KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - videotaping your karaoke singers Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
what are your thoughts on videotaping your karaoke singers?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

i myself am not too crazy about being videotaped by folks if/when i sing.
but i do videotape my karaoke singers from time to time

now looking back at about 10 years of my random videos of karaoke singers, i noticed:
i didn't videotape my iconic singers / or my loyalist regulars
if i did, by chance, i didn't videotape them singing their iconic, signature / regular song

can anyone relate?

i'm just realizing this today
a shame; i don't have any videos of my iconic / regular singers who passed away, either

i noticed that i tend to videotape strangers--if their performance "surprised me"
like they broke into choreography or their singing was especially unique

i dunno why, but i'd feel weird (i think) to videotape some of my iconic / regular singers...
i feel like i'm more comfortable taping one-hit-strangers over my regulars

can anyone relate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:32 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

lemme add: it's crazy weird if i'm on facebook or instagram and i catch a video of one of my iconic / regular karaoke singers performing their signature song at my karaoke night, but the video was taped by someone else, not me, yet i'm watching it on facebook and thinking to myself: 'damn, i've known this singer XX years, and i don't have ONE video of them, at all, singing anything." SMH

but i get it.

even if i wanted to tape them singing their signature song, i'd BET that i'd be thinking to myself as i'm taping them (i've heard them sing this BETTER, before...). i guess that's why i never taped them

but this pandemic while we were all on hiatus and not working, made me look over my karaoke videotapes and realize that my collection is missing so much iconic stuff. i hear these signature songs so much over the years but it's really never crossed my mind to tape them perform it. really. never.

so damn weird. i'll have to work on that...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Yeah, great points.

I've always done little snapchat stories on karaoke nights just to give people not there a glimpse into where I am and what I'm doing--especially while travelling--but I've known people who are gone now and have no videos to go back to for that.

The stuff you record--are you using your phone or an actual camera? Depending on what phone I am using at the time, I get big swings in audio quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:13 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Product 19 wrote:
what are your thoughts on videotaping your karaoke singers?

Not a bad idea, but the main thing is that the performance is either very good or really funny. Well, so that the visitor himself does not mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
I just found out that the local Moose Lodge has someone on Taco Tuesday video taping all of the performances. The video then is put on a local streaming news site, so it is a live performance, you can see on your computer at home.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
Yeah, great points.

I've always done little snapchat stories on karaoke nights just to give people not there a glimpse into where I am and what I'm doing--especially while travelling--but I've known people who are gone now and have no videos to go back to for that.

The stuff you record--are you using your phone or an actual camera? Depending on what phone I am using at the time, I get big swings in audio quality.

Get your host to invest in an elephant ears receiver. I'll find a link for it and get back to you. it's a wireless solution to get better quality videos because the transmitter is plugged into the mixer. https://elephant-ears-sound.myshopify.com/ Best $40 I spent.

Last edited by DannyG2006 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
Your job is to create the show and worry about how they sound. Otherwise, you're not a KJ. You're a videographer. Karaoke is a live performance. Not an afterthought to watch later, unless you came to the show with the singer, in which case, they are clearly comfortable with you witnessing their performance or recording it for later. If the singer didn't invite you to the show, how do you feel like you have the right to record them? Just because you're the KJ? That's quite an intrusion on their privacy, don't you think? It's kinda creepy that you have a desire to record singers without their consent. Some singers don't like to be recorded. I'm not saying to make everyone sign some sort of waiver, because that too would also ruin the relaxing mood that should exist.

Pick a job and go with it, but if you're recording video, don't call yourself a KJ. If you're doing your job correctly, you should be using your ears more than your eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
Your job is to create the show and worry about how they sound. Otherwise, you're not a KJ. You're a videographer. Karaoke is a live performance. Not an afterthought to watch later, unless you came to the show with the singer, in which case, they are clearly comfortable with you witnessing their performance or recording it for later. If the singer didn't invite you to the show, how do you feel like you have the right to record them? Just because you're the KJ? That's quite an intrusion on their privacy, don't you think? It's kinda creepy that you have a desire to record singers without their consent. Some singers don't like to be recorded. I'm not saying to make everyone sign some sort of waiver, because that too would also ruin the relaxing mood that should exist.

Pick a job and go with it, but if you're recording video, don't call yourself a KJ. If you're doing your job correctly, you should be using your ears more than your eyes.

It can actually be good advertising for your show over social media so having someone else to handle the video part would benefit the venue and yourself. I don't do it myself at my shows because I can't afford to pay someone to do it and I have enough that I have to do to worry about adding it to my duties. Get someone working for the venue to do it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:49 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Get your host to invest in an elephant ears receiver. I'll find a link for it and get back to you. it's a wireless solution to get better quality videos because the transmitter is plugged into the mixer. https://elephant-ears-sound.myshopify.com/ Best $40 I spent.

Does it also capture crowd noise? When I'm getting stuff, I want that included too, but not at the expense of the overall video.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Does it also capture crowd noise? When I'm getting stuff, I want that included too, but not at the expense of the overall video.
If your mics are right near the crowd, then yes it will pick up some (depending on the pickup pattern of the mic). Otherwise it basically taps into the record out of your mixer so it's recording basically the same mix you are putting through the mixer. It's also a way to determine how bad or good of a job you do lol, too much of this, not enough of that, effects overpowering etc.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

I believe it could. The device is versitile as heck. Can be used to even take the place of a full system if you have enough receivers to go around. Even do a silent disco. It has a mic built into it and if you use two transmitter, one from say your laptop and the other one connected to the receiver with the mic, if everyone has their receivers tuned to the mic receiver transmitter they'll hear what is coming from that receiver. I intend to use mine for a singer in ear monitor for helping me adjust the mix between the music and the mics on my system, at least that's my plan. I actually have 2 of these units so while I am working the system someone who is working the venue can use the other one for video taping or social media posts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
It can actually be good advertising for your show over social media so having someone else to handle the video part would benefit the venue and yourself.

I disagree. You're not considering the singers, and those are the folks you should want to attract to your shows. Using a performance on facebook in front of internet users who can (and will) pick it apart to shreds, maybe isn't a good idea. You're a KJ so you probably don't get the fact that most people are self conscious, especially once they sober up. Knowing you're singing for a drunken crowd is a LOT different than knowing you're singing to a sober audience of possible Facebook trolls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
It can actually be good advertising for your show over social media so having someone else to handle the video part would benefit the venue and yourself.

I disagree. You're not considering the singers, and those are the folks you should want to attract to your shows. Using a performance on facebook in front of internet users who can (and will) pick it apart to shreds, maybe isn't a good idea. You're a KJ so you probably don't get the fact that most people are self conscious, especially once they sober up. Knowing you're singing for a drunken crowd is a LOT different than knowing you're singing to a sober audience of possible Facebook trolls.

The whole idea is to show people having a good time. If I were to implement it, I would make sure that the singer was ok and do a thumbs up to the person who is working the camera that it's ok to tape. I would also tell the cameraman to catch the audience to show them enjoying themselves so that the video would entice people wanting somewhere to go to have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:23 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
The whole idea is to show people having a good time. If I were to implement it, I would make sure that the singer was ok and do a thumbs up to the person who is working the camera that it's ok to tape. I would also tell the cameraman to catch the audience to show them enjoying themselves so that the video would entice people wanting somewhere to go to have fun.

As an idea--instead of doing live streams, put together a well-edited video that you can use as an advertisement of sorts? Key moments from great performances, a happy engaged crowd, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Before I have to go back to wearing a mask, I'm thinking about going to the Moose Lodge tonight, for the news pod video taping of tonight's performances, I might even do one or two, since the KJ is a personal friend,and considers me his mentor. I feel if people don't like what they see, they can always shut off their computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

As an idea--instead of doing live streams, put together a well-edited video that you can use as an advertisement of sorts? Key moments from great performances, a happy engaged crowd, etc?

The idea is good. Live recordings are great karaoke ads. Putting some kind of outside screensavers is not as attractive as live advertising done correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Great for after the fact. The live streams might just entice someone who is watching to come down and join in.