KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Going back to work.... microphones Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:23 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Our state has lifted many of the restrictions and we have now began to return to some level of normalcy, with a lot of guidelines in place.
Bars, restaurants and other business are opening back up for business. So, with that announcement, I will be returning to hosting karaoke very soon (maybe as soon as this Friday). We will have to follow some pretty unclear guidelines, but at least it's a start. Some of the guidelines are staff are to wear masks at all times (unless you are eating or having to use your mouth for something necessary),,, ,those are part of the unclear guidelines :?: . Social distancing will be maintained and limited amount of patrons are allowed in the bar (30-40),, another unclear guideline.. :-? A plexiglass barrier has been installed on the work station for the bar and they will be using disposable cups. Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance to each bathroom and at the entry doors for all to use and will be encouraged to use it.

So, I have been told I can return to work, as long as I can maintain those standards too. I will have a sign up located prominently for all to see and read of what we will expect from the singer. No more than 2 people on stage at a time, ever!! and the second person will be need to let me know ahead of time so as to have microphones ready. There lies the question, how to ready the microphones. This is what I am thinking and I want your feedback. First of all, I will also be wearing a mask while working (if I sing, I won't have to tho,,, another one of those unclear guidelines,,, go figure :roll: ) I will be having each singer when they come to sing their turn to use hand sanitizer before picking up the microphone. The microphones will be placed in a holder (wiped down with sanitizing cleaner at each mic change) that will hold 3 microphones that have been wiped down with sanitizing solution. I might also order new extra mic heads to change and dip into cleaning solution and let dry.... meaning I will have to have multiple mic heads so as to give them time to dry. I should be using enough cleaners and sanitizer on my hands that I can handle the mics to clean them and place them on the holder. I also will be using a dedicated mic for announcing, nobody else will be using it, but it will also be wiped down frequently.

My booth created enough distance between me and the singers when they are wanting to ask for requests. I will not be using any books or slips, and will be working towards only using the "ask if I have the song" method, or setting up the remote request with their cell phones method. Mostly I expect to just have them ask if I have their songs. It's a small local bar where I know everyone, not a lot of new faces come in very often.

I know the guidelines aren't very specific, and our main purpose is to keep people safe. I feel what we will be doing is adequate to meet the standards tho. I hope all of us can return to doing what we love soon.... wish us luck!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:? Have you really thought what your legal liability could be Mr. Scott if some patron becomes ill and decides to sue you and the bar? All of these people running around protesting that they want things back to normal, would be the first to cry foul if they become ill. It would be all well and good if everyone is assuming the risk to reopen, but you know and I know it just takes one person to file a civil suit, where the burden of proof is much lower. Have you consulted an attorney to see what your financial liability might be, and do you have business insurance that will cover you, if you are sued for spreading coronavirus? Since I have assets there would be no way at my advanced years, and having hyper tension that I would place myself in a state of financial risk. I like you and don't want you to find out the risk reward ratio just isn't there, to take such a risk.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I will be giving out foam mic covers that singers will use throughout the night. And I will be sanitizing the mics after each performance. And I will have hand sanitizer on hand as well.

But I got news for you... you're being a little too lenient as far as 2 singers allowed on stage. Sorry, but the days of duets, at least initially, are gone. I will have only ONE person on stage at a time.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:? Same set of questions to you Alan?

By the way good luck to both of you.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:

That's a good point that you raise. Although I'm not scheduled to return to karaoke at this time. But it may come down to everyone who sings has to sign a waiver releasing you from any and all liability if they should become ill and that by singing karaoke, they do so at their own risk. Good idea.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:32 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

That's a good point that you raise. Although I'm not scheduled to return to karaoke at this time. But it may come down to everyone who sings has to sign a waiver releasing you from any and all liability if they should become ill and that by singing karaoke, they do so at their own risk. Good idea.

Alan, will those release in liability forms have to be notarized?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Alan, will those release in liability forms have to be notarized?

The more I think about it, I won't be using forms. A handshake will do just fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:shock: Make sure you wash your hands afterward!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:? Have you really thought what your legal liability could be Mr. Scott if some patron becomes ill and decides to sue you and the bar? All of these people running around protesting that they want things back to normal, would be the first to cry foul if they become ill. It would be all well and good if everyone is assuming the risk to reopen, but you know and I know it just takes one person to file a civil suit, where the burden of proof is much lower. Have you consulted an attorney to see what your financial liability might be, and do you have business insurance that will cover you, if you are sued for spreading coronavirus? Since I have assets there would be no way at my advanced years, and having hyper tension that I would place myself in a state of financial risk. I like you and don't want you to find out the risk reward ratio just isn't there, to take such a risk.

Like I said on an earlier thread, one cannot live in fear of "what if". There are certainties in life: the sun WILL come up tomorrow, you will be taxed, and we will die. One cannot avoid any of those. But we cannot live in fear of "what if" someone gets sick, or "what if" someone might be sued because of whatever reason some other person might find reason to sue. If we live in fear of the "what if's", then we might as well go shoot ourselves in the head and avoid all the potential "what if's". It doesn't mean that we don't take necessary precautions for some of life's obstacles, it just means we go on living our lives the very best we know how to do to make it from one end of the day to the other. If every single person lived in fear, then there would be nothing accomplished to better mankind.

Where we live, the coronavirus isn't widespread at all. In fact, the 6 surrounding counties have a total at the moment of 25 total cases verified so far. Out of those 25 cases, 18 have recovered already, and only 2 hospitalized. In those 6 counties, there is a total population of 85,206 people living in a land mass approximately 2/3 the size of New Jersey. Needless to say our risk is extremely low. You have a better chance of being hit by lightening (that may be a bit over-exaggerated, but you get the picture).

Utah was one of only 9 states that didn't do the mandatory shutdowns and stay at home orders. In fact, we only had 2 counties that issued such orders and a handful of individual cities. We are fortunate that we live in such a rural place that still enjoys what the best of life has to offer. I get to see a sky full of stars at night, and don't even lock my car doors. We don't live (and we shouldn't either) by the same set of standards that have become the "norm" for urban America. So I am looking forward to getting back to hosting karaoke at our local bar. Like I said in the opening post, I will be doing what our governor and the health department has given us for guidelines,,,, cleaning mics, wiping down surfaces, no more than 2 people on stage at once, no slips and keeping our social distancing practices adhered to.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: You have answered the question you are willing to assume the risk, now let's see how many citizens are willing to take the risk for karaoke? This nationwide opening up is a gamble and let's hope that the experts dire warnings don't come true. You will know in about 3 to 4 weeks whether it is the right move or not. One thing to remember just because some areas have dodged the bullet so far, doesn't mean they can continue to. We will not achieve herd immunity until 60 to 70% of the population is infected, we are only in the second inning of a nine inning baseball game. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
This nationwide opening up is a gamble and let's hope that the experts dire warnings don't come true. You will know in about 3 to 4 weeks whether it is the right move or not.

true, but it only takes a few days. Orange County for instance opened the beaches last sunday, on Thursday they had 145 new cases of Covid, the largest day yet. Saturday gave another 129 cases. the high number for one day new cases in the ENTIRE state (all counties combines) is 190. they almost hit that in one county in one day just after opening the beaches.
The Lone Ranger wrote:
One thing to remember just because some areas have dodged the bullet so far, doesn't mean they can continue to.

if Orange County, and Florida, and Kentucky, and Michigan, Illinois, Georgia, etc are any indicator, we are far from done and a bigger wave is on the way from opening up too soon.
The Lone Ranger wrote:
We will not achieve herd immunity until 60 to 70% of the population is infected, we are only in the second inning of a nine inning baseball game. Good Luck!

herd immunity is between 80% and 95% of the population infected. this is why we have absolutely 0% herd immunity for any disease.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:? One other point most people are ignoring is the next quarter's GNP. It is expected that the GNP could shrink as much as 30 to 40%, something that has not been seen since The Great Depression. The only reason the stock market is still up is because the FED pumped 4 trillion dollars into the markets to keep them afloat. The FED can do this as much as they want since they can print all the money they need, but even they can't do it forever. If the economy craters next quarter, it will have far reaching effects that will last a generation at least. In light of this what happens at the local bar or restaurant seems quite small.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:46 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
I will be giving out foam mic covers that singers will use throughout the night. And I will be sanitizing the mics after each performance. And I will have hand sanitizer on hand as well.

But I got news for you... you're being a little too lenient as far as 2 singers allowed on stage. Sorry, but the days of duets, at least initially, are gone. I will have only ONE person on stage at a time.

Alan, like I said to LR,,, we (meaning where we live) will not, do not, nor should live by the same rules or guidelines set up for urban America. They simply do not apply nor make any sense to subject ourselves to that level of stressed out panic. We are rural and spread out. Like it or not that's how we live. In fact, one small city in Utah (Washington City, population approx. 20,000, it's just outside St. George) never even skipped a beat during the entire time. Nobody there shut down, nobody worried about it and life went on. And did you know that there were only 85 cases of Covid in the entire county (population 177,500, that's under .0005% of the population) Now, I do agree there are areas that the people NEED to stay away from each other,,, we just aren't one part of that group.

So as far as "duets" are concerned, it's a non-issue here. But to be honest Alan... when it comes to bar life getting back to business, I doubt after a few drinks in a person, they are going to "social distance" anyway, whether there is karaoke or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: Unfortunately Mr.Scott according to a new CDC model the virus, if guidelines are relaxed will move from the current coastal hop spots, to rural middle America, it is just a matter of time. By tracking cell phones we can already see where people are moving from highly dense urban areas, to more rural settings, for various reasons, commerce, business, etc.etc.etc. With the president disregarding his own guidelines, and others following his example, it will not be long, before we see spikes in areas not touched before. According to the new CDC model we could have 3,000 deaths a day nationally by June the First. Rural Hospitals which have been already closing will be overwhelmed rather quickly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:21 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: Unfortunately Mr.Scott according to a new CDC model the virus, if guidelines are relaxed will move from the current coastal hop spots, to rural middle America, it is just a matter of time. By tracking cell phones we can already see where people are moving from highly dense urban areas, to more rural settings, for various reasons, commerce, business, etc.etc.etc. With the president disregarding his own guidelines, and others following his example, it will not be long, before we see spikes in areas not touched before. According to the new CDC model we could have 3,000 deaths a day nationally by June the First. Rural Hospitals which have been already closing will be overwhelmed rather quickly.

Paranoid much?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

Paranoid much?

:!: I don't think so, this a model from the CDC/FEMA, but you don't have to take my word for it. June the First is just around the corner. To be fore warned is to be forearmed.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Paranoid much?

:!: I don't think so, this a model from the CDC/FEMA, but you don't have to take my word for it. June the First is just around the corner. To be fore warned is to be forearmed.

This is EXACTLY the problem. It's called "fear mongering". If we listen to everything the alphabets say (news, gov. agencies, etc) then that is what causes the panic. You are doing just that.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I am not saying that a person should not prepare for emergencies, that is just plainly the intelligent thing to do. I have food storage, medical supplies, a place I can go if something dire happened,,,hence I am prepared. What I am saying is don't let the fear of the "what-if's" stop you from living a rewarding life.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

This is EXACTLY the problem. It's called "fear mongering". If we listen to everything the alphabets say (news, gov. agencies, etc) then that is what causes the panic. You are doing just that.

:? So you are telling me that by stating what is in an official government report based on their data, which is better than yours or mine , is fear mongering? The government is trying to warn the public, they are not trying to start a panic, they are letting you know what to expect. Just because their model doesn't agree with your view of things, doesn't make it any less valid, does it? These reports are published to inform the public, they are paid for with yours and my tax dollars.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:07 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

:? So you are telling me that by stating what is in an official government report based on their data, which is better than yours or mine , is fear mongering? The government is trying to warn the public, they are not trying to start a panic, they are letting you know what to expect. Just because their model doesn't agree with your view of things, doesn't make it any less valid, does it? These reports are published to inform the public, they are paid for with yours and my tax dollars.

Have you ever heard a piece of solid truth EVER be reported by any of the news agencies? How about the W.H.O. and the lies they told. Let's not forget the stories coming from the Chinese government. So,, yup, I am going to take ALL the reports that come out from ANY and ALL of the news agencies, government reports, etc. and weigh the information and make a decision based on what is best for me. I am not going to hide in the closet with my blankie and a nightlight, fearing the boogie man.