KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Have you ever done karaoke at a wedding? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
We have had requests for a few people to sing at a reception but never have done a karaoke reception. Not sure how I feel about the idea but I guess money is money, I would still charge my normal wedding prices.

Might be fun to try.
cheers
John

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Yep I Host Karaoke at weddings

Planning is the answer ..so you can accommodate The Bride and grooms wishes and the guests

I usually do an hour or two after the buffet then the last couple of hours just music so everyone can dance and so everyone is happy karaoke singers and non singers alike.
letting it run raggedly and in drips and drabs does not work well in my experience , having a structure makes the venue happy and keeps the running of the day run smoothly.
Here is a piccy from one of my gigs of a bride giving it her all .

I charge my usual wedding rate plus a karaoke add on rate just as i would for other added services such as uplighting

To Visit my website Rob Star Entertainments Click the link in my profile

"Strangers are just friend we haven't met yet"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
The best wedding Karaoke I have ever done is the reception "After Parties". This is after the relatives and family friends have left and the "core" + wedding party changes into comfortable clothes and shakes off the stress of the day. TONS of fun.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 43 times
I've done karaoke at a wedding - my own!
I was just getting started as a KJ when my singing partner decided it was time for us to wed.
My venue owner offered up his bar for our reception, locked door, starting at 4 p.m. on a Sunday.
I played background music and some dances until the older folks and children left, then we began our karaoke-thon. Many of my regulars and the bar staff were there, we did not leave until sunrise.
I've also played a few other weddings, usually as a wedding gift to a regular.
I also played at a regular's funeral, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

As KJs all we can do is pass on our experiences to potential karaoke-seeking customers. I have done many weddings...some with karaoke, some without. After I speak with the soon-to-be's, I have a pretty good idea about how important karaoke really is to them. If they are regular karaoke participants and many of their friends are as well (this is common in our area -- big groups of friends/karaokers) then of course they'll opt to have it at their reception. The most recent wedding we did was 90% karaoke, 10% DJ. All the sisters of the bride, nieces of the bride, nephews of the bride, and the bride herself were all pretty serious singers. On the other hand, if when you attempt an upsell of karaoke when you discuss price, and they don't respond immediately, drop it. I do mention that if they change their mind, and want to have someone actually sing one of "their" songs at their reception we can set it up but not open it up to the general crowd.

As in everything, there isn't only one answer to this. Completely dependent on the customer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 pm 

I have a wedding at the end of June. The bride wants karaoke the groom is not very keen and just want's dance music. I hope this is not gonna be their first argument....Lol...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
ripman8 wrote:
Eli's_Mom @ Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:23 am wrote:
They told me the reception will probably have about a total of 100 people more likely less than that. The only real children/ teens would be my son who will be 3 and the flower girl who will be 6 and possibly the groom's 2 sisters who are in their mid teens. I think in this case we would have an edited book (one with less rap and hard rock) with radio edited versions of songs. I agree that the special dances and things should come first before the karaoke. They are thinking about doing half karaoke and half dancing we are just wondering the best way to do that. They honestly think that the karaoke will go over better than the dancing, and I trust them to know what is best for their own reception. Although, my husband will be totally prepared in case they change their minds.

Just had a meeting Sunday with a bride and groom that requested karaoke. Here is what they decided after talking about potential not so pretty situations.

We have a timeline of events with cues listed.

After cake cutting, speeches, bouquet toss, garter toss, special dances yada yada ya, I will be opening it up to open dance. This is a 7 hour reception, sometime after 4 hours, karaoke will be turned on, straight DJing will be over. If no singers, I will still be playing dance music. Just depends. Any rotations will be up to me, however for the money they are paying me, if they want grandma Gertrude to sing Bicycle Built for 2 3 times in a row, ok, no problem! Actually could get wild. Entrance song is the Hawkeye fight song, the wedding party is coming in to Ice Ice Baby and the Bridal party dance will start with Jack Johnson Better Together for 30 sec and then cut into Shook Me All Night Long!

I think it's going to be a hoot. I was given a wide open attire choice, only two no nos is that I can't wear sweat pants, and I can't play Buckcherry Crazy <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

Ok, so how did it go? Only had one kid sing, the bride's daughter which went over very well. The key was all the events were long over, most the older people had gone. The singers were basically the wedding party and they had a blast! I was tucked in a small corner stage, had to use my imagination to get everything set and still have room for multiple singers. My services got rave reviews, and word of mouth got me more weddings due to this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
ripman8 glad it went over well ...we just booked 2 more weddings for this year...we only do karaoke and no DJ work....takes a bit to get it going but always rave reveiws

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
From the one that I did
I found you need to have a tighter control of your guests.
They are there to drink and they do.
More than usual karaoke, you need to be the boss.
They are animals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
jerry12x wrote:
From the one that I did
I found you need to have a tighter control of your guests.
They are there to drink and they do.
More than usual karaoke, you need to be the boss.
They are animals.

Won't totally disagree with this. Rotation will not be as usual. If the bride or groom wants someone to cut in, for that kind of money, I don't say no.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
We've done it a couple of times where it did not go well, most of the singers weren't very good and instead of getting to dance, the remainder of the guests had to just sit - takes the energy and interaction completely out of the party.

On the other hand, I've done a couple where most of the bridal party were music majors or musicians. That went well because of the talent level of the guests and most of the families liked watching the performances.

As a rule, I discourage it because of the first paragraph scenario. Rehearsal dinners/parties are the best choice for karaoke IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I somewhat disagree.... Karaoke at a wedding reception HAS TO BE TEMPERED.... Most of the guest are NOT there to sing, they will dance however. So I well-spaced-out rotation is what has to happen to keep the guests from becoming nothing more than bored wallflowers. The KJ needs to involve them too.

Interesting because I did karaoke at a wedding last night (whether I was simply attending or working is something you have to ask KJAthena) and it went over very well.

First it wasn't even available until after 10:15 pm and event then, there were a couple singers, a couple dance songs, a couple singers... etc...

You cannot do karaoke at a wedding reception with the same attitude as you would in a club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 am 

If you are planning a grand event, I want you to turn your attention to rustic wedding decor for sale https://crawoo.com/collections/rustic-w ... ecorations because I am sure that they will suit any style of wedding.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm 

Been Liked: 1 time
[quote="Eli's_Mom"]My best friends in the entire world are getting married next summer. They would like a mix of dance music and karaoke at the reception(90% of their friends and family will do karaoke if there is an opportunity), and would like my husband to DJ. Have you ever done this? What was it like? How did it work?[/quote]

Not only did I have karaoke at my wedding, I was actually one of the KJ's running the show! I have a lot of karaoke jock friends who were in attendance. It was quite a spectacle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
Yeah, I've had good ones and bad ones The more drinking that went on the worse the karaoke at these weddings became. Its hard to do karaoke early in the evening because of all the formal dances, etc. I once had a drunk bride fall into a nearby fountain while holding my Shure PGX 24 wireless. As drunk as she was, she never let my mic hit the water. Pretty impressive to say the least

All in all I'm not a fan of karaoke at weddings. Sure I've had successful weddings with karaoke, but I feel it cheapens the event as a whole. It turns an elegant affair into a sideshow.