KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - DO YOU THINK CONTESTS ARE JUDGED FAIRLY? - Your chance to vote... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DO YOU THINK CONTESTS ARE JUDGED FAIRLY? - Your chance to vote...
1.YES, ABSOLUTLY 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1.YES, ABSOLUTLY 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2.NO, NEVER 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
2.NO, NEVER 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
3.SOME ARE, SOME AREN'T 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
3.SOME ARE, SOME AREN'T 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
4.I WOULD NEVER ENTER A CONTEST 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
4.I WOULD NEVER ENTER A CONTEST 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
5.ALL CONTESTS ARE FIXED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.ALL CONTESTS ARE FIXED 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6.I WOULD RATHER PLAY THE LOTTERY THAN ENTER A CONTEST. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.I WOULD RATHER PLAY THE LOTTERY THAN ENTER A CONTEST. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
7.NO COMMENT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7.NO COMMENT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8.IF I WAS ASSURED OF WINNING I WOULD ENTER 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8.IF I WAS ASSURED OF WINNING I WOULD ENTER 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:58 pm 
As my last offering on this web site, I give you the poll of the week. Include your comments why or why not, and include what you think about American Idol, those who entered Talentquest, and your opinion on any other contest going on right now. Also include how you would hold the "PERFECT" contest and what categories would be in it, how you would pick the judges and how would "YOU" guarantee the outcome of the contest...good luck everyone :D  :0  :p  :exclam:  :thumbs-up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:42 pm 
There is no perfect way to run a contest that in every1's eyes would be a fair contest. Therefor I do not enter nor hold contests at any of my venues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:48 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I don't enter contests because of self-esteem issues.

But that being said, I have attended several contests and have seen some to be very fixed, and some to be totally honest.  (Don't get me started on the one ran at the county fair...the organizers child won...and I couldn't hear her over the mic.)

John

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I only had bad experiences at contests, Maybe it was just bad luck. Mike, I don't think you are being reasonable by leaving.

You know its summertime and people are not online as much and things have been a little slow here and elsewhere. I don't want to feel guilty about not posting in the thank a kj thread. I really hope you change your mind, I think your input is greatly appreciated, BJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

First prize, (a pretty blue ribbon), goes to:
The girl with the biggest boobs!  :p
What do you mean, she didn't sing? So what? She still wins! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 6:31 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

In my household we have a standing joke that the girl with the most "TALENT" usually wins or gets the biggest applause. And the talent we're referring to doesn't have anything to do with singing ability. :crazy:  :happy:

Usually only the winner of a contest will think the contest was entirely fair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:31 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Michael you may be getting a good point across here. This makes the 6th post on this thread, (seems likes I saved it from quickly becoming burried in this forum's sea of messages). You may be right in that EVERYONE has a voice of complaint, but no one (well not everyone) want to work on a solution.

As for the judging issue:

I wonder if someone creating an independent judging firm, (like you see in the corporate world) could help in keeping the outcome of contests fair? Of course there would be a lot of details to iron out, but it's something to think about.

For example, this firm could go into local music schools, music stores, basically anywhere that they could find musically inclined individuals seeking impartial judges.

They could then barter, exchanging an employees services for 3 or 4 hours in exchange for advertizing via the contest's promotions.

This way, not even the person promoting the event would know who the judges were going to be until the judges arrived at the event.

Just a thought.

GB2   :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:22 pm 

I hold contest about once a year at my shows.  I usually try to have a finals with all the local winners.

:p

My method seems to work with the fewest complaints.  ;)

I hand everyone in the bar a voting slip with three lines on it.

First   (always your friend)
Second   (whoever you liked that was not your 1st)
Third  (your next favorite.)

You must have three different names or that vote doesn't count.

Invariably the second place gets the most votes.  

:hehe: Works for me with few if any complaints.

I have had one girl who brought about 75 friends with her who got a huge number of first place votes, but then she got the most 2nd place votes too.   :0

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:57 pm 
Sounds like a great method, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I agree with Kojak. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:02 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
BJC

Big...

I'm pleased to see the braces came off... :D

Oh, yes some are fair, some ain't.. :blush:

All I can do is sing my butt off... :D

Jerry

Quotes on request... Jerry Dixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:56 am 
First of all I believe that everybody should walk away a winner... so all participants should get atleast something equalivant to the cost of 2 Beers... :p

Second here's my method of judging...

A 40 point system... 4 equal catagories 1-10 points each.
1) Vocals
2) Showmanship
3) Stagepresence
4) Lyrical Accuracy to the CDG and pacing...

Then I use 5 judges and a silent 6th in case Bias is detected.

I take the most consistant scores to the formula from the 5 out of the 6 and total them up and decide my top 3 from the highest scores.

Have Fun!

Brian@ Sprocket Karaoke Productions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:13 pm 
There is no fair way to judge a karaoke contest. judges judge songs they like. It`s human nature. What doe`s showmanship and stage presence have to do with the ability to sing?  But just about everyone who answers this thinks it`s important. I try to shy away from situations I know make me angry, so contests are`nt for me. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:55 am 
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, so hello. I have a questions, I have been in at least 3 contests where I was told my many people that I won. The last one I was in, I really felt like I had it. I don't have a problem losing to people who are better or are just as good, but I have lost to people who have no singing ability at all. One thing that they do, they I don't, is dance like idiots and get crazy. I know the crowd likes this, but it's not in my personality and it would come out all wrong. So any suggestions? It's funny, but some of the contests I have been in have included "regulars" and they have friends and I have noticed that the friends are the ones who are placing. So I don't know, I have come to the point where I just join to have fun and accept that I'm going to lose and their hear alot of crowd members come to me after and go "you won", "you were robbed". The last one I was in, I had a guy ready to fight over it, he was really mad that I lost. It's uncomfortable for me. Any suggestions?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:36 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Hi Mike!

This "acting like idiots to win" is all to normal an occurance. My wife entered her last contest Wednesday evening and even though she did place second, the first place winners were two guys singing a Neil Diamond song. These guys had no talent what so ever, but were shaking their pelvics at the Judges. Hahaha!

These two guys sat at the judge table all night, and get this. After last call for contestants and the contest was almost over I noticed them reading a song list. They were then announced as the last contestants of the evening.

As mad as I get at these situations, my wife always takes them in stride. She says her reward is simply when she brings the house down with her performance. She says the day they take the fun out of it for her, is the day that she will stop singing Karaoke.

GB2 :thumbs-up:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:53 pm 
I never wouldhold a singing contest. I've read too many horror stories.
What does it prove anyways, its karaoke everybody wins.
We all have contracts waiting from record company's. Don't we.
Hey maybe they should have a contest for the worst singers. :happy: Then they could sell more drinks.(oh my aching ears)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:25 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Maybe you could have a contest where the winner, (whose name has been drawen at random), would receive a free drink. Any time you have a serious contest the KJ always loses. It doesn't matter that someone else was the judge, it's the JK's show isn't it? Even when the KJ works for a co., and someone else judges it's STILL the JK's fault that every loser lost. The KJ always loses! Sorry but I'm no loser and neither are ANY of my singers. If ya get on stage, you're a winner! The most horid singer around can ask me how he did, and I'll always tell him that he did just fine! He did get up and sing didn't he? Contests cause hurt feelings, repressed hostilites, and mean spritness, and I just won't be a part of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:37 am 
Thanks everyone,

Check this out, I went out on Friday to a bar and sing in a Karaoke contest. This is one of those places that I go to about every other week and have only been going for about 3 months. Anyway, there is a guy there who is a regular and he is one of those guys who really can't sing a lick. But he shakes his butt and acts crazy and the drunk judges love that. I have lost 2 him twice and tied once. Mind you, I don't mind losing to talented people, but this guy was starting to get on my nerves. Anyway, there was 5 of us. I went 3rd and did "A Little Less Talk and A Lot More Action", one of the crowd pleasers. I did something not normal for me, get the crowd involved. Well the "regular" did "Statue of A Fool", which I new was a mistake. Well during his song he had some technical difficulties. After the judging, the DJ came to me and said that she wanted to let him redo his song, because he scored too low. I agreed with the other contestants, what I'm gonna say? So he CHANGES his song and sings again. I thought he was going to do the same song. It was so obvious, my girlfriend was really getting upset, I let it go. I didn't like it, but it's all for fun anyway. Anyway, it didn't matter, these judges picked me and I won for the first time at this bar. What is your take on "Technical Difficulites"?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:54 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Joeknoz
Higher up, (or somewhere) I posted how I lost trying to get to the Queen Mary for Karaoke Fest 2002.
I truly did try, however the vote was from a younger crowd, I didn't make the cut. I'm not upset, because as you say, it's all for fun anyway.
(Plus, I'm way ugly. My picture I swiped from the gallery.)
Anyway, contests are hard, and don't take it personally.
All I can suggest is to:
Sing 'em if you got 'em..  :D

Jerry :music:  :music:  :music:  :music:  :music:  :music:  :music:

Quotes on request... Jerry Dixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:21 am 
in my experiences with contests, i have to say that most of the time they are unfair.  if someone who cant sing brings in 50 friends and they get the most applause then they win.  how is that fair.  one time i came in second only because the judge had a crush on the other girl in the contest who couldn't sing a note.  also i have learned that in some karaoke contests, contestants are judged by what they look like, or if they are regulars,etc.  so how can they ever be considered fair?  i won a contest one time against my best friend.  she has a phenomenal voice but she picked the wrong song to sing that night and lost.  i felt bad because although i think i have a great voice, i thought she should have won.  its only my opinion!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next