KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - mIRC Channel pays the fees to artists and publishers? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Bastiat wrote:
Chip .... did you actually see the PHM branding or are you just identifying the lyrics authoring with the PHM style. If so, I did author the lyrics for the first dozen or so Top Tunes discs (not the music) so if that's the case then they would be legitimate.

I never saw the PHM logo, I saw the Top Tunes logo.

The song is listed on ONLY 2 brands: PHM and Fasttrax (FTX) and NOT on Top Tunes (TT) and it was made in 2012. I know it was yours - just as I had done it dozens of times before - only the logo was changed.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Do you remember the name of the song?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:49 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Bastiat wrote:

No, but hum a few bars..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:50 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Would that be anything like the 77th Hymn? You know him, him, F@#k him. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
RebeccaB wrote:
Just had a long conversation with another KJ in town who says he pays an mIRC channel to download any and all karaoke music he wants and that it's all perfectly legal. Been doing it for years! And he feels he's completely covered because the venues he works in pay their BMI/ASCAP fees.

I had never heard of mIRC channels so I asked if it's legal. He said "Of course it’s legal. I signed up on this program 15 years ago. I get zips and MP3’s thru there. It’s basically a worldwide forum of KJ’s that search and share. Ya have to follow their strict guidelines, but it works, and I love it. If it exists, I can get it! If it doesn’t, I can sometimes make ‘em myself."

He offered to get me anything I wanted for $1 per song. He actually thinks the fees he pays to the channel pays the artists back. Is he right?

Another quote, "Also, what makes most karaoke songs easy to get, is they are recorded with a slightly different pitch or key or tempo, etc... so it’s not up to the artists what songs of theirs is available to be made karaoke..."

When I mentioned the mechanical license as the reason why not every song can be made for karaoke because this license is denied he said, "Yes, “mechanical”. So a karaoke song can be slightly altered to pass by without being in any violation."

Finally, his background, "I know how rights work. I worked in radio for 20 years, produced commercials, sang jingles. I'm not making money off the artists lyrics on the screen, I’m making money as an independent contractor providing a service. I pay fees, I pay taxes, and the bars I play at pay ascap/BMI."

Thoughts?

RebbecaB > Please do not believe what you posted here. This is Not true. IRC is just like a Torrent site. Do not fall for this crap... illegal downloading 100% if coming from IRC.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Bastiat wrote:
Reread my post. I understand that all kinds of content is available through these channels and regardless as to whether or not there are criminal infractions, doesn't change the fact that it don't amount to a hill of beans if the source(s) can't be identified. Nor do I think that once the content is out there, that there's much chance that it can be removed. I certainly am not about to waste my resources on trying to locate them.

It's crap like this that will never stop. Too many... just from Searching 'IRC Karaoke" tons of channels pop up. eBay hard drive listings have slowed down... I'm seeing one or two new ad postings a week now.

I've already confirmed with Jim Harrington about the Complete Gem set is on all the channels a couple years back. It turned out the bit rate is of a lower quality set.

PHM/THM I also noticed were available in my IRC research a couple years back.

The only simple fix is to Sell "Pro KJ License to play (Manufacturer name here)

It's Win Win Win... regardless of what os out there. All you would need to keep track of is the Licenses (PER DEVICE) I will gladly pay $1000 for a KJ Pro DEVICE license along with $100/yr for maintenance. I'm sure many other KJ's would too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
Bastiat wrote:
Reread my post. I understand that all kinds of content is available through these channels and regardless as to whether or not there are criminal infractions, doesn't change the fact that it don't amount to a hill of beans if the source(s) can't be identified. Nor do I think that once the content is out there, that there's much chance that it can be removed. I certainly am not about to waste my resources on trying to locate them.

It's crap like this that will never stop. Too many... just from Searching 'IRC Karaoke" tons of channels pop up. eBay hard drive listings have slowed down... I'm seeing one or two new ad postings a week now.

I've already confirmed with Jim Harrington about the Complete Gem set is on all the channels a couple years back. It turned out the bit rate is of a lower quality set.

PHM/THM I also noticed were available in my IRC research a couple years back.

It's Win Win Win... regardless of what os out there. All you would need to keep track of is the Licenses (PER DEVICE) I will gladly pay $1000 for a KJ Pro DEVICE license along with $100/yr for maintenance. I'm sure many other KJ's would too.

Speak for yourself. Everyone here knows that zero Karaoke song manufacturers are going to agree to take a cut of just the $1000 per device, they are going to want all of it so to use multiple brands, it's going to end up being that per device fee is going to be for each manufacturer and don't think that one manufacturer isn't going to try and put in a clause that you use only their brand. I for one won't pay that because I can't afford to pay that per manufacturer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Works for Microsoft. They buy up all kinds of small businesses in their competitive software market.

Companies like Pep can easily rename the "Help" License to "KJ Pro Device license" and charge whatever they want. I'm sure they can find 10,000 kj's out there who would participate in this program.

Heck even Stellar or Sybersound should do this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:23 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Stellar is out of business so I doubt they would consider it. Sybersound does just fine without something like that so I doubt they would consider it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
cousinvinnie wrote:

There is no simple fix to combat piracy. Never has been and never will be. All past simple fix ideas have failed and this one is so dumb it isn't even worth mentioning as a simple fix. Then again, maybe it is the simple fix you are looking for. Based on your positions so far you appear to want the karaoke producers to love you for pennies on the dollar. This wold be a simple fix for that I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Bastiat wrote:

Pm'd the info to you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Pm'd the info to you.

Thanks .... got it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Rebecca, listen up! What your friend is doing is illegal, period! Contrary to how your friend wants to justify it, those file sharing sites are illegal. Your friend is a pirate. Please provide his info so we can report him to PEP.

There has never been one single manufacturer that has authorized it's tracks to be shared on line. Just ask PEP. And it's not just music and karaoke tracks. It's anything!

Do you really think that Adobe is OK with everyone sharing (stealing) Photoshop robbing them of thousands of dollars?

Again, there is no manufacturer that has ever allowed their software, music, videos, etc. to be shared for free on line.

So, if you won't report your friend, post the info so we can do it.

Are people that stupid to think that manufacturers create software so that it can be shared on line for free and not receive any compensation for it?

You should know better, Rebecca. And you should have dealt with your friend and not let him try to get over on you. I know that piracy is never going to go away and this is just how it is... But...

When you have a so called friend who is basically telling you he's a pirate, further helping to put an end to the profession that you work in, and choose to do nothing about it, then you're just as guilty as he is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
Please provide his info so we can report him to PEP.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Alan B wrote:
When you have a so called friend who is basically telling you he's a pirate, further helping to put an end to the profession that you work in, and choose to do nothing about it, then you're just as guilty as he is.

https://kjbill.com/
https://pep.rocks/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Please provide his info so we can report him to PEP.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Yes, I know but it's better than doing nothing at all. At least you reported it and did your part. Now the balls in their court. If they choose to do nothing about it, so be it. But at least you tried.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:47 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Let me just say, this guy is NOT my friend. He happens to work at one of the venues I work at as well. I argued with him for over an hour, trying to explain that he is buying illegally and when he told me I could buy from him for $1.00 per song, I declined.

I have never seen anyone get popped in Lincoln, Nebraska for having illegal music, so the piracy continues with just about every KJ in town. They all think that what they are doing is OK.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
In past years, I HAVE reported people who I have intimate knowledge of that are pirates and nothing has ever been done. What makes now any different?

This only came up again because one of the singers tried to convince me that this guy was just trying to do me a favor. If we all have great song selection it's a win, win for everyone. I flat out told the singer he's buying illegally and I'm not going to do what he's doing. No way, no how. Trying to explain IP law to a drunk guy at 2 AM is pretty daunting. Even I don't fully understand it. But I know going to a sharing site and buying from other KJs is illegal as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:20 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

RebeccaB wrote:
Just had a long conversation with another KJ in town who says he pays an mIRC channel to download any and all karaoke music he wants and that it's all perfectly legal. Been doing it for years! And he feels he's completely covered because the venues he works in pay their BMI/ASCAP fees.

I had never heard of mIRC channels so I asked if it's legal. He said "Of course it’s legal. I signed up on this program 15 years ago. I get zips and MP3’s thru there. It’s basically a worldwide forum of KJ’s that search and share. Ya have to follow their strict guidelines, but it works, and I love it. If it exists, I can get it! If it doesn’t, I can sometimes make ‘em myself."

He offered to get me anything I wanted for $1 per song. He actually thinks the fees he pays to the channel pays the artists back. Is he right?

Another quote, "Also, what makes most karaoke songs easy to get, is they are recorded with a slightly different pitch or key or tempo, etc... so it’s not up to the artists what songs of theirs is available to be made karaoke..."

When I mentioned the mechanical license as the reason why not every song can be made for karaoke because this license is denied he said, "Yes, “mechanical”. So a karaoke song can be slightly altered to pass by without being in any violation."

Finally, his background, "I know how rights work. I worked in radio for 20 years, produced commercials, sang jingles. I'm not making money off the artists lyrics on the screen, I’m making money as an independent contractor providing a service. I pay fees, I pay taxes, and the bars I play at pay ascap/BMI."

Thoughts?

OK, here's how it actually works.
IRC, (Internet Relay Chat) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRC
is available from "Some" Internet Service Providers. Some ISPs do not allow IRC.
(Mine does, no extra charge, don't care)

If your ISP does not allow IRC, you can pay a third party a "Fee" to access their server data. Perhaps that's the FEE he claims was paid.
The data on IRC is uploaded as a "Share" in an effort to be "Cool" and not a scum sucking bottom dweller. (Failed)
There are other ways, (Copy/Paste) (Torrent), and if determined, TOR.
Yore Mileage Will Vary..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:26 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

To "Clarify" mIRC is the client software for IRC, Internet Relay Chat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:04 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Check This Out..
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/19/64961177 ... D=ref_fark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next