KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - RYOK - My First Roll..... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ

Social Networks


wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links


It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
Way back in 6th Grade, I was hanging out with my buddy Mike (who was in 7th grade) and he asked me if I wanted to smoke a....cigarette. I had tried smoking before, but it just wasn't my thing. But he said this was different because we would be making our own cigarettes instead of smoking a store bought one. He claimed they smelled and tasted better and I kinda looked up to him so I took him up on the offer.

My parents weren't home so I offered to use my basement. My father smoked at the time so I figured it was as safe a place as any to smoke without the smell being too much of an issue.

Mike produced some rolling papers, and some....tobacco....and proceeded to demonstrate to me how to roll a....cigarette. He rolled his on the first try with the adept grace and style of an experienced....cigarette....roller. But mine took several tries and didn't quite have the same look and feel as his. But it was smokable, and we enjoyed my first rolled cigarette in my parents basement while listening to Heart's "Dreamboat Annie" and Steve Martin's "Let's Get Small".

I should note that even though our homemade....cigarettes....weren't as polished and manufactured looking, it didn't matter to me. They looked a little different, smelled a little different, tasted a little different, and have me a much better buzz than the store bought kind, but, most importantly, *I* made it myself.

It was awesome.

Fast Forward from 1977 to 2014 and I have just finished rolling my first karaoke CD+G's using the RYOK tracks and Beethoven software package from Stellar/PHM.

Just like my first....cigarette....it took me a few attempts and about an hour and 15 mins to complete my first RYOK karaoke project.

For my first attempt, I chose "Stay The Night" by Zedd and Hayley Williams because I know and like the song (it has also been requested a few times). This song only had a 2/5 star rating for the lyrics site I used and this is where I spent most of my time trying to get things straightened out. The lyrics were not complete and included lyrics for backing vocals which took me a little time to figure out that I needed to remove.

(btw....there is a relatively short help file that walks through all of the required steps. But after the first few attempts, I no longer needed to refer to the help info)

Through a little trial and error, I figured out what changes I needed to make and I ended up with a near perfect track that I will make available for my downtown gig this weekend. As time goes on I will be happy to write up some tips and tricks, but it is way to early to start that process until I have completed a few more songs.

For my second track I chose "Tom Ford" by Jay Z. I chose this track because I have never heard the song before, it had a 5 star Lyric Rating, and I wanted to see how fast I could make the track with good lyrics. I did not have to refer to the help file at all for this track.

I started at 5:04 PM and ended at 5:17 PM. A total of 13 minutes.

I could have shaved 7 mins and 16 seconds off of this by not testing the lyrics scroll (which requires playing the full track in the editor @ 3 mins and 8 secs) and by not playing the track in Karma (which consumed 60 secs while updating the database to see the track and another 3 mins and 8 secs to play the entire track again).

Skipping the checks I could have completed in ~6 mins.

I did this in a single take and the resulting track was nearly flawless. There is a small quick rap section where the scroll was slightly out of time, but that happens in any rap song where it goes very quickly. I suspect that once people are more familiar with the tools, we will be able to make them more usable.

In short, the tools are a little klunky, but not hard to figure out by someone who is reasonably computer literate. If you are comfortable navigating the Windows file hierarchy with Windows Explorer, you are 1/2 way there. The editors themselves will take some time for anyone to really be able to tweak the files and truly nail down the swipes the way they want them. But all-in-all it is a pretty cool and easy way to create CD+G files.

I should also note that I have never made my own karaoke track before. I started playing with Karaoke Builder Studio a long time ago and became frustrated with it almost immediately. This is a night and day improvement over that product (unless they have updated it significantly in the last year).

I should also note that on both of the above tracks I changed the font and the unsung/sung word colors.

I won't have much more time to play with it again until after Saturday, but I will try to get something posted by Monday evening regarding customizations of the fonts, colors and how multiple singer (duets and 3+ singers) work.

-Chris

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Last edited by chrisavis on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: Jersey
Been Liked: 159 times
I guess I'll have to wait for the next version of Beethoven to come out without any restrictions as to which songs it will work with. Someone sent me the first version of it and it has some restrictions so I couldn't take it for a test drive before buying it. It just crashed whenever I tried to load a song into it. Oh Well. Just a matter of time.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
BruceFan4Life wrote:
I guess I'll have to wait for the next version of Beethoven to come out without any restrictions as to which songs it will work with. Someone sent me the first version of it and it has some restrictions so I couldn't take it for a test drive before buying it. It just crashed whenever I tried to load a song into it. Oh Well. Just a matter of time.


So you pirated Beethoven already? And brazenly admitted it right here?

Maybe you should change your name to ACDCFanForLife cuz you have big balls.

-Chris

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 4788
Been Liked: 294 times
Sounds great, Chris. I've been using IPE's Karaoke Master for years- mostly for comedic home parodies. The RYOK sounds like it may be WAY easier. Truth be told, my KM versions come out kind of mediocre- my fault, not the software.

Maybe RYOK's ease of use would help- if it worked directly with discs... :wink:

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: Jersey
Been Liked: 159 times
chrisavis wrote:
BruceFan4Life wrote:
I guess I'll have to wait for the next version of Beethoven to come out without any restrictions as to which songs it will work with. Someone sent me the first version of it and it has some restrictions so I couldn't take it for a test drive before buying it. It just crashed whenever I tried to load a song into it. Oh Well. Just a matter of time.


So you pirated Beethoven already? And brazenly admitted it right here?

Maybe you should change your name to ACDCFanForLife cuz you have big balls.

-Chris


Someone wanted my expert opinion on it to see if it would be worth buying so they sent me the equivalent of a DEMO version of the software. I gave them my opinion of the software and they will make their decision on buying PHM material in the future based on that opinion. If there was a demo version of the software along with a sample song that would work with the software; people would be able to make informed decisions before spending their money on something that they don't feel is worth it.

When you buy a car you get to take it for a test drive and sometimes you take it to you local mechanic to have him take a good look at it. That's all that happened here. I have already deleted the software in question because I don't need it as I already have 3 different programs to make my own karaoke tracks. I wasn't about to buy 18 tracks to get the ONE song that I didn't already have, just so I could check out how quickly Beethoven could author a karaoke track. I didn't even go around asking for the software. Someone sent it to me with a request that I would check it our for them. There's that word of mouth thing again. People that have seen the karaoke tracks that I make respect my opinion on making homemade karaoke tracks.

I'm downloading GRUDGE MATCH right now to take it for a test drive too. LOL I pay for HBO and Showtime so I figure that I'm just watching it a little bit sooner but at some point I will be charged for it.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 254
Been Liked: 66 times
I've never heard of this program. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm 
Online
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 19076
Songs: 32
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 830 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
I've never heard of this program. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?

www.pophitsmonthly.com

It's free with the purchase of the latest monthly release from PHM as it's required to get the graphics for the new product. I don't think you can buy it individually yet.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 254
Been Liked: 66 times
Lonman wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
I've never heard of this program. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?

http://www.pophitsmonthly.com

It's free with the purchase of the latest monthly release from PHM as it's required to get the graphics for the new product. I don't think you can buy it individually yet.


Ah. So not necessarily the route to go for a person with a zero song library who just wants to make his own thing yet, then. I will try to remember it for the future. Thanks!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
BruceFan4Life wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
BruceFan4Life wrote:
I guess I'll have to wait for the next version of Beethoven to come out without any restrictions as to which songs it will work with. Someone sent me the first version of it and it has some restrictions so I couldn't take it for a test drive before buying it. It just crashed whenever I tried to load a song into it. Oh Well. Just a matter of time.


So you pirated Beethoven already? And brazenly admitted it right here?

Maybe you should change your name to ACDCFanForLife cuz you have big balls.

-Chris


Someone wanted my expert opinion on it to see if it would be worth buying so they sent me the equivalent of a DEMO version of the software. I gave them my opinion of the software and they will make their decision on buying PHM material in the future based on that opinion. If there was a demo version of the software along with a sample song that would work with the software; people would be able to make informed decisions before spending their money on something that they don't feel is worth it.

When you buy a car you get to take it for a test drive and sometimes you take it to you local mechanic to have him take a good look at it. That's all that happened here. I have already deleted the software in question because I don't need it as I already have 3 different programs to make my own karaoke tracks. I wasn't about to buy 18 tracks to get the ONE song that I didn't already have, just so I could check out how quickly Beethoven could author a karaoke track. I didn't even go around asking for the software. Someone sent it to me with a request that I would check it our for them. There's that word of mouth thing again. People that have seen the karaoke tracks that I make respect my opinion on making homemade karaoke tracks.

I'm downloading GRUDGE MATCH right now to take it for a test drive too. LOL I pay for HBO and Showtime so I figure that I'm just watching it a little bit sooner but at some point I will be charged for it.


So....you pirated it. Nuff said. Post archived. Thank you for your honesty.

-Chris

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: Jersey
Been Liked: 159 times
and you say it's easy to tweak me? LOL


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:55 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
Yes, I do.

Do you really think you have ever tweaked me? Your narcissism is amazing. :)

-Chris

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:23 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 979
Images: 1
Location: Idaho
Been Liked: 89 times
chris, how about a screen capture of your work?

_________________
It's all good!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:06 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 am
Posts: 136
Location: Washington D.C.
Been Liked: 12 times
I'm glad Chris is having an easy time with it, but my first song "Timber" in the style of Pitbull featuring Ke$ha (a three star song) was a B##ch!

This was the suggested lyric:

Wooooah (timber), wooooah (timber), wooooah (it's going down)

This is what I ended up with:


Attachments:
Timber.jpg
Timber.jpg [ 75.9 KiB | Viewed 1200 times ]

_________________
Karaoke that just sounds better!
Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:39 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
Screen shot of "Stay The Night"

-Chris

Attachment:
FirstRoll.png
FirstRoll.png [ 23.36 KiB | Viewed 1174 times ]

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 4409
Images: 1
Location: Redmond, WA
Been Liked: 1014 times
frede wrote:
I'm glad Chris is having an easy time with it, but my first song "Timber" in the style of Pitbull featuring Ke$ha (a three star song) was a B##ch!

This was the suggested lyric:

Wooooah (timber), wooooah (timber), wooooah (it's going down)

This is what I ended up with:


I get the feeling that for multi-singer songs, there is going to be a lot more work involved.

-Chris

_________________
-Chris

Work hard. Play hard. Land face down.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 979
Images: 1
Location: Idaho
Been Liked: 89 times
chrisavis wrote:
Screen shot of "Stay The Night"

-Chris

Attachment:
FirstRoll.png



graphics remind me of sweet Georgia brown disc's, lol

_________________
It's all good!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:30 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:03 pm
Posts: 2674
Location: Jersey
Been Liked: 159 times
I like mine better:


Attachments:
screen shot CDG.JPG
screen shot CDG.JPG [ 28.72 KiB | Viewed 1146 times ]
Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:23 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:35 am
Posts: 539
Images: 0
Been Liked: 40 times
Lonman wrote:
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
I've never heard of this program. Do you have a link to where it can be purchased?

http://www.pophitsmonthly.com

It's free with the purchase of the latest monthly release from PHM as it's required to get the graphics for the new product. I don't think you can buy it individually yet.



I am surprised that no one has thrown out the question of its usability in a commercial setting. I read their description, and they specifically mention using it to make those tracks with lyrics, and that their means of providing this avoids the extra licensing normally needed to synchronize...hmmmm...but I saw nothing specifically about commercial use.....


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:55 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: New York City
Been Liked: 353 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
I am surprised that no one has thrown out the question of its usability in a commercial setting.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29235 Start with mightwiz's post at the bottom of the 1st page.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm
Posts: 1068
Location: HIgh River, AB
Been Liked: 101 times
interesting.. One set looks like the sweet georgia brown graphics and the other looks like Mr Entertainer.


I could live with either one.

-James


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanj and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech