KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Benefits of post-corona karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Surely the post-covid world isn't all bad news for karaoke. What might the karaoke enthusiasts of the world have to look forward to?

Shorter singing lines! Maybe a good number of people will be too afraid to even touch a karaoke mic. I love it when the bar is packed but there's only a few singers.

Less old people! This helps the singer count, and I've heard a KJ in my area complain about large groups of old people just ordering tea and refills instead of running up a large alcohol tab. You better self-isolate at home until that vaccine's ready, grandpa, it's too dangerous for you now.

Digital sign up! More KJs allowing digital/text message sign ups, so I don't have to wait in line behind some drunken idiot who can't remember the name of the song he wants to do.

What other exciting karaoke benefits might we look forward to in a post-corona world?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Welcome to this forum Zeke. You're obviously a karaoke expert, so it's nice to have your input, especially regarding those elderly folks who really should stay home and stop wasting the important singers' valuable time.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Earl wrote:
Welcome to this forum Zeke. You're obviously a karaoke expert, so it's nice to have your input, especially regarding those elderly folks who really should stay home and stop wasting the important singers' valuable time.
Right?
Shorter singer line means less people putting money in the till
Less old people? Don't know where you are but I know 'old' people that spend more than a small table of 'young' people sharing a couple pitcher of beers between them.
Digital sign up is a kj choice - not a 'benefit'. I will continue to use slips, but no more physical books for a while (again many still prefer a physical book believe it or not), they can look up on their phone for the time being.
Not seeing ANY 'benefit' of Corona and it's aftermath. I know bars that are dropping karaoke altogether (along with other forms of shared entertainment). I know bars that have offered their kj's half of what they were making because they will be limited in the occupancy. I know kj's that do not want to go back to work so soon but are afraid of losing their gig if they don't. Kj's are going to have to be more diligent in mic cleaning after every singer (this one is the only possible 'benefit')

Where is the 'benefit' of which you speak?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
zeke wrote:
Surely the post-covid world isn't all bad news for karaoke.

You wanna bet?

First of all, karaoke is meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. That means young and old. We don't discriminate.

Secondly, if less people are going out for karaoke, and it becomes less profitable, bars will do away with it altogether. And that means the KJ will be out of a job.

So, how is all of this a benefit? The way I see it is that "Post Covid Karaoke" will hurt singers, the KJ's and the bar owners.

With that said, you sir, are an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Well to address the elephant in this discussion.
Zeke's post clearly illuminates the fact that Zeke is a complete imbecil.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Touchy bunch.

Look, I get it. It's certainly a rough time to be a KJ, DJ, or service industry worker. That said, I personally don't believe the doom and gloom mentality about this whole thing is going to last too much longer. I was out at several karaoke shows after it was recommended you stay home, but days before it was a stay-at-home order. I know, shame on me. But while it was not quite as busy as usual, there were plenty of people there, enough to justify a bar owner paying for someone to host a karaoke show. This was when coronavirus was a new, terrifying and unknown thing, and the death rates were projected to be much much higher.

If karaoke was opened tomorrow I'm sure there would be plenty of people attending most of the shows I go to, but right now nobody is allowed to. The longer quarantine has gone on, the less seriously people seem to be taking it around here. Americans don't like being told what to do, and frankly, if everyone who wanted to take the risk of going to a karaoke show was actually allowed to, I'm sure the hobby would still be alive and well. The will is there, plenty of people are willing to take the risk. Look at the spring break beaches. Look at Luke Bryan's karaoke bar in Florida: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... dates.html

Certainly there are going to be some drawbacks in this post-corona world, I never suggested otherwise. But you must remember that there are always unintended consequences and sometimes a silver lining can be found if you keep a positive attitude.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
RLC wrote:
Well to address the elephant in this discussion.
Zeke's post clearly illuminates the fact that Zeke is a complete imbecil.

Well, now that you scared him off,,,, who is next? :shock:
:wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:51 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Guess not!! He didn't scare so easily,,,, just as I was posting,, so was he :D

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
zeke wrote:
Surely the post-covid world isn't all bad news for karaoke.

You wanna bet?

First of all, karaoke is meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages. That means young and old. We don't discriminate.

Remember that one Alan when a bad singer shows up at your show.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:roll: Unfortunately guys the singers who will show up are one's like Zeke, youngsters that think they are bullet proof, because they are young. It will be interesting to see how many survive as opposed to older singers who stayed home? Come next spring I wonder how many will still be here? This is the type of patron you will be depending on Mr.Scott to restart your show, unless you have older dare devils out there?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:39 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Depends on how you define "old", but the death rate for 50-59 year olds where I live is 1.49%, and that's after taking into account that covid-19 seems to be much more dangerous to people with pre-existing health conditions, including obesity, and the stats do not include people who never knew they had it, which is apparently a significant number of people. The death rate for 30-39 year olds is only .2% here.

Look, there's a lot of negativity on this forum, and I'm trying to help you look on the brighter side of things. (That's a reference to a song old people might remember.) Looking at it another way, you can go to karaoke and have a 98+% chance of living through the experience, along with many other exciting post-covid benefits:
    - less singers
    - masks on ugly people
    - the mics might actually get cleaned now
    - "Picture" banned due to health risks (hopefully)

If you want to continue to lock yourself inside until you can take a vaccine with unknown long-term health effects, go for it. I and many others will be at karaoke as soon as it re-opens.

Last edited by zeke on Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:!: The economic dynamics of Karaoke hosting will not change anytime soon Lonman is right about that. It will be a very long time before a karaoke show will be done in the old free wheeling manner. The new abnormal will become the reality, at least until a vaccine is found. The purpose of a show is to draw a crowd, drawing a crowd now would be very bad for everyone, especially our industry which should be doing everything possible to keep patrons young and old safe. To do anything else would be against the public good, and totally irresponsible on the part of the host.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
zeke wrote:
many other exciting post-covid benefits:
    - less singers
    - masks on ugly people
    - the mics might actually get cleaned now

It's really sad how you look at things. Having less singers is NOT a benefit. At least not for the bar and the KJ. And is that how you see the use of masks, as a covering to hide ugly people's faces? And as far as keeping the mics clean, it's something I have always done.

You are everything that's wrong with this world. With your attitude, I would not want you at one of my shows. So, here's what I suggest...

Go to Walmart, and buy yourself a little karaoke machine and invite your friends over to play. But stay out of the bars, your kind isn't welcome there.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Let's look a the REAL elephant in the room . . . The real, lasting economic devastation from all this BS has not even begun to be felt yet.
Once the stock market blows up(and it will) we will have a worse depression than we had in 1929.

Buckle your seat belts . . . It's gonna be an interesting ride.
I don't think the way the local karaoke show is run will be anywhere near the top of the list of concern for too many people.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Alan B wrote:
It's really sad how you look at things. Having less singers is NOT a benefit. At least not for the bar and the KJ. And is that how you see the use of masks, as a covering to hide ugly people's faces? And as far as keeping the mics clean, it's something I have always done.

I'm with you, Alan. I never got the thing of "I want to sing all night, so I want fewer karaoke singers, but a bigger audience of non-singers."

Dude... just start performing music, in that case. Anyone who wants that kind of karaoke experience doesn't really want a karaoke experience.

zeke wrote:
- "Picture" banned due to health risks (hopefully)

...ok, this I can get behind.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:31 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
I'm with you, Alan. I never got the thing of "I want to sing all night, so I want fewer karaoke singers, but a bigger audience of non-singers."

Dude... just start performing music, in that case. Anyone who wants that kind of karaoke experience doesn't really want a karaoke experience.

There's a big difference between a karaoke show with 10 singers, and a karaoke show with a 40+ singer rotation. KJs love a huge rotation, it makes them and the bar more money, I get that. But not everybody wants to wait 2 hours between songs. That's a lot of waiting for 3 minutes of singing. Nothing wrong with having that preference and going to shows with less singers. I know a lot of karaoke singers that take that into account when deciding where to go. Smaller karaoke shows need love too.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
zeke wrote:
Quote:

There's a big difference between a karaoke show with 10 singers, and a karaoke show with a 40+ singer rotation. KJs love a huge rotation, it makes them and the bar more money, I get that. But not everybody wants to wait 2 hours between songs. That's a lot of waiting for 3 minutes of singing. Nothing wrong with having that preference and going to shows with less singers. I know a lot of karaoke singers that take that into account when deciding where to go. Smaller karaoke shows need love too.

I get that, but, really, how many shows out there are shows with small rotations and a fun, packed bar filled with drinkers who are not singers or with singers?

I currently live in a relatively small college town. By and large, the two karaoke nights at the main place that has karaoke will have a 10-20 singer rotation, tops, but the total patronage of the bar probably only tops at 35 for the night. I've never seen a spot with a 10-20 singer rotation but a bar with 150+ people. Maybe it exists out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
The problem with a small rotation, the venue can take the attitude of why did I hire you when I can get this with just the jukebox. A larger number of singers, if they are drinking and spending money, can make a show last while a smaller number of singers could cost the host the show.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:02 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
I've never seen a spot with a 10-20 singer rotation but a bar with 150+ people. Maybe it exists out there.

I never suggested that there were 10 times as many people in the bar as singers, that would be great but it's probably not very common. I've been in a few situations like that but they were rare. A more realistic ratio is maybe half of the people in the bar are singing and half aren't.

Quote:
The problem with a small rotation, the venue can take the attitude of why did I hire you when I can get this with just the jukebox. A larger number of singers, if they are drinking and spending money, can make a show last while a smaller number of singers could cost the host the show.

There are a ton of shows around here, pre-covid, with smaller rotations. Many of them have been running for years. I'm glad not every karaoke show has to have a huge number of singers for the bar owners to see the value and be able to make money.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:53 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I realize many of you are seeped in negativity, especially when you are being told your livelihoods are in danger of being permanently cancelled and if it ever returns you'll have to start worrying about keeping microphones sanitary and policing drunken people into respecting social distancing rules, on top of the usual headaches that come with running a show. That sucks! But after coronavirus ravages the obese, the immuno-compromised, the elder populations, and the death and pestilence we all know is coming decimates our friends and families... perhaps a day will come when we all dry our tears of lamentation, reach herd immunity, put aside our fear, and smile as we behold a brand new karaoke world with some surprising benefits, such as...

No more paper song books. These things are filthy, out of date from what's actually in the KJ's library, and take up a lot of space. Online catalogs are not that hard to do technically, and yet most KJs don't seem to do them, and if they do they usually suck (thinking Songbooks Online). Perhaps in a post-corona world, online catalog solutions may be in much more in demand and the quality of these solutions should go up as the grime-covered binder full of songs goes digital.

I suppose I don't need to come up with more since everybody is this forum is so depressed and negative. As for me, I look forward to a new Karaoke Golden Age, just around the corner, and if some of you survive maybe you'll get to experience it too..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next