KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Lexicon MX200 presets Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lexicon MX200 presets
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:16 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
I just got a Lexicon MX200 to run some better effects than the internal effects of my mixer. It has 99 presets which sound pretty darn good to me (I will be using the 24/Nashville mostly of course). But I hear people denigrating the presets.

Does anyone have one of these, and can they share some insight on good vocal effects? So far I like 1/Big Pop for oldies, 24/Nashville for country, 23/Big Easy for lighter modern vocals.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Mickey Im not familiar with that lexicon but the good Fx.. Delay/Reverb Delay/Chorous

Anything to pick up on the singers voice and add to their harmonics. The secret is the delay and tail has to be adjusted for the venue. I cant put in words how to run Fx all I can do is show you...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I had the Lex200 and loved it. I shipped it to Jian over in Malaysia......PM him for advice cause i'm sure he has had ample time to use it both live band and  KJ playback.

I found the Lex 200 was too much for my needs when live, but well worth the price sonicly if recording.

I am presently TOTALLY satisfied with the FX built in to my new Peavey FX 16 mixer....The mixer is much simpler to use for live/KJ stuff and has FX features that will astound you.

The Lex is a bargain and is true pro gear, but too complicated for the typical KJ.

If you plan to do lots of home recording, then keep the Lex cause it is studio level gear with no faults....But if you plan to simply KJ, then find a mixer with the same quality and simplicity of the Peavey FX line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Keith sent me a unit. We use it for recording, live band and karaoke. For live and karaoke, preset are what we normally use. There are tons of it to choose from and. The manual that comes with it gives good explanation on what those preset are for. It is almost impossible to recommend any one of efx preset. I lot depend on the genre of music and personal preference. There is no real need to mess around the setting for live/karaoke.

For recording we do not use preset. Preset are just the starting points.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

So far I like the processor quite a bit. I am pretty comfortable using it in preset mode, certainly. I have it set up to be fed from the FX send of my mixer, and then return in via a stereo channel.

I know that typically you send a signal out to an effects processor via an aux send (the FX send on my mixer) and return an effects processor via an Aux Return. What is the difference between a pair of Aux Returns and a regular stereo channel on a mixer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

There are more than one correct way to hook up an out board efx box. Returning the efx to a spare channel gives you more control. We have no spare channel to do that so have never try returning the signal via that route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

On the Mackie Aux1 return has its own fader Aux2 mixes the external and internal FX then the fader sets the level of both.  Like Jian says you have more control Also you can tailor with the EQ a tad.

I dont like running full unity level into procs and with the strip you have amplification if you need it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:04 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I own a Lexicon MX200 as well... I also like the number 24 preset too... but very important (if you haven't figured it out yet)  the first set of 99 presets are non-configurable, but the second set of 99 presets are.  You can tell which set you are in if the number has a dot next to it, and therefore those can be configured. ...Which is very important if you want to set up the processor in Parallel mode (which most people do)... or you will be lacking 1/2 of the processing sound on a bunch of the effects (#24 being one of them - since it isn't defaulted in parallel)

So what I did and went though every configurable preset (with the dot) and set them as parallel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Michael R @ Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm wrote:
I own a Lexicon MX200 as well... I also like the number 24 preset too... but very important (if you haven't figured it out yet)  the first set of 99 presets are non-configurable, but the second set of 99 presets are.  You can tell which set you are in if the number has a dot next to it, and therefore those can be configured. ...Which is very important if you want to set up the processor in Parallel mode (which most people do)... or you will be lacking 1/2 of the processing sound on a bunch of the effects (#24 being one of them - since it isn't defaulted in parallel)

I thought what I wanted was the "2" routing, i.e. serial, since I just have a mono in (the FX send). Then the signal gets sent through each engine in turn.  My understanding is that the 24 uses "mono split" routing, which means essentially that it is just like medium plate when you have a mono signal.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
So what I did and went though every configurable preset (with the dot) and set them as parallel.

I will have to play with some of them -- haven't gotten that far yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Michael R @ Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm wrote:

I actually went and set my favorites as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Turns out the 24/Nashville sounds better to me without the second engine processor, so I kept it in the "4" routing as it came originally.

I have settled on these five presets as my main ones:

1. - 1   Big Pop Vocal  -- use for most vocalists, most oldies
           2. - 24  Nashville      -- decent country singers
           3. - 23  Big Easy       -- Alternative songs
           4. - 3   Retroverb      -- Some oldies, i.e. old Elvis
           5. - 36  Vocal Chorus   -- Metal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Mickey I downloaded the manual and looking at the presets  Two that jump out are 33, I have always used spring with old rock & 35 with a short delay..

There is one in live sound I like to try The one with big plate..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

karyoker @ Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 am wrote:
Mickey I downloaded the manual and looking at the presets  Two that jump out are 33, I have always used spring with old rock & 35 with a short delay..

There is one in live sound I like to try The one with big plate..

I do like 33 and 35. I have made them 6 and 7 on my list, and will try the 33 for some of the old rock.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The only time I host anymore is when Greg wants a cig break and its hard to get used to switching presets. Do you switch with every singer or do you have one preset that you could leave on most of the time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

karyoker @ Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:03 am wrote:
The only time I host anymore is when Greg wants a cig break and its hard to get used to switching presets. Do you switch with every singer or do you have one preset that you could leave on most of the time?

I default to 1, and I have only used the Lexicon at one show so far. But I change effects pretty often depending on the singer.

If the singer is a bit dodgy I tend to give them a lot of reverb -- this is the default. If they have a rich voice, I keep the reverb minimal and boost the bass on EQ a tad. If they are a tenor or have a clear, thin voice I use a bit of delay and boost the midrange.

If it is my first time at the venue, I also test before the show from out in the FOH area with a wireless mic, using familiar songs in the lower and higher part of my range.

It seems to work well, as I have people come and tell me how much they like how things sound.....and the Lexicon will make things even better, I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
It seems to work well, as I have people come and tell me how much they like how things sound.....and the Lexicon will make things even better, I hope.

LMAO You will not be dissapointed It is one of the best investments you ever made I have used the 550 on 3 or 4 shows now and my host is in the habit of switching presets.
Even the best singers sound like pros I had a stranger come up to me and say Now she is not singing that is lip sync. I cracked up!!! I looked at patty and made her laugh!!!

It makes a system so easy to sing on and when anybody is (not at peak) it compensates. I take pride in the fact that nobody (well maybe 10%) does not sound bad on my system. I have sang on many band systems and karaoke systems When I am singing and walk out in front of the mains it blows me away.

Just for kicks in sound test I played In The Mood and old 40's recording off an old 78 It sounded like a live band!!! The lexicon preset was dlay/reverb short delay. Now this was with 4 other procs. But for vocals we are using it in insert or paralell processing and it still works the vocals like you want. It is awesome!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I have been using this unit for about a month now. It is great -- the reverbs beat anything I have seen from a mixer.

I have 5 presets I use, set up as 1-5 in user space. Sound great.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Oh Im lovin mine.. Im starting to put subs on SS of my singers I have the first one subbed.  Give It Away This is with a Lexicon 550 the verb4 set on chorus and short verb the mixer on spring A slight nudge on the eFx fader during chorus to blend with background singers.

It is further processed wirh a Bbe 362 and Aphex 104. It is a pure pleasure to work with talent like this.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:17 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I know this is a very old post but can some of you with Lexicon MX200 experience weigh in again on usage tips for the newbie? I have been using 5 user presets which I borrowed from user mckyj57. I have the routing for those presets mostly at 2 for Cascade and 1 of them at 4 for Serial (#24 Nashville). I have the effects processor routed return/send via a post fade Aux and a return to a stereo channel although for my first show back after Covid 19 shutdown, I ran the returns into 2 separate mono channels and played with EQ on each a bit (mixer has sweepable mids on those channels). This mixer will also allow the returns to go to the same channel as the internal effects to be combined or isolated for each singer. I am trying to find a smooth way to work in an occasional delay but I don't seem to have it down yet when I am at a show for whatever reason. Even tried just leaving the MX200 on its reverb and then using the mixer's internal delay for ease but not happy yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:34 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I'm enjoying using the Lexicon along with my mixers delay for that occasional cool delay. In general, I'm very pleased with the effects and I use about 5 regularly and another 4 or so sparingly. May experiment with de-esser in the unit as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:34 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I'm enjoying using the Lexicon along with my mixers delay for that occasional cool delay. In general, I'm very pleased with the effects and I use about 5 regularly and another 4 or so sparingly. May experiment with de-esser in the unit as well.