KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Duplicating Compuhost Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Duplicating Compuhost
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
I have all of my discs downloaded into Compuhost from an external harddrive. I know how to export the songlist to ex: Fasttracks, but, what I'm looking to do is make a duplicate of the songs I have (in one external harddrive) to another harddrive, and have it for (back-up) with my home laptop. That way, if something happens, I can pick up my home laptop, and harddrive, (which has Compuhost installed), put the dongle in, and I'm back in business. Is there a way to do this from Compuhost, or do I copy all folders from one harddrive on to the other, then load them into the other Compuhost?

Srnitynow

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
srnitynow @ Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am wrote:
I have all of my discs downloaded into Compuhost from an external harddrive. I know how to export the songlist to ex: Fasttracks, but, what I'm looking to do is make a duplicate of the songs I have (in one external harddrive) to another harddrive, and have it for (back-up) with my home laptop. That way, if something happens, I can pick up my home laptop, and harddrive, (which has Compuhost installed), put the dongle in, and I'm back in business. Is there a way to do this from Compuhost, or do I copy all folders from one harddrive on to the other, then load them into the other Compuhost?

Srnitynow

As long as you keep the folder structure the same there is no need of reimporting the songs. I have two backup harddrives. All I did was use the dos xcopy command to make an exact duplicate of the original drive. You can also use any drive duplicator program, such as the one packaged with the new harddrive, if any. Anyway, once the drives are duplicated, you can swap them out at will.

You can also copy over your songlist.tps and history.tps files to the backup computer and keep your two systems in sync, as long as the folders and files are structured the same.

tbreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
You'll have to copy the files over to your home computer's external by yourself or there are softwares out there that will do it for you, I believe Latshaw has such a program that is freeware.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
First, What you want to do is make sure you copy your music folder EXACTLY as you have it on your primary drive.

For example my "top" folder on my external drive is > Karaoke Koyote Entertainment > Karaoke Files.

So I cut karaoke koyote entertainment and paste it into the new drive. The copy process may take a couple of hours depending on how much music you have and the speed of your connection.

Second, and this is VERY important. Make sure you give BOTH drives the same drive name. Both of my drives are named "Koyote Karaoke".

You also have to make sure that both drives have the same drive letter designation. So, if your drive letter is E, the second drive must also be E when you plug it in. You will probably have to manually rename the drive as well as manually redesignate the drive. If you are like me, when you back up the drives you have them both pugged in at the same time, which will give each drive a different letter designation (say E and F). If you go to plug in the secondary drive at a latter time it may remember it as the F drive even if the primary E drive isn't plugged in. This is a problem as Compuhost will be looking for the E drive.

To manually redesignate a drive letter click Start> Right click over My Computer and select manage. From the pop up window click <Drive Management> and right click the drive letter you want to change and select <Change drive letter and paths> from the drop down menu. :D

Third, make sure that when you copy your updates into the drive you move them to the same folders as on the primary drive.

To make index and locating of karaoke tracks easier to find I also make a folder for each manu. For large groups of files... say 500+ I put them into individual files. For example, the folder structure for Chartbuster Essentials 1 is: Karaoke Koyote Entertainment > Karaoke Files > Chartbuster > CBE1.

If you put all your files into one folder, actually looking at them will slow your computer to a crawl, making it difficult to remove and replace damaged or wrongly named tracks.

Doing it this way you will be able to use both drive interchangeably without having to re-import tracks with Compuhost.

Cool? :D

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:14 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I use Ice Mirror to dupe my h-drive
http://www.ice-graphics.com/ICEMirror/IndexE.html

I also found Tera Copy, but haven't tried it yet....
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Both are FREEWARE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
I'm currently in the process of transferring the folders from one harddrive to the other. Not too much of a computer whizz, but can be taught. SO, first I'm going to make sure that I can get this working on both laptops, with different external harddrives, even if they're not clones. Then if I get that working, I can EXPERIMENT to see if I can make them interchangeable. I know I have a ways to go, because as Koyote mentioned, one is recognized as F, and one as G, also one is recognized as MY BOOK, and the other is nothing. But like I said, I can EXPERIMENT with them, once I get them both working. Thanks, keep the information coming, as I'll need ALL the help I can get. I just have to make sure I don't screw around and mess both of them up. :shock: :shock:

Srnitynow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
srnitynow @ Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:44 pm wrote:
I'm currently in the process of transferring the folders from one harddrive to the other. Not too much of a computer whizz, but can be taught. SO, first I'm going to make sure that I can get this working on both laptops, with different external harddrives, even if they're not clones. Then if I get that working, I can EXPERIMENT to see if I can make them interchangeable. I know I have a ways to go, because as Koyote mentioned, one is recognized as F, and one as G, also one is recognized as MY BOOK, and the other is nothing. But like I said, I can EXPERIMENT with them, once I get them both working. Thanks, keep the information coming, as I'll need ALL the help I can get. I just have to make sure I don't screw around and mess both of them up. :shock: :shock:

Srnitynow

Hey Smity,

To give both drives the same name, simply go to my computer, right click over the dup drive and select RENAME. Name the drive the same name as your primary. Done.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:05 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
i did this to several external drives because i wanted to make sure i didn't lose my hard work.I plug in the external drive drag and drop,done