KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Host With Equipment Failure Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
So we have already lost around 40% of the former karaoke venues in my general area. You want me to do what nothing while more are closed? You feel it hurts the industry, that would be true if everything was going well, that I was trying to chisel into established gigs, you know, I know that isn't the case. I think preserving, expanding the customer base is the only way out until the pandemic is over. This isn't meant to be a permanent fix, just during an emergency, that has effected the industry anyway.

P.S. The hand writing is already on the wall, for those that want to read it. If non-profits cannot afford to pay hosts their only option is to have member volunteers fill the gaps, they have already done so, and have now gotten burned hiring a so called professional, that really isn't. This hurts karaoke more than anything I might do.

You are an experienced professional who has been a successful host over the years. I would not be offering my services for free. Not to anyone!

Look... if you can't afford to go out to eat, what do you do? You stay home. And if you can't afford to go out to a movie, what do you do? You stay home.

A restaurant is not going to feed you for free. A movie theater is not going to let you watch the movie for free. So... if a club, including non profit venues, cannot afford to have entertainment, what do they do? They don't have it.

I'm sorry but your lodge created their own problems. And they need to fix them themselves. By you offering your services for free is not helping them. They need to get their act together.

Now tell me... I need a new car... but I really can't afford one... do you think if I went to a dealer and told them how the pandemic has affected me and that I would like a new car but can't afford one... do you think they'd say: Hey, no problem... we'll give you one for free. I doubt it. They are a business not a charity.

And you my friend, are also a business... not a charity. You are providing a service in which you should be paid. I guarantee you... your lodge is not handing out free food and drinks to it's members who come in there. They are still making money.... poorly managed mind you, but still making money. There is no reason on this earth why you should let them take advantage of you and offer to host karaoke for free. And yes, whether you want to accept it or not, your actions do hurt the karaoke industry.

The harm and hurt is already been done, without any help from me. You guys want it both ways, you tell me what I'm going to do isn't going to help or make a difference, then you turn around and say I'm going to kill the hosting industry, which way is it? I'm not a business, I am an individual trying to do something for my local community. To be fair let us see how this plays out. You don't see doctors complaining that poor families are being helped by St. Jude's or The Shriner's hospitals do you, getting free medical care? Are you supposed to let children die because they can't afford treatment? My point is what hurts this industry more are charlatans posing as professional KJ's.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Well three more days and then showtime. I am still practicing with the new equipment, one thing I don't want is down time, still there are a lot of new things to remember. One thing this getting ready has shown me, it can be daunting to someone, especially for me since I'm not great with a computer, like my kids are.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Once again I did go to the Elk's taco/karaoke Tuesday, after laying off for a couple of weeks. I must say the host is finally getting his act together. He still doesn't have filler music, but he has learned to use his equipment, the crowd is moving nicely through their turns. His mics weren't set properly, but he adjusted them during the show. By and large I would give him a B- which is much better than an F where he started. He still has things to learn, but he is improving.

That being said the process has cost the Lodge dearly, as far as crowd size is concerned. He had 19 singers including his girlfriend which was ok for post pandemic show. I have been in the process of promoting my up coming debut this Friday, we will see how it goes? Trying to launch a new show at this time is of course risky, but sometimes I have had the best luck, in the worse situations.

P.S. In the case of the Elk's they are paying for not hiring, good help to begin with. This is an example of when you let friendship cloud your judgement. Venue owner's need to pay more attention to the people they are hiring, to work with them. I said 3 out of 5 non profits couldn't afford to pay for karaoke, make that 4 out of 5.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
In another thread, LR wrote:

I would think the lack of a response indicates the depths this pandemic has sunk the industry to.

My response: And you want to sink it even more by hosting for free.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
In another thread, LR wrote:

I would think the lack of a response indicates the depths this pandemic has sunk the industry to.

My response: And you want to sink it even more by hosting for free.

Where is MR.SCOTT when you need him, now we are mixing and matching posts from different threads? That is ok with me since I like mixing and matching ideas, I thought that is why the forum is here? "That which Is Dead Will Never Die" Game of Thrones. You can't sink what is already sunk, all you can do is the salvage work after the disaster.

P.S. Alan you know this isn't a blanket for free to all, it is selective, targeted, and for hopefully just the short duration of the Pandemic. It is needed to keep the public interest in karaoke, or the outside will resemble this forum, a general drop in interest in matters pertaining to karaoke. The lack of interest might be due to many factors, death of hosts that are getting up in age, retirement of hosts, fewer hosts, which you Alan might benefit from. In a few days I will find out if hosting has a future or not. I am still holding to the 3 more year prediction for viable professional karaoke hosting, as we now know it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Things are looking up, I went out last night to promote my new show. Just by chance I ran into an old friend,she wanted to hire me for a private party. She said she would pay 200.00 for 4 hours work, I accepted I will be doing that Saturday afternoon. It let's me play Robin Hood, taking from those who can afford to pay, so that I can do my so called charity work. I hope that makes Alan and Mr.Scott happy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Things are looking up, I went out last night to promote my new show. Just by chance I ran into an old friend,she wanted to hire me for a private party. She said she would pay 200.00 for 4 hours work, I accepted I will be doing that Saturday afternoon. It let's me play Robin Hood, taking from those who can afford to pay, so that I can do my so called charity work. I hope that makes Alan and Mr.Scott happy.

You doing a private gig has nothing to do with working for free in a public venue. Again, you are sending a message to bar owners that karaoke is worthless entertainment and that they can pay hosts little to nothing at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
doing a private gig has nothing to do with working for free in a public venue. Again, you are sending a message to bar owners that karaoke is worthless entertainment and that they can pay hosts little to nothing at all.

That statement is not entirely true, it is a private party being held at a public venue, the VFW. The post is making itself open to the public for that event. Once again Alan I have to point out the free karaoke is only for selective, targeted, venues who are non profit, and having economic hardship due to the pandemic. Tonight is the main event let see how that goes. Locally the bar owners have gotten that message already, many have stopped having entertainment period.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Well it's over both gigs in the bag. Was I rusty yes, was my timing off some, did I get the job done without any serious delays yes. Thanks to the venues and my efforts the word got out. Many people seemed surprised that I was still around, some thought I was dead. Crowd wise I was very pleased, I had 35 singers for my karaoke night, at the Moose, they sold all of their dinners, and the bar was full most of the night.

The private party was a bit different, I DJ'd that one which I think I enjoy more than KJ hosting. When you KJ host you are like an air traffic controller guiding the patrons in and out of the airport. When your the DJ you are more of your own captain, and can fly the plane. The VFW hosted the party which ended up being open to the public. There were over 200 persons present, only about 50 were expected, I started at 4 was supposed to end at 8, it went till 10 they paid me an extra 100.00 so I ended up making 300.00 for one night. These people are well fixed and can afford it. All in all not bad after a 7 year lay off. Let's see if my luck holds.

P.S. I stuck to my game plan I used the EV 50 for the large Moose hall, the VFW event was held in the bar area, a bit more of a challenge space wise for set up, I used the Bose, it worked perfectly for the smaller venue. I interfaced my mixer for both events, a first for me. Of course I used both events to pass out business cards, and get the word out.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Well it's over both gigs in the bag. Was I rusty yes, was my timing off some, did I get the job done without any serious delays yes. Thanks to the venues and my efforts the word got out. Many people seemed surprised that I was still around, some thought I was dead. Crowd wise I was very pleased, I had 35 singers for my karaoke night, at the Moose, they sold all of their dinners, and the bar was full most of the night.

The private party was a bit different, I DJ'd that one which I think I enjoy more than KJ hosting. When you KJ host you are like an air traffic controller guiding the patrons in and out of the airport. When your the DJ you are more of your own captain, and can fly the plane. The VFW hosted the party which ended up being open to the public. There were over 200 persons present, only about 50 were expected, I started at 4 was supposed to end at 8, it went till 10 they paid me an extra 100.00 so I ended up making 300.00 for one night. These people are well fixed and can afford it. All in all not bad after a 7 year lay off. Let's see if my luck holds.

P.S. I stuck to my game plan I used the EV 50 for the large Moose hall, the VFW event was held in the bar area, a bit more of a challenge space wise for set up, I used the Bose, it worked perfectly for the smaller venue. I interfaced my mixer for both events, a first for me. I course I used both events to pass out business cards, and get the word out.

Congrats on the comeback!!! Sounds like it was successful!!! Since you have the Bose (not sure which one) and the EV 50 Could you give an idea of using of both , sound, set up or any other successful info now you used them both for gigs!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
I had 35 singers for my karaoke night, at the Moose, they sold all of their dinners, and the bar was full most of the night.

So, obviously the Moose lodge made money... both on food and drinks. Based on this information, I'm sure they could have afforded to pay you for your services. You made them a ton of money, and yet you didn't get a dime from them.

They could have at least given you a nice tip but I'm sure they didn't. It would have been a nice gesture on their part to show their appreciation. But they have no problem taking advantage of you.

So, you packed the house and they made a ton of money off of you. You would be a fool if you continue to do it for free.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:38 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Do you measure everything in dollars?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:

No, I don't. But this is different.

Look, it was a packed house with 35 singers! People spent money on food and drinks. So, I would say that the lodge had a very profitable night. You contributed to them having a great night. Yet, even though you didn't ask for anything, they could have at least thrown you a few bucks as a token of their appreciation.

I'm sure with all of the money they made that night, they could have easily paid you $150. They do not need your charity. What they need is people who know how to manage the place.

Now, it wasn't like the place was dead, and only had 3 or 4 singers. They had a whopping 35 singers. And people spent money on food and drinks, selling out of all their dinners!

You are a fool. Open your blind eyes. All this lodge is doing is taking advantage of you. They're making money on the free entertainment at your expense. Seriously, if you continue to do this for free, you really are a fool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Look, it was a packed house with 35 singers! People spent money on food and drinks. So, I would say that the lodge had a very profitable night. You contributed to them having a great night. Yet, even though you didn't ask for anything, they could have at least thrown you a few bucks as a token of their appreciation.

I'm sure with all of the money they made that night, they could have easily paid you $150. They do not need your charity. What they need is people who know how to manage the place.

Now, it wasn't like the place was dead, and only had 3 or 4 singers. They had a whopping 35 singers. And people spent money on food and drinks, selling out of all their dinners!

You are a fool. Open your blind eyes. All this lodge is doing is taking advantage of you. They're making money on the free entertainment at your expense. Seriously, if you continue to do this for free, you really are a fool.

I agree with Alan here. The lodge does not need your charity, because they are not a charity themselves. They need management to step up or get out. Lone Ranger, your heart may be misguided on where to show compassion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

You gentlemen must remember I did two shows I made 300.00 at one, and donated my time at the other. Two shows 300.00 I did average 150.00 a show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

sanj wrote:

Congrats on the comeback!!! Sounds like it was successful!!! Since you have the Bose (not sure which one) and the EV 50 Could you give an idea of using of both , sound, set up or any other successful info now you used them both for gigs!!

With both speakers a little goes along way, the small lounge with the Bose I had the input volume from my laptop set at a mere 34%, I used my old Yamaha slider mixer, the slider on that was also set a 30, starting and gradually moving it up as the night progressed. At first some complained about the music being too high even at those low settings. As more bodies filled the room and they drank, I could move the volume up as well.

The EV-50 even though it is smaller and lighter performed well in the large hall, which I might point out has the largest dance floor, in our area. This hall also has some of the best acoustics of any local venue, high ceiling sort of like a church. Again I kept the settings low, no one complained about the noise level, not surprising since sometimes local bands play there. In both cases I interfaced the mixer with the PC, I got many complements on how great the music sounded.

P.S. Something occurred to me the market seems to be saturated with karaoke, most of it bad. After evaluating both shows my take away was, why just do another karaoke show? The Moose has that big dance floor and in house special disco lighting they use for the bands. Since I like DJ better than KJ, why not just have a Friday Dance Party/ Dinner night? It worked at the VFW and there was no dance floor. By having to setup in their smaller lounge rather than their bigger hall I think I might have stumbled on to something.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

It's only different because you say it's different. I don't work to live, I have always been more of an artist than a businessman, yet I do both well. Now that I am in my twilight years I should be able to do what I want with my life, shouldn't I?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:05 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
sanj wrote:

With both speakers a little goes along way, the small lounge with the Bose I had the input volume from my laptop set at a mere 34%, I used my old Yamaha slider mixer, the slider on that was also set a 30, starting and gradually moving it up as the night progressed. At first some complained about the music being too high even at those low settings. As more bodies filled the room and they drank, I could move the volume up as well.

The EV-50 even though it is smaller and lighter performed well in the large hall, which I might point out has the largest dance floor, in our area. This hall also has some of the best acoustics of any local venue, high ceiling sort of like a church. Again I kept the settings low, no one complained about the noise level, not surprising since sometimes local bands play there. In both cases I interfaced the mixer with the PC, I got many complements on how great the music sounded.

P.S. Something occurred to me the market seems to be saturated with karaoke, most of it bad. After evaluating both shows my take away was, why just do another karaoke show? The Moose has that big dance floor and in house special disco lighting they use for the bands. Since I like DJ better than KJ, why not just have a Friday Disco Dinner night? It worked at the VFW and there was no dance floor. By having to setup in their smaller lounge rather than their bigger hall I think I might have stumbled on to something.

Thanks for the info. Which Bose are you using and I'm guessing no tone match mixer. Did you see a difference in set up between the 2? Again congrats on your successful return.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:52 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

sanj wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
sanj wrote:

Thanks for the info. Which Bose are you using and I'm guessing no tone match mixer. Did you see a difference in set up between the 2? Again congrats on your successful return.

Right no tone match mixer, this was all done by interfacing my pc with my old Yamaha mixer. I believe I have just the basic Bose, the L 1, with the bigger B-2, not B-1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:38 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
sanj wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
sanj wrote:

Right no tone match mixer, this was all done by interfacing my pc with my old Yamaha mixer. I believe I have just the basic Bose, the L 1, with the bigger B-2, not B-1.

I've got the original L1 with smaller sub B-1 Did you notice in a difference in set up between the Bose and EV Evolve systems?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next