KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - KJ's in the rotation POLL Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

When should the KJ be in the rotation?
NEVER 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Just to start the show 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
1-5 singers 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
5-10 singers 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
10-15 singers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ALWAYS 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
1. There was a night where, for the first two hours (likely due to events in town), the bar had me, one other singer, and the host. Had the host not sang, it would have just been me and the other guy, and I'd have left sooner because I'd have been tapped out quicker on the amount I was willing to sing.

If there was only one other singer besides yourself, then the host should be playing music in between. Maybe 20 minutes of music and then the two singers, then back to music... Depending on the venue it could be 80's, country, dance... whatever... but that is what the host needs to be doing. It's amazing how many hosts are so unprofessional.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan is just angry with me and will disagree with anything I post. Even if I said that the grass was green and the sky is blue, he would argue.

Actually, I do agree with this. The sky IS blue and the grass IS green. And I'm not angry with you. I don't get angry at anybody. You are a good guy. I'm just a little upset with you for not doing your part to help end the spread of the Delta Variant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:05 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan is just angry with me and will disagree with anything I post. Even if I said that the grass was green and the sky is blue, he would argue.

Actually, I do agree with this. The sky IS blue and the grass IS green. And I'm not angry with you. I don't get angry at anybody. You are a good guy. I'm just a little upset with you for not doing your part to help end the spread of the Delta Variant.

No hijacking of threads. Your statement has nothing to do with the thread that was started. Please try your best to stay focused Alan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
You need to get your priorities straight. Karaoke is about the people who came out to sing. They are the ones making the bar money. It's not about you and your ego. A host should never include himself/herself into the rotation.

Here's where I'll absolutely disagree, with everyone's favorite--anecdotal evidence!

There *absolutely* isn't a one-size-fits-all approach.

1. There was a night where, for the first two hours (likely due to events in town), the bar had me, one other singer, and the host. Had the host not sang, it would have just been me and the other guy, and I'd have left sooner because I'd have been tapped out quicker on the amount I was willing to sing. Had the actual crowd not arrived when they did, I would have definitely left.

2. Not everyone is ready to sing when the night gets started--there are people who need to get some of that "liquid courage" in. Now, me? I don't care at all--I start out most nights sober, at least. But in those cases, what's worse? Me singing all the songs until someone else gets their courage up? Me singing, followed by filler music? Or me and the host singing?

(again, my real preference is for the host to sing at the start of rotations so I have a touchstone for when the rotation starts again, and I'm good with the host singing, singing and pulling themselves out when it gets busy, or not singing at all)

Totally agree here. Add to the fact that any nonsingers might also leave because they are sick and tired of listening to the same two singers. Playing DJ music between rotations helps with that but you can only do so much of that before you alienate the singers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:
The times I've run a show, I did not include myself in the rotation, but that's just me. When I'm at a show as a singer, I usually don't mind if the KJ sings, but let's talk about the elephant in the room. It really does depend on how well the KJ sings. Some you want to hear. Some you don't. Unfortunately, if you're a KJ and you're not a good singer, the odds are, that you don't know it ;)

Which proves my contention that none of us really have an objective view of our singing skills. To be truthful my performance skills have improved since I stopped hosting. For me personally I like to stay focused on running the show when hosting. Now that I perform more I take more care in selecting songs suited to my range. Also I use a program called Karaoke Surgeon to customize my discs so the host doesn't have to make any adjustments, just feed the disc. For those with just PC no disc playing ability, I have songs I know I can sing off the rack, no adjustments.

I do. There was a time that a host actually sang all night with no singers. I have only experienced one night like this and would have had at least 2 singers if they weren't having such a good time listening to me sing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
My voice wouldn't hold up all evening, after all I'm now 75 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
My voice wouldn't hold up all evening, after all I'm now 75 years old.

By the end of the night I had no voice left. Too many high noted songs back when I could hit the go note in here I go again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Alan B wrote:
If there was only one other singer besides yourself, then the host should be playing music in between. Maybe 20 minutes of music and then the two singers, then back to music... Depending on the venue it could be 80's, country, dance... whatever... but that is what the host needs to be doing. It's amazing how many hosts are so unprofessional.

Maybe I wasn't clear... there literally was the host, myself, and the other guy (and the bartender). That was it--it wasn't just a lack of singers, it was a lack of patrons due to whatever was going on that night. And he checked with us throughout--"you guys want to go again or take a break?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:10 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
1. There was a night where, for the first two hours (likely due to events in town), the bar had me, one other singer, and the host. Had the host not sang, it would have just been me and the other guy, and I'd have left sooner because I'd have been tapped out quicker on the amount I was willing to sing.

If I went to a show as a singer and this happened, i'd probably leave. I don't go to karaoke to listen to dj music. I want to sing and listen to other singers be it me and another or 20 others.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:

If I went to a show as a singer and this happened, i'd probably leave. I don't go to karaoke to listen to dj music. I want to sing and listen to other singers be it me and another or 20 others.

If you were at a bar with 20 other singers, your average wait time to sing would be around once per hour. So, with playing filler music in between, for only 2 singers, you're going to sing every 20 minutes. So you're ahead of the game. Under these circumstances, You HAVE to play music. You just can't have two people keep singing back to back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:

If you were at a bar with 20 other singers, your average wait time to sing would be around once per hour. So, with playing filler music in between, for only 2 singers, you're going to sing every 20 minutes. So you're ahead of the game. Under these circumstances, You HAVE to play music. You just can't have two people keep singing back to back.

Absolutely agree with Alan on this one. I'd even break my rotation,three DJ songs, rotation rule in the 2 singers scenario. Even I as a host might bow out of the rotation after a certain amount of rotations and ad another dj song in my place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
The law according to Alan: You need to get your priorities straight. Karaoke is about the people who came out to sing. They are the ones making the bar money. It's not about you and your ego. A host should never include himself/herself into the rotation.

What a crock of doo-doo.

I'm so tired of Alan's self-appointed karaoke expert pronouncements... Whether it's "Contests are always fixed" or "Hosts should never sing." I'd laugh if he wasn't so pathetic.

Alan I've been hosting very, repeat VERY successful contests and karaoke shows for over 17 years... I can't remember the last time we've had less than 25+ singers in the rotation, and I sing at the end of almost every rotation.

If you want to express an opinion, that's one thing... I have no problem listening to (or reading) your opinion. BUT don't try to tell me that how I run my shows is WRONG just because it's not the way you run yours. I find those type of pronouncements highly offensive.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
In the past I would always include myself/co-host to start a new round, but have had a change of heart and now focus on the singers. If there are too few singers to sustain a decent rotation i play a couple of dance tracks between the karaoke and encourage new singers to sign up. At the end of the day, as much as I enjoy karaoke, I am paid to get venue patrons to take part, not sing and fill up the rotation, if they wanted that they should hire a soloist or band IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Yep if only 2 singers, then guess what, they sing. If I have zero singers is the 1 and only time I'll play regular music until someone wants to sing, then the music fades out and they sing.
Same when I go as a singer, I want to sing and listen to singers, not dj music

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Buster79 wrote:
In the past I would always include myself/co-host to start a new round, but have had a change of heart and now focus on the singers. If there are too few singers to sustain a decent rotation i play a couple of dance tracks between the karaoke and encourage new singers to sign up. At the end of the day, as much as I enjoy karaoke, I am paid to get venue patrons to take part, not sing and fill up the rotation, if they wanted that they should hire a soloist or band IMHO.

Bravo! You are exactly right!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Alan I've been hosting very, repeat VERY successful contests and karaoke shows for over 17 years... I can't remember the last time we've had less than 25+ singers in the rotation, and I sing at the end of almost every rotation.

And you should be ashamed of yourself. The question is: Why would a host, with that many singers, include themselves into the rotation, robbing singers of valuable singing time? My OPINION is that your ego is more important than your singers.
Earl wrote:

If you want to express an opinion, that's one thing... I have no problem listening to (or reading) your opinion. BUT don't try to tell me that how I run my shows is WRONG just because it's not the way you run yours. I find those type of pronouncements highly offensive.

I would never go to a show where the host, especially with that many singers, includes themselves into the rotation. By doing so, shows me that you are not a true professional. If you were, you would make it about your customers and get them singing as much as possible, not taking time away from them because of your ego. Of course, this is just my OPINION.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:08 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Man. A KJ in the rotation argument. It feels good to discuss, well, karaoke on the board again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
Man. A KJ in the rotation argument. It feels good to discuss, well, karaoke on the board again.

Yes. But we've had this discussion many times before. Most KJ's that I've talked to agree with me and do not include themselves into the rotation. It's just wrong.

I know of one place that actually has two hosts running the show. And they both include themselves in every rotation. Which means at the end of the night, you've stopped a lot of people from getting another chance to sing again because of their selfishness and unprofessionalism. Do you think that's fair?

A hosts job is to host the show. Nothing more. If you went to McDonalds to eat, the servers job is to serve you the food, not to eat it too.

Look, in all of my years of hosting, I've talked to a lot of singers and non singers alike about whether a host should include themselves into the rotation. The overwhelming majority say NO. They don't like it. However many don't have a problem with it if there is only a few singers for the night but for any sizable rotation, they are against it.

I stand behind what I've always said...

Any host who includes themselves into any sizable rotation is selfish and on an ego trip. People came out to sing, karaoke is about them--- not you! Wake up and start doing the job that you're being paid to do and go sing all you want at someone else's show on your day off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:

Yes. But we've had this discussion many times before. Most KJ's that I've talked to agree with me and do not include themselves into the rotation. It's just wrong.

I know of one place that actually has two hosts running the show. And they both include themselves in every rotation. Which means at the end of the night, you've stopped a lot of people from getting another chance to sing again because of their selfishness and unprofessionalism. Do you think that's fair?

A hosts job is to host the show. Nothing more. If you went to McDonalds to eat, the servers job is to serve you the food, not to eat it too.

Look, in all of my years of hosting, I've talked to a lot of singers and non singers alike about whether a host should include themselves into the rotation. The overwhelming majority say NO. They don't like it. However many don't have a problem with it if there is only a few singers for the night but for any sizable rotation, they are against it.

I stand behind what I've always said...

Any host who includes themselves into any sizable rotation is selfish and on an ego trip. People came out to sing, karaoke is about them--- not you! Wake up and start doing the job that you're being paid to do and go sing all you want at someone else's show on your day off.

I can agree with not singing if you have a good number of singers but not singing at all is totally stupid. You should never let your first singer be your quinoa pig for setting the levels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
You should never let your first singer be your quinoa pig for setting the levels.
Setting your "levels" is not something you do one time. Every singer is different. And every singer needs to be properly EQ'd so they can sound their best. This includes Mic Gain, Volume, Highs, Mids, Lows, Reverb, etc. There is no "set it and forget it" Your excuse is rather lame. My first singer will sound as good as my last. And if you have regulars, you should already know what settings work best for their voice when they come up. Other singers will be adjusted on the fly. So, if you're good... you don't need a guinea pig... or in your case QUINOA PIGS. LOL.