KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Making Karaoke videos vs CDG Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:29 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
So, I know that the top two CDG softwares we have are Karaoke Builder Studio and Karaoke CD+G Creator. I've never used the latter, simply because KBS seems to be the superior program at a glance. I've seen the arguments for Creator being better at wipes, so I may give it a shot at some point.

Are these the only two options we really have? What do the professional producers use? I know I've seen tracks that have nice block count downs like the old Chartbuster tracks or even a physical number countdown. I don't think you can do either of those with the two mentioned softwares.

Also, as technology advances, the use of CDG's is getting outdated. AVI and MP4 files tend to look much better with a lot better graphics and video backgrounds. Does anyone know of any software that creates these videos? Not the cliché lyric videos on YouTube, but your typical karaoke where the words wipe as the song progresses. Examples are Karaoke-Version MP4s and Karafun. Those files look much better than the blocky CDG format. Does anyone know what software they use, or any decent software to create videos like this?

I know Power CD+G has a converter, but converted CDG files still don't look very clean, and playing around with it I haven't been able to add background videos like it claims you can. I suppose a software that can import data from a CDG file that can be tweaked then create a video file would be better than a simple conversion software, but I don't think anything like that exists, although the K-V CGD vs. MP4 look like they were created in this fashion, as the files look almost identical.

The only other software I've stumbled upon is Kanto Video Creator and Kanto Syncro, but I haven't tried the Kanto suite yet. Any leads on any other karaoke creation software are appreciated! I'd love to be able to make a nice clean karaoke video, and I don't think the old CDG format is capable of pulling that off!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I use karaoke home Producer from mtu.com. I actually like Powerkaraoke's cdg to mp4 converter but I no longer convert. I even stopped buying the mp4 files of the manufacturers but that is to make better use of karaoke file Manager's id3tag feature. If it worked with mp4 files I would continue getting mp4 files.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
CDG is getting outdated because CDs are outdated. However, MP3+G is far from outdated. MP3+G actually has many advantages over MP4 (or any video format). The two biggest reasons are size and speed. MP3+G files are significantly smaller because they're not videos. Videos are basically 24 (or more) full screen pictures per second, and even with compression, they take up a lot of space. MP3+G files only contain small instructions for drawing blocks on a very small grid with an even smaller color palette. Also, MP3+G files use a lot less CPU power and keep your machine running cooler and lasting longer. The MP3 audio portion has no less audio quality capabilities than the audio track of an MP4 video. Both depend on the bitrate of the audio track and utilize basically the same compression algorithms.

As a singer myself, I can tell you I don't care about how high def the lyrics are or how fancy the background is. Also, most singers want the attention on their performance. They don't want the crowd saying "hey look at that cool background on the lyrics screen". I guess it depends on who you're trying to impress. Are you trying to make your singers happy with emphasis on the performances, or are you trying to impress your KJ friends with your high def hardware and cool attention grabbing videos?

Basically, don't let the "CD" part of CDG fool you. CDs may be gone, but MP3+G files will make sense well into the future. They're a gem. Don't ever delete your MP3+G files. You will probably regret it if you do. It's like the people who tossed their vinyl records in the 1980s and now regret it. Just like vinyl records, there's a certain no-frills purity to MP3+G files. Also considering how little space they take up and how cheap hard drive space is these days, it's a no brainer.

Sound Choice made a very good decision when they made the MP3+G GEM series versions of their tracks, because they recorded all the MP3 audio at 320 kbps bitrate, which is CD quality, and even most MP4 videos don't go that high with the audio quality. Most of the MP3s tracks out there are recorded at 128 kbps. This stems from the early days of Napster when everyone wanted the smallest possible file without any noticeable difference in audio quality. The average person can't tell the difference at 128. My ear can (or I think it can) and I always made 160 kbps my minimum and preferred 192 kbps and up.

Basically, keep making MP3+G files. You can't go wrong. You can always convert them to video, but you can never convert them back from video. Remember that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:38 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
As a singer myself, I can tell you I don't care about how high def the lyrics are or how fancy the background is. Also, most singers want the attention on their performance. They don't want the crowd saying "hey look at that cool background on the lyrics screen". I guess it depends on who you're trying to impress. Are you trying to make your singers happy with emphasis on the performances, or are you trying to impress your KJ friends with your high def hardware and cool attention grabbing videos?

Oh yeah, I totally agree.

That said, I do miss the cheesy old Pioneer laserdisc karaoke movies. I wonder if they are archived anywhere?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:17 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
There is an other possible scenario that exists for MP3+G. For example, there are some songs that I produced that every time I hear them I cringe. Most of the times that was due to getting the songs out to reach a deadline, other times it was just too complex to produce within budget. Fast forward 20 years and the tools to produce music have advanced to a point where we could only dream of those resources back then. Fortunately all of our tracks were musically correct so it's just a matter of revoicing the tracks and voila, a greatly improved music track. All of these songs are out of license due to the +g files but the audio files themselves can be relicensed as phonorecords which can be "synced" to the existing +g files.

There's also the possibility of scoring a song to other producer's tracks. For example there were several Music Maestro tracks (and other producers as well so as not to single out Music Maestro) that had some pretty awful music. Here again that music can be rerecorded so that it syncs up with the original +g file for that producer and the music only licensed as a phonorecord. Just a thought but I'm willing to be that there are a number of songs that many KJs would be willing to pay a buck or two to have the music replaced with a quality audio track.