KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Musicians VS Karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:19 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 263
Images: 3
Location: Salina,KS
Been Liked: 9 times
It is amazing to be how many so call musicians hate karaoke..I do agree that there are some bad and really bad singers that do karaoke..but at the same time I have heard some great singers as well. Now I also know ALOT musicians who can not sing or will not depending..so where do they get off judging someone...anyone can learn to play drums...guitar...piano...ect....vocals are something you have or you dont..its that simple...plus Ive met alot of musicians who CANT even read music.
Karaoke has never been for the professional singer...its for people who want to sing regardless of how they sound good or bad...Music is the one the that we all have in common..we love music.
All Im saying is both Musicians and Karaoke both have the advantages and disadvantages as well


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:04 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4111
Been Liked: 964 times
GK Productions wrote:
I do agree that there are some bad and really bad singers that do karaoke..

...and this is what gives karaoke a bad name. Since there are usually more bad singers than good singers, the non singing patrons of the bar don't like it. They don't want to listen to the whiners, screamers, and people who can't sing worth a lick. I've seen people leave the bar because they could not tolerate it. Now, although karaoke is supposed to be about having fun... it's not much fun for the non singing patrons who have to listen to it.

Fortunately for me, I usually have more good singers than bad. Some are star quality. But when that's not the case, I've been instructed by the bar owners, to interject some dance music. So, if I have 2 or 3 bad singers in a row, I'll break it up by playing an upbeat dance tune next. This seems to please everyone in the bar.

Remember, we are hired to bring in customers and keep them coming back so the bar can make money. We don't want anyone leaving... so sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:32 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 5153
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 347 times
I can count on my hand the number of bad singers that I have had and they are usually the ones that don't return. I believe that despite all of us being welcoming to all singers that the ones who don't return is just because they feel like they don't belong because of all of the good singers.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:46 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22917
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 2106 times
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:08 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 263
Images: 3
Location: Salina,KS
Been Liked: 9 times
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.

I can agree with that


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 250
Been Liked: 93 times
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:25 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 5153
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 347 times
sanj wrote:
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!

And they get more entertainment value, real and comically, for the buck because even if the host takes a DJ break the entertainment is constant while there's down time with a band from the real entertainment.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:18 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 263
Images: 3
Location: Salina,KS
Been Liked: 9 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
sanj wrote:
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!

And they get more entertainment value, real and comically, for the buck because even if the host takes a DJ break the entertainment is constant while there's down time with a band from the real entertainment.

Good Point


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4111
Been Liked: 964 times
GK Productions wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
sanj wrote:
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!

And they get more entertainment value, real and comically, for the buck because even if the host takes a DJ break the entertainment is constant while there's down time with a band from the real entertainment.

Good Point

Even though a band costs more, a good band (with a following) can bring in a lot more money for the bar than a karaoke night.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:38 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 263
Images: 3
Location: Salina,KS
Been Liked: 9 times
Alan B wrote:
GK Productions wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
sanj wrote:
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!

And they get more entertainment value, real and comically, for the buck because even if the host takes a DJ break the entertainment is constant while there's down time with a band from the real entertainment.

Good Point

Even though a band costs more, a good band (with a following) can bring in a lot more money for the bar than a karaoke night.

that all depends if the bar is charging a cover charge for the band..which alot of the times they will for bands ...but...for karaoke they wont.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:09 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22917
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 2106 times
Alan B wrote:
GK Productions wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
sanj wrote:
Lonman wrote:
It's more about the fact that karaoke often replaces what were band nights because they can basically get entertainment cheap, thus replacing bands that can cost the venue up to 3-4x more. That is where the hate for karaoke from musicians come from.


Lonman You are correct... Takes away from the crowd that would possibly be listening to Live Music... and yes it's less costly to the bars!!

And they get more entertainment value, real and comically, for the buck because even if the host takes a DJ break the entertainment is constant while there's down time with a band from the real entertainment.

Good Point

Even though a band costs more, a good band (with a following) can bring in a lot more money for the bar than a karaoke night.
Right, however 'good' bands are not cheap to begin with and are usually not as readily available on a weekly basis - which would also lose some of their desire if they were playing in the same place night after night. Cheaper bands that aren't as good, don't draw the crowds sometimes costing the bar money because there is no desire to see them, bar still has to pay but may not make it back up in cover fees - for which lesser known bands, bars tend to charge less cover because they know they won't be a huge crowd. Sure they usually have their own little niche following but typically not enough to make it worth anything. Karaoke can (and does) come in cheaper, is consistent even week after week in the same place. This can be the lure because singers always know where to go.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:54 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 263
Images: 3
Location: Salina,KS
Been Liked: 9 times
Totally Agree


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:55 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 469
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 128 times
Lonman wrote:
Karaoke can (and does) come in cheaper, is consistent even week after week in the same place. This can be the lure because singers always know where to go.

That was my lure as a singer. In fact, if it weren't such a regular thing at the local bars, I wouldn't have been able to get to know the local KJs so well and eventually make apps to make their jobs easier. If they were only random gigs here and there, I never could have got to know them so well. It also made me realize when it came time to make a decision about whether making software for karaoke would be a viably profitable business, I remember thinking about all the pros and cons of it, and I came to a lot of the same conclusions Lonman did.

Karaoke is just one of those rare things that is very balanced when it comes to keeping everyone happy. It makes KJs happier than DJs or Bands because it's not all about them and it's more consistent work. It makes venues happier about the crowd type and the consistency. KJs also tend not to have the egos that Bands and DJs have. It makes the crowds happier because they get a variety of music, AND get to participate! Who wouldn't love that?

There's really nothing bad to say about karaoke. Even if someone thought there were, they would be crazy to say it on this forum. :)


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am 
Offline
newbie
newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 am
Posts: 2
Been Liked: 0 time
I have a friend who is a professional musician. I try to bring him to karaoke because we both like to sing, but he doesn't have a very good time because he can't stand "bad" singers. He can't appreciate the "just have fun" aspect of karaoke night. I actually really enjoy a lot of the amateur singers at karaoke, I think it's entertaining to watch someone with a "bad" voice singing. As long as they are trying and having fun, I think it's great entertainment. Some of my favorite singers to watch are the worst ones. I like the mix of different voices you hear in a night at karaoke, and the variety of songs people pick. The spontaneity of drunk people stepping out of their comfort zone. He just doesn't understand that though.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:29 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am
Posts: 407
Been Liked: 242 times
It's all good. As a musician I saw the decline in live entertainment. The markets for entertainment changed. Toward the end of my career, I was doing a solo act and had deals with Pub 99s, Ground Rounds and various independent clubs. I had a very good following that started to decline. It wasn't just me, but my peers were also experiencing declines in their shows as well.

One night I walked in one of the bigger Ground Rounds, and was about to set up when the manager approached me and informed me that the Ground Rounds were "86ing" the entertainment in all stores. That hurt, but many of the smaller venues were starting to follow suit. The fact that some of these venues later on started karaoke nights really had nothing to do with musicians having to compete with karaoke hosts. It's ALWAYS about the marketing. It's about supply and demand and often times the demand was for karaoke. Unfortunately there are many musicians that don't see it this way and blame the KJs for encroaching on their gigs but that's not the case. People just wanted something different that a karaoke show offered. The same can happen with karaoke shows. People can get sick of them then the next entetainment craze will replace them, and so on and so forth and scooby dooby do. :shock:


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:11 am 
Online
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2076
Been Liked: 229 times
Bastiat wrote:
It's all good. As a musician I saw the decline in live entertainment. The markets for entertainment changed. Toward the end of my career, I was doing a solo act and had deals with Pub 99s, Ground Rounds and various independent clubs. I had a very good following that started to decline. It wasn't just me, but my peers were also experiencing declines in their shows as well.

One night I walked in one of the bigger Ground Rounds, and was about to set up when the manager approached me and informed me that the Ground Rounds were "86ing" the entertainment in all stores. That hurt, but many of the smaller venues were starting to follow suit. The fact that some of these venues later on started karaoke nights really had nothing to do with musicians having to compete with karaoke hosts. It's ALWAYS about the marketing. It's about supply and demand and often times the demand was for karaoke. Unfortunately there are many musicians that don't see it this way and blame the KJs for encroaching on their gigs but that's not the case. People just wanted something different that a karaoke show offered. The same can happen with karaoke shows. People can get sick of them then the next entetainment craze will replace them, and so on and so forth and scooby dooby do. :shock:


Thanks Bastiat for your insight. I have to agree with you as well. I may not be a "musician", but I see the trends of what entertainment has made over the last 40 years for me. First off, bars here are fewer and fewer each year. New laws, regulations and fees make it even more difficult for a bar to be profitable. Then you add the changes in the types of clientele that frequent their establishments, and the attitudes and demands of the customers has changed drastically over the years. Bars that are still in business (new bars apply here as well) that used to have live bands, instead now offer other draws for their customers. That may include karaoke, internet gaming, craft nights, etc. But rarely do you see venues any more that have live bands. But when you do find them, the bands are high quality, popular bands that draw huge crowds. Ticket/door charges are usually increased as well. But, the smaller, less known bands - no matter how good - usually do not get booked that much. The bars just cannot justify the costs of a band to what revenue they generate. Even karaoke these days does not draw the crowds that it once did. It's still steady, but not necessarily "growing" ,,,well at least around here (some places may be different). But just like live bands have not completely disappeared, karaoke will also not totally disappear. Adapt or die is the name of the game.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:35 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4111
Been Liked: 964 times
mrscott wrote:
First off, bars here are fewer and fewer each year. New laws, regulations and fees make it even more difficult for a bar to be profitable.

My dear little mrscott... How are you doing? How's life treating you?

Now, that we have the formality out of the way, lets get back to your comment quoted above.

I would guess that the reason why bars in your state are fewer and fewer each year is a result of idiocy. Yes, unfortunately, the people going to these bars are idiots and are driving them out of business.

Now, as far as the difficulty of bars making profits...

If you're so concerned and want to help the bar have a profitable night, why don't you offer your karaoke services at a very reduced rate? Maybe something like $25 for the night. I'm sure this would be agreeable with the bar owner.

According to you, at the rate things are going... in a few years, there won't be any bars at all in your state. At least, not as you know them. So sad.

I think you should look into another line of work. Maybe a ride operator at the Lagoon Amusement Park might work for you. Because clearly, based on your predictions, it's just a matter of time before karaoke is totally dead at your venues.

Anyway, I wish you all the best. May you have the most beautiful day.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 am 
Online
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2076
Been Liked: 229 times
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
First off, bars here are fewer and fewer each year. New laws, regulations and fees make it even more difficult for a bar to be profitable.

My dear little mrscott... How are you doing? How's life treating you?

Now, that we have the formality out of the way, lets get back to your comment quoted above.

I would guess that the reason why bars in your state are fewer and fewer each year is a result of idiocy. Yes, unfortunately, the people going to these bars are idiots and are driving them out of business.

Now, as far as the difficulty of bars making profits...

If you're so concerned and want to help the bar have a profitable night, why don't you offer your karaoke services at a very reduced rate? Maybe something like $25 for the night. I'm sure this would be agreeable with the bar owner.

According to you, at the rate things are going... in a few years, there won't be any bars at all in your state. At least, not as you know them. So sad.

I think you should look into another line of work. Maybe a ride operator at the Lagoon Amusement Park might work for you. Because clearly, based on your predictions, it's just a matter of time before karaoke is totally dead at your venues.

Anyway, I wish you all the best. May you have the most beautiful day.


So, Alan, since you are sooooo knowledgeable about life here in Utah, and you think you are qualified to make such comments, why don't you move here and show us how it's done. I mean, you can charge your $25 per show, since that is all you are worth. The bars will thank you and tell you to pack your things and move along because they would be over paying you.

I will now return to my day job of being a valued employee and actually make a difference in people's lives. I am so sorry you cannot say the same thing, it must be horrible having to live with what little knowledge you possess. Have an amazing day at being so lonely that you feel you have to bring others down to your level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:43 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4111
Been Liked: 964 times
mrscott wrote:

I will now return to my day job of being a valued Walmart employee and actually make a difference in people's lives.

I feel sorry for you. I know it was hard being duped by that con man that you supported in the White House but that's all over now. You need to let it go. And let go of the anger. Contrary to what you may think, Biden won the election fair and square. There was no voter fraud.

Have you ever thought of getting yourself a hot dog cart? You can go to the park every day and sells hot dogs. Probably make more money than doing karaoke.

Anyway, you deserve to be happy. Why don't you take a ride to Big Cottonwood Canyon and spend the day enjoying the outdoors and relaxing?

It seems you have so much hate and animosity built up and you need to let it go. A day at the Canyon may be just the thing.

But hey, don't thank me... I'm just too happy to help.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Musicians VS Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am 
Online
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2076
Been Liked: 229 times
Alan B wrote:

I feel sorry for you. I know it was hard being duped by that con man that you supported in the White House but that's all over now. You need to let it go. And let go of the anger. Contrary to what you may think, Biden won the election fair and square. There was no voter fraud.

Have you ever thought of getting yourself a hot dog cart? You can go to the park every day and sells hot dogs. Probably make more money than doing karaoke.

Anyway, you deserve to be happy. Why don't you take a ride to Big Cottonwood Canyon and spend the day enjoying the outdoors and relaxing?

It seems you have so much hate and animosity built up and you need to let it go. A day at the Canyon may be just the thing.

But hey, don't thank me... I'm just too happy to help.


Oh, did you say something Alan? I am sorry, but I thought you might actually have had a coherent thought. I guess I was wrong. My bad.

Alan, how are the meeting going? Have you learned the 12 steps yet? Keep trying, you will get there someday. Good luck with those jig saw puzzles too!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earl, mrscott and 199 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech