KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - New Features For Karma Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Features For Karma
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Hey Bob... I have a couple of suggestions for the next generation of Karma. These things have never been done before. It would take Karma to the next level. Here they are...

1. Karma Voice. Gone are the days of using a touch pad or a mouse to search for songs and enter singer information. Now, using the power of Karma Voice, you can run your shows simply by telling Karma what you want to do. For example: Hey Karma, put in the Sound Choice version of Let It Be by the Beatles for Shelly.

And if that's not enough... here's suggestion #2...

2. KVRS (Karma Vocal Recognition System). Let's face it. We all have singers we would rather not hear. KVRS is a way to cut a singers performance so we don't have to tolerate it. Using advanced algorithms, KVRS compares the singers vocals to those of the actual song. If it finds a huge discrepancy, the sound is muted and the on screen graphics will start to shake and then the screen will go black. You can then tell the singer that the computer crashed and to go back to his seat. If he asks to sing the song again later, you can say that the crash corrupted the file. This is a great way to eliminate someone where you don't look like the bad guy.

This can also be used manually by touching the KVRS button. So, for example, if you have someone that wants to sing American Pie, and let's face it, no one wants to sit through 10 minutes of that boring, repetitive song. So, what do you do? Start the song and after about 30 seconds (or as much as you can tolerate), just touch the KVRS button to take care of it.

Well, I can only hope that Bob likes my ideas and can incorporate them into the next version of Karma. If he does, Karma will be the most advanced software on the planet.

Yes, I know what you're thinking, Bob but don't thank me... I'm just too glad to help!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
Hey Bob... I have a couple of suggestions for the next generation of Karma. These things have never been done before. It would take Karma to the next level. Here they are...

1. Karma Voice. Gone are the days of using a touch pad or a mouse to search for songs and enter singer information. Now, using the power of Karma Voice, you can run your shows simply by telling Karma what you want to do. For example: Hey Karma, put in the Sound Choice version of Let It Be by the Beatles for Shelly.

2. KVRS (Karma Vocal Recognition System). Let's face it. We all have singers we would rather not hear. KVRS is a way to cut a singers performance so we don't have to tolerate it. Using advanced algorithms, KVRS compares the singers vocals to those of the actual song. If it finds a huge discrepancy, the sound is muted and the on screen graphics will start to shake and then the screen will go black. You can then tell the singer that the computer crashed and to go back to his seat. If he asks to sing the song again later, you can say that the crash corrupted the file. This is a great way to eliminate someone where you don't look like the bad guy.

This can also be used manually by touching the KVRS button. So, for example, if you have someone that wants to sing American Pie, and let's face it, no one wants to sit through 10 minutes of that boring, repetitive song, just touch the KVRS button to take care of it.

Well, I can only hope that Bob likes my ideas and can incorporate them into the next version of Karma. If he does, Karma will be the most advanced software on the planet.

Yes, I know what you're thinking, Bob but don't thank me... I'm just too glad to help!

Sure but I don't think that number 2 is a good idea after all it's not fair to the singers, I don't give a crap about being fair to the non singers as to the fact I'd they are too chicken (@$%&#!) to sing and I can see the difference voice commands ending up misspelling Shelly's name. But at least there I can blame the computer for not being able to spell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Sure but I don't think that number 2 is a good idea after all it's not fair to the singers...

Danny, this would be a feature that would benefit the host, the bartenders, the waitresses, the owner, as well as the patrons in the bar who have all complained to me, at one time or another, that they can do without listening to these "certain" types of singers.

Now, you may enjoy listening to someone who can't sing worth a lick, but the rest of us don't. I can only pray that Bob incorporates KVRS. A much needed feature that will help to eliminate this problem.

Now Danny, I'm sure that Bob can recognize and appreciate the worthiness of these suggestions. He is a smart businessman. So, I'm sure he will entertain them, embrace them, research them, develop them and incorporate them as very useful features for the next generation of Karma. These features are worth dollar signs, since no other software has these features. And since Bob is a smart businessman, he's not going to let something like this slip away from him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
Alan B wrote:

When we switch to .Net 5 sometime this year, it will be easier to integrate Windows Cortana voice control. However, the problem with voice control on this type of app is that most Karaoke shows are pretty loud and have too much background noise to be adequately effective. I'll probably test it with headset mics, which may work, so I'm not counting it out.

Last edited by Bob Latshaw on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:

This can also be used manually by touching the KVRS button. So, for example, if you have someone that wants to sing American Pie, and let's face it, no one wants to sit through 10 minutes of that boring, repetitive song. So, what do you do? Start the song and after about 30 seconds (or as much as you can tolerate), just touch the KVRS button to take care of it.

That's funny.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Sure but I don't think that number 2 is a good idea after all it's not fair to the singers...

Danny, this would be a feature that would benefit the host, the bartenders, the waitresses, the owner, as well as the patrons in the bar who have all complained to me, at one time or another, that they can do without listening to these "certain" types of singers.
Then the non singers shouldn't go on karaoke night and they should find workers who are karaoke friendly. Problem solved.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Lounge" section under "Any New Jokes"?

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
Alan B wrote:

That's funny.

Bob, I have no doubt in my mind that you can implement this or a variation of this or just the last part (manual mode) would be awesome. I would pay extra just to have that feature!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Then the non singers shouldn't go on karaoke night and they should find workers who are karaoke friendly. Problem solved.

Lonnie, if I may address your comment...

At all of the bars that I host in (or used to host it, everything is shut down right now), the staff certainly is karaoke friendly. At one of my bars, all of the waitresses, including the owner, sings. They all love singing and they love karaoke. With that said...

I have always encouraged everyone to sing. I tell them, karaoke is not about how good you singing is, it's about having a good time. But that doesn't mean that the staff, the patrons, the owner and myself included, want to listen to someone who slaughters a song. Like I told Danny, if he enjoys listening to someone who can't sing worth a lick, good for him, but the rest of us don't want to hear it.

We tolerate it, but we certainly don't enjoy it. I know that's the nature of the game but me and the staff and patrons, don't want to listen to the whiners, the screamers, etc., etc..

Now, let's be clear. I'm not going to stop someone that sucks from singing but I'll be the first to admit, I hate it. And so does everyone else that I mentioned. And it has nothing to do with being karaoke friendly. It has to do with your ears being painful because of it.

It seems that when someone really bad gets up to sing is when a lot of people get up to go to the bathroom or go outside for a smoke break. So again, I allow everyone to sing, unless you're wasted and stupid, but doesn't mean I have to like it...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
Now, let's be clear. I'm not going to stop someone that sucks from singing but I'll be the first to admit, I hate it.

we pretty much all feel the same way, but to be fair, the feature you requested is specifically to stop someone that sucks from singing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Now, let's be clear. I'm not going to stop someone that sucks from singing but I'll be the first to admit, I hate it.

we pretty much all feel the same way, but to be fair, the feature you requested is specifically to stop someone that sucks from singing.

YES! A genius idea, if I may say so myself. I would gladly pay double for Karma if it had that feature. Now, think about this...

You have one of those assh*le singers who think they're all that, but can't really sing for sh*t, gets up and starts screaming into the mic. All I have to do is click on the KVRS button and problem solved. Love it!

C'mon Bob... put it in!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

OK, I have another idea... even better. I have no doubt that Bob can implement this...

You have two buttons. One is called KVWS (Karma Vocal Warning System). Here's how it works:

When someone is screaming or singing obnoxiously loud, you click on the KVWS button and an overlay with the following message appears on the singer screen. It says:

"Warning, screaming into the microphone can cause distortion and damage to the equipment. Please reduce your vocals to an acceptable level or you will automatically be cut off".

Then, if he continues... click the second button (called goodbye) and he now gets the message: "Sorry, you are being cut off due to excessively loud vocals above the normal threshold. And then, the song ends.

Do this Bob.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
OK, I have another idea... even better. I have no doubt that Bob can implement this...

You have two buttons. One is called KVWS (Karma Vocal Warning System). Here's how it works:

When someone is screaming or singing obnoxiously loud, you click on the KVWS button and an overlay with the following message appears on the singer screen. It says:

"Warning, screaming into the microphone can cause distortion and damage to the equipment. Please reduce your vocals to an acceptable level or you will automatically be cut off".

Then, if he continues... click the second button (called goodbye) and he now gets the message: "Sorry, you are being cut off due to excessively loud vocals above the normal threshold. And then, the song ends.

Do this Bob.

If you use the triple display feature, you can send on-screen messages to the singer only and you can say anything you want. That's exactly what that feature is for. It's only available in triple display mode so that you can't embarrass the singer on a publicly viewed screen. If embarrassment is the goal, then just say it over the mic.

As far as pretending the song crashed, you can do that yourself. Just have a short video clip ready to insert next in the playlist that appears like the computer is breaking. I can't in good conscience add a feature that discourages any singers. Even the bad ones. I got into this because I'm a singer myself. Pardon the pun, but that would be bad Karma. Go easy on the bad singers. Some of them will get better, and I've always thought one of the core principles of karaoke is that in order to find good singers or create good singers, you have to open the mic to everyone, all the time, no exceptions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I like the not embarrassing the singers, myself.
I have a more realistic idea for Karma. Some singers like the ability to record their performances, I say some because I recognize that not everyone wants a memory of their performance. Some hosts are able to record from their mixer using the USB interface built into their mixer. It would be nice to have a way to select auto record when making a request.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Recording is a completely separate app and there are plenty of free ones that already exist. It's also overkill in 2021 when you consider most karaoke recordings are from smartphones in the crowd that are posted to facebook before you're even aware it happened. Singers who want a truly quality recording of their singing should do it in a studio. Also, I think you overestimate how many times singers want to hear themselves. Let's not encourage too much narcissism. To me, Karaoke is about being in the moment. There's a reason it's done in bars with alcohol around. Definitely not something that should start with the words "Take One".

I say let the crowds record videos and let recording studios do what they do best. You're a KJ. Cue people up, call people up, make it sound good, and enjoy the show.
:beermates: