KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Would you go to a remote request only show Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
My shows are going remote request only. The only way I can add songs to the rotation is via the remote request system of my player. I have it set up so that the karaoke database is only available to the remote request system's database making it so that I can not search for a song in the player that is in my uploaded library. I am still able to manually add songs that I buy on the fly but not songs that are already in my karaoke catalog. To request songs not in my library one would have to text me the song request and their name. Working on getting them to add a spot while making a request in the request system to add it to the request and have a box pop up with their message. This version of the player is not available yet because the system is not ready for prime time yet.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Oh, heck yeah. Before we knew what lockdown stuff was going to be like, I put together a quick system of remote requests for a bar I frequent, but karaoke was then cancelled indefinitely.

It does not matter to me if I have to use an app on my phone, a piece of paper, or telling the host. At this point, I'd probably even go with smoke signals if it meant a karaoke night. I miss it terribly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
sure, have been for almost 10 years now.
but not being able to look in your own system for a song?....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
No, and I dare say neither would 80% of my "regulars".

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I agree with Earl. I have been trying to get people to use their phones to turn in their song requests but not everyone wants to do it. I find that most of the younger singers are more receptive than the older folks. But either way, not everyone cares about using their phone.

Now, if you are doing this to lessen contact with singers for Covid reasons, I'm all for it but unless you are shielded in a glass bubble, you will still be at risk. People WILL still come up to you. They will want to ask questions, ask for dance music, tell you what they want to sing, or just want to talk to you. You cannot avoid this.

Paradigm says he's been using remote requests for years but that didn't stop him from getting Covid. So, in my opinion, using remote requests exclusively as the only means to turn in songs is stupid and will be a turn off to many people. You will probably lose some singers if that's the only way available for them to request songs.

So, the bottom line is, whether you use remote requests or not, as long as you are working in a bar, which is considered one of the top spreader environment's, you are at risk. Remote requests aren't going to change that. Masks aren't going to change it either, although they may help lessen the chances of you getting it but you are still at risk.

As long as you continue working in a bar while Covid19 is still out there, you are at risk. So, the exclusive remote thing is retarded.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
As far as I am concerned I am remote, and intend to stay so until it is safe. I have preexisting conditions, the same age as Trump 74, and don't intend for covid-19 to claim at least one senior.

"Oh covid oh covid how I hate thee, you killed me old father but you'll never get me.
I eat when I'm hungry, and I drink when I'm dry, and if covid to kill me I'll live till I die".

A variation on an old Irish tune "Oh Moonshine".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I'm even older, by a couple of years, than you and "The Donald", and must admit, there are days when I feel older than you and your President combined. And while I do own a cell phone, I barely know how to make and/or receive a call or text with it.

The chances of me learning to add some sort of remote "app" (Is that what you call them?) is remote all right.

I too have underlying medical conditions, having survived five, that's right five minor heart attacks... am a Type II, insulin dependent diabetic, sleep apnea, COPD, and assorted other ailments... BUT, I have absolutely no fear of Covid-19, nor any fear of dying. And I refuse to allow Fear to deny me of life's enjoyment.

So, for me to institute some sort of cell phone based request system is simply not relevant nor wanted.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:50 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
My shows are going remote request only. The only way I can add songs to the rotation is via the remote request system of my player. I have it set up so that the karaoke database is only available to the remote request system's database making it so that I can not search for a song in the player that is in my uploaded library. I am still able to manually add songs that I buy on the fly but not songs that are already in my karaoke catalog. To request songs not in my library one would have to text me the song request and their name. Working on getting them to add a spot while making a request in the request system to add it to the request and have a box pop up with their message. This version of the player is not available yet because the system is not ready for prime time yet.

I re-read your post because sometimes I don't really understand what you're trying to say. But, if I understand correctly, the only way singers can turn in song requests is using their phone. If that's correct, it's a stupid idea and one which will cost you customers. It's like telling singers, you can only sing songs by The Beatles. Just not going to work.

But... on the other hand, if I'm incorrect in comprehending what you're trying to say, than I apologize.

Remote request systems are great, but they're not for everybody. It should be used to enhance your show, giving singers another option of how they would like to turn it their requests, not a replacement for everything else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
I find that most of the younger singers are more receptive than the older folks.

my experience has been the opposite. the younger crowd can't figure it out and the older crowd shows them how to add it at the kiosk.
i love watching a 70 something show a 20 something who says "i don't know how to use computers" how to do it.
i can take them by phone (about 40% do it that way) and also by one of 2 kiosks i set up at each show (most of the rest use these), and i have 3 people that are illiterate so they come ask me for the 5 songs they know by heart. people can ask me on for a song, but very few really do.
different shows for different folks.
it's all in what you want to offer and how you offer it.
paper books are out of date the day they are first put out (unless the host doesn't add songs regularly). i buy songs at the minimum weekly for singers. might only be 1 or 2 this week and a half dozen next week, but i update constantly.
electronic is accurate up to the minute (as soon as i buy a song, it is there) so the singers that want different songs seem to prefer electronic for the constant updates.
also the older crowd prefers electronic since the print size is much larger and lit up clearly. on phone the font is the same size as most books, 12pt generally, which is 5/32 of an inch high. my kiosk uses 24pt font which is 11/32 of an inch.
more than double the size and bold with a backlit screen so it is significantly easier to read.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:58 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
I'd do it in a heartbeat, I don't know why I would refuse to do such a show.
I mean, I'm a newcomer, so I don't have any habits this would go up against.