name for verbal requests and tired of not being able to read their chicken scratch on written requests. So it's more than just covid taking me this way and making the remote request system mandatory has helped get singers to use it and once they do, I have gotten compliments on having it and asked why doesn't everyone use one of these systems. I had this for years before covid even reared it's ugly head whether or not it was Songbookdb, Songbooks Online, OpenKJ Songbook, Super Remote Request Tool or Siglos.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have gotten compliments on having it and asked why doesn't everyone use one of these systems.

every show this happens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have gotten compliments on having it and asked why doesn't everyone use one of these systems.

every show this happens

I would go back to slips if Bib added the ability of printing single slips from a label printer which would eliminate my objection to slips.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

every show this happens

I would go back to slips if Bib added the ability of printing single slips from a label printer which would eliminate my objection to slips.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but it's my guess that Bob thinks you are some kind of nut.