KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Well, well... here we go again... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
c. staley wrote:
Alan B wrote:
I have bought many tracks from Karaoke Version. I believe them to be credible and on the up & up. It is not my responsibility or my job to "police" this and other sights for the legality of their offerings. I buy from them in good faith. So, personally I really could give a sh*t about what they're doing. And I really don't care.

And I also bought my DK Millennium set from a reputable vendor (Amazon). Are they legit? I really don't care. I purchased it in good faith, paid for it, got a receipt and I'm done.

There are much more important things in life to worry about than if everything you buy (from a reputable company) is legal.

Here's the rub: You might have purchased in "good faith" but when you know that any track is not licensed, you certainly are not "using it in good faith."

HOST: "But officer, I bought the stolen taxi in good faith. I should be able to keep it and drive it everywhere for money. I don't care where it came from. "
COP: "So, because you paid a thief and got a receipt, you think you should keep the car and now it's yours to keep using?"

See how stupid that sounds?

Apples and oranges. The law states bought in good faith when it comes to our products. That rule was never meant to cover stuff like a taxi.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Alan B wrote:
I have bought many tracks from Karaoke Version. I believe them to be credible and on the up & up. It is not my responsibility or my job to "police" this and other sights for the legality of their offerings. I buy from them in good faith. So, personally I really could give a sh*t about what they're doing. And I really don't care.

And I also bought my DK Millennium set from a reputable vendor (Amazon). Are they legit? I really don't care. I purchased it in good faith, paid for it, got a receipt and I'm done.

There are much more important things in life to worry about than if everything you buy (from a reputable company) is legal.

Here's the rub: You might have purchased in "good faith" but when you know that any track is not licensed, you certainly are not "using it in good faith."

HOST: "But officer, I bought the stolen taxi in good faith. I should be able to keep it and drive it everywhere for money. I don't care where it came from. "
COP: "So, because you paid a thief and got a receipt, you think you should keep the car and now it's yours to keep using?"

See how stupid that sounds?

Apples and oranges. The law states bought in good faith when it comes to our products. That rule was never meant to cover stuff like a taxi.

Actually, no.

The reality may be, nobody cares about a CD+G purchase, no money to be recovered from the average KJ.
Plus, most product was released without proper license anyway, and everyone knows that.

However, receiving stolen property will cover yore taxi problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Lonman wrote:
So since just about every manufacturer has been guilty of creating tracks without proper channels - do we go through each and every track to seek out if they had proper licensing to be created and quit using them if not? Which brands do you use that are squeaky clean out of curiosity?

If you contracted for a Gem set, then you've already agreed to do just that...in writing... with every single one of those songs.

The same is true if you got yourself a HELP license...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:
So since just about every manufacturer has been guilty of creating tracks without proper channels - do we go through each and every track to seek out if they had proper licensing to be created and quit using them if not? Which brands do you use that are squeaky clean out of curiosity?

If you contracted for a Gem set, then you've already agreed to do just that...in writing... with every single one of those songs.

As I understand it, only the owners of the song/music/copyright can ask about proper licensing.

The consumer, (Private citizen, KJ, DJ) has no standing to legally ask about these issues.
They do not own anything except a CD+G disk or a downloaded file.

And, to use these items in a commercial setting, (A KJ/DJ show) pro fees must also be paid.

(All pro fees are handled by the East Coast Italian Families, and they decide how much gets forwarded to the copyright owner)

So, follow along: If any company makes or imports or copies a CD+G disk, or downloaded file, they can not give you permission to perform in public. They, (Producers) do not have the right to do that. That's covered by the Pro fees.

If a Kickstarter campaign asks for funding to create KJ/DJ songs, run away, as fast as you can. It's sure to be a scam.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:25 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:

I don't use the GEM however I was asking which brands you use that are squeaky clean (no lawsuits against them)??

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I bought "The Closing Song" the second I saw it. Every now and again, I close a show with it. I paid for it. I'm not going to stop using it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I bought "The Closing Song" the second I saw it. Every now and again, I close a show with it. I paid for it. I'm not going to stop using it.

you bought it from Red Peters.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

you bought it from Red Peters.....

Nope. KV.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:30 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Lonman wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:

I don't use the GEM however I was asking which brands you use that are squeaky clean (no lawsuits against them)??
Still waiting for an answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:39 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Out of my true passion and love for music, I feel bad that Red Peters isn't going to receive a dime for the use of his song. "Use" in this case initially being the unauthorized reproduction which happened to be for resale. Flagrant thievery! Plain out and out ROBBED HIM! They made out, he should have been fairly compensated. Regardless of "the law", to me it's ingrained in my being- "do unto others!" I feel compelled to share my "story", so please allow me to indulge further... I "got lucky" according to some. I was "sued" for using, how did they put it? Oh yeah, "counterfeit karaoke" . Copied to a hard drive and without proper authorization to do so. When I purchased the discs in the beginning, "copying" to me meant copying to a cd. I knew I could have operated multiple systems (with essentially ONE library) but I wasn't going to do that because it meant I wouldn't be paying for a second (or third, etc) library of not just karaoke, oh no, I initially thought of my vast music library which I started to accrue when I was 6 and my older sisters bought me my first 45's! Not long after that I stayed awake on Sunday nights to illegally record the Dr. Demento show with a handheld cassette recorder held up to my mom's old stereo cabinet. In my teens, I bought my first big item at 16, a state-of-the-art Pioneer system with compact disc! I started in radio the following year.
I started as a "KJ" in August of 1993 when I interviewed for a guy that said his wife worked in 'bank security' and she was so 'high up' that I was vetted just to be able to come to the interview. I was 22 and green and just figured that was why they had a successful karaoke business with two systems that were purchased at our local high end music store. Said he went there and asked for band quality equipment to do karaoke with. Little did I know he gave me a story to cover the fact his wife had embezzled nearly a million dollars and they'd created the karaoke company in an attempt to help hide it, or claim that's where the money had come from. It was actually during the year 1995 that their ruse began to unravel and I could only hope and dream that I might be able to purchase the business/equipment. In August of '95, I found out the truth of their scam via a phone call from my bosses mother-in-law, five minutes before I read about it on the front page of the local paper! When the repo man came six months later I was lucky to get it all for pennies on the dollar! So, MOST WANTED Karaoke & DJ Service was 'founded in' February 1996. It was during that time frame that I was approached by another DJ company asking if I'd let them copy the karaoke library since they'd figured out how to do so. I had no desire to, as I didn't feel technology was as advanced and I didn't want to risk sound quality so I hauled discs. 90 laser discs and close to 1,000 karaoke cdg's up until I finally gave in, in 2007.
You see, I knew I could have operated that second system starting in 1996 with a music library that was a 'copy' of all of the discs I had, but in all honesty, I didn't feel that it was right. It just seemed wrong. I am, have always been and always will be, a lover of the arts. Music primarily. Sure, I sort of shot myself in the foot by not operating a second or third system all of these years, but I don't care. I've been more successful than I could've hoped for. But, I do take a degree of pride in still feeling as if I took the moral high ground. I always had this thought that, 'The guy pushing a broom in some backwoods no-name studio deserves his two dollars an hour! If I don't pay... '. I haven't even watched but maybe four movies on the Firesticks I have. Just didn't have the same enjoyment knowing it was piracy. Had PEP been more up and up... had they not come at me like crooks themselves... they dropped it after almost three years! I finally gave them a clone of my drive and pictures of my discs and receipts and not long after that. they dropped it. I lost two really good weekly gigs (one in my home town of 6500, we're 25 miles from 'the cities' where the good biz is) plus a bi-monthly gig I had for eight years prior! Still have some mild resentment, if you will, but... I feel sad that Red Peters was so blatantly robbed. Surely he has medical bills and expenses like the rest of us. A family. That's my two cents. Or 99. My plan for the future... do as I've done. Do the next 'right' thing. Treat others the way I would want to be, and the rest should take care of itself. Happy New Year to everyone. Thanks for reading my rambling. May 2020 be the start of 'a roaring plenty' for all of us!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:42 pm 

Been Liked: 1 time
[quote="KJKILLER"]Don't forget to delete all of your Music Maestro, All Hits Backstage and many others that weren't properly licensed in the past. LOL[/quote]
Is THAT what happened to All Hits? It was damn near impossible to track down the AH 8000 series, had to find a used set on fleabay. (Private karaoke fan, so no laws broken.)