KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Vocal Health Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Vocal Health
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
ROFL I like you!!!!  Being as I'm a girl I'll skip the first two but I might be game for the third--wanna help?  LOL!!!!!

Hey, speaking of useless scientific studies a few years ago the University of Ohio did a study on how many times a sliding closet door can effectively be "slid" so they could find out the life expectancy.  OMGGGGGGGGGGGG, whose stupid idea was that lol

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
Quote:
Acute Management of the Zipper Entrapped (@$%&#!).

Never had to deal with that one.  :shock:  I guess being a gal has it's highlights.

Quote:
Transmission of Gonnorhea Through an Inflatable Doll.

Ummmm...... this one either. (do they MAKE male inflatable dolls?) haha, never had the need for one anyhow. (and...YUCK!! )

Quote:
Demonstration of the Exponential Decay Law Using Beer Froth.

Uh, I dunno what "expotential decay" is either. ??

So, why comment on these? Hahaha, I dunno, to be funny I reckon.

As to vocal health, I can say this:

If I let myself get "run down".... my voice shows it worse than any other part of my body. For instance, when my brothers come out for a visit..... I usually use that time to take my vacation from work, and I literally get NO sleep while they are here. Meals are always "whatever we can cram down our throats".... so we can do more important things..... and then I will start getting a sore throat. The "no sleep" and "no proper meals" wears on me, and by the time they go home, I deal with being hoarse until I get my sleep caught back up and take a bit better care of myself. It never fails to happen- anytime I get run down I do this. So I DO agree that all over good health can affect your voice.

:2cents:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:46 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Catseyeview @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 am wrote:
ROFL I like you!!!!  Being as I'm a girl I'll skip the first two but I might be game for the third--wanna help?  LOL!!!!!
:bouncer: Somebody likes me!  :bouncer:  Yep, I can do with some help.

ps, I saw the chick flick "something about Mary" on the plane yesterday, and that's where #1 comes in Acute Management of the Zipper Entrapped (@$%&#!).

Quote:
Hey, speaking of useless scientific studies a few years ago the University of Ohio did a study on how many times a sliding closet door can effectively be "slid" so they could find out the life expectancy.  OMGGGGGGGGGGGG, whose stupid idea was that lol
See, I told you, a load of BS, amazing, isn't it?

Quote:
Never had to deal with that one.    I guess being a gal has it's highlights.
Yeah yeah, go and have your fun. It might happen to us guys once a lifetime (we are quick learners) and you just quite happily keep your PMS :handshake: every month

Quote:
do they MAKE male inflatable dolls?
LOL Where do you come from?

Quote:
Uh, I dunno what "expotential decay" is either. ??
Catseyeview  and I are meeting up to test the results of the study. Come with and we'll explain it all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

ShyGuy @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:46 am wrote:
Yeah yeah, go and have your fun. It might happen to us guys once a lifetime (we are quick learners) and you just quite happily keep your PMS :handshake: every month

Well, getting your ying yang stuck would most likely make you whine...... getting PMS every month just helps build our "character".  LMAO Makes us tougher, we can handle pain easier...... and it gives us a hail of an excuse to biotch at our men over absolutely nothing for 5 days or so.  :dancin:  And THAT makes it worth it all.

Quote:
LOL Where do you come from?

Well, definately NOT where I need a blow up model. Rubber um, 1/4 model of a man, yeah- maybe once in a while.  :rotflmao:

Quote:
Catseyeview  and I are meeting up to test the results of the study. Come with and we'll explain it all.

If it involves drinking heavily of some Budweiser, I'm in.  :whistle:  But since YOU gave the invite then YOU can be responsible for my unladylike actions, LmAo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Okay, this is gonna sound really stupid, but, anyone in the mood to be stupid with me........

Hahaha, scroll down this page rather quickly, and you'll be doing a double take at those photos up there.  :shock:

Not what they at first appear to be.  :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:36 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lil Mizz Attitude @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:12 am wrote:
Hahaha, scroll down this page rather quickly, and you'll be doing a double take at those photos up there.  :shock:  Not what they at first appear to be.  :D

How would you know?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

ShyGuy @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:36 am wrote:
How would you know?

How would I know what?

That they are NOT that? Uh.... look closer.  LOL

How do I know what they DO look like? Seriously, my gosh, girls have mirrors too.

Now I'm behaving today, no more talk about "unladylike things". Nice girls don't discuss stuff like that.  :angel:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

LMFAO!!!

I KNOW!!

I went away for a while and thought I'd glance through a couple threads and was like

:shock:

do the mods KNOW those pics are up there?

funny how things become clearer when you actually READ the posts...... yah I'm smart like that :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yeah, I had already been here & read this thread before.

But glancing through it, and scrolling to get to the bottom of the page to catch up on the "latest"....... I really did a double take as I passed those pics, hahaha.

Yes, you MUST read the posts..... or you'd start blushing.  LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

ShyGuy @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:46 pm wrote:

Muahahahahahahaha, I love it when a plan comes together!!  What time ya pickin' me up Shyguy hehehe.

Hi Charmin!!!!  Check out the following link to read about exponential decay lol

http://www.mos.org/cst/article/4929/1.html

I need to tie a goodun on, just got done moving and I need the stress relief lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:15 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Oh yeah, forgot to mention--I'm a happy drunk  LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Who am I to dispute many in the medical profession.  This isn't a wives tale.  There's plenty of literature regarding this topic. "Drinking about eight 8 oz glasses of water a day" has been stated for a long time.  Most of us don't do it VERY true.  I don't have enough education on this area to even question it.

Quote:
Craig Meier, M.D.., family practice physician with Alegent Health Clinic.

Find out more about Dr. Meier

Q:  What are the benefits of drinking water?

A:  Water is a first line agent in my counseling of patients regarding weight loss and for numerous medical reasons. Water needs to be an essential part of one's diet. Most Americans do not consume the recommended quantity of eight 8 ounce glasses of water a day.

There's more written on the pro's of this quantity of daily water consumption, than the con's. (I suppose drinking from the East River, or Hudson River however isn't the best idea).  

The vocalist often exerts themselves.  I don't qualify to dispute quantities regarding "how much one should hydrate themselves under various conditions".  "More than 7 glasses" is a low average quantity regarding studies where ANY element of prolonged physical or athletic exertion takes place. In the cases of Opera singers, what they often put their bodies thru is compared to the workout athletes exert on their bodies.  Personally, as stated, I don't know the facts regarding water intake.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 34
Been Liked: 9 times
I do agree that health neglect wreaks havoc on the vocals. Here's my scenario.......I get about 4 hours of toss and turn sleep before getting ready to work a 15 hour day, all the while knowing that I've been anticipating the end of this particular 15 hour work day so I can attend karaoke night. I drag my arse into the hotel, check in, make my way to my room, avoid eating my dinner until 3 am after the karaoke stuff, get out of my work threads, shower/shave etc..., re-dress, somehow recover some adrenalin induced energy to walk back down the hall to the karaoke show, hit the bar for a beer first because I'm thirsty as hell, practically chug the first beer, then stroll up to the kj booth to make my introduction, all the while feeling like my tongue is a sheet of sandpaper, then go back to the bar for another beer because I'm still thirsty as hell, then, I sit down somewhere and almost start falling asleep, or I'm getting tipsy because I drank my beer so fast, but I know the beer is going to help my dry mouth temporarily so I'll be able to try to sing, I might stop the girl carrying the tray of jello shooters and slurp down a couple of those to further enhance my courage to get up and sing, and then, my name is called and I'm feeling invincible at this point and I usually give a helluva performance. :newlol:
But without this temporary fix, I don't think I could've squeaked out a decent note of any kind.

And knowing that I could avoid all of this drinking alcohol as a temporary means for hydration by getting enough rest, quitting smoking, eating properly, drinking plenty of clean, clear water, (man's best friend when it comes to overall health and well-being), pretty much says that I'm taking this life thing for granted.....not good.  :(
I recently tried to quit smoking one day...I went for 13 hours without a smoke at all, but at the end of the day when I was settling in for the night, I ruined it. I couldn't stand it any longer...I had 1 cigarette before going to sleep, then I couldn't sleep. The next morning, I had 1 more cigarette, and from then on, I fell off the wagon.  :(
For a 2 pack a day smoker, 13 hours was astonishing will-power my friends, but, I'm actually weak. I know one thing though, I felt soooo much better throughout the day that I didn't smoke. I actually felt the fresh air I was breathing, and I could smell second-hand smoke from a mile away....it smelled so good. :newlol:
I had more energy, and I don't drink any caffeinated beverages at all any longer...it took a toll on my nervous system so I gave that up a year ago. I don't think I've ever realized how life itself is a natural high. I want to continue my efforts on this stop smoking thing.

So yes, this thread is an eye opener to me atleast....that if I want to live and continue to do the things I like, I better get serious about my overall health , or I can just kiss the singing enjoyment goodbye.

Thanks Kappy for the wake-up call here....you are appreciated. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Perry, Alcohol and Caffeine are both quite dehydrating.  I forgot what the conversion is, yet for every cup of coffee a person drinks, I believe they are supposed to drink a couple glasses of water... Something along those lines... Someone who's done more with dietary stuff would have a better idea what the ratio is...  Yet the singer who's working out (needless to say) has an increased respiratory rate, and I suppose would increase their metabolic rate.. Depending on climate, and temperatures....Makes sense that alcohol (although it relaxes a person enough to make them feel like singing), also would deplete the person of liquids, not to mention throw off electrolytic balance somewhat if a person doesn't replenish what they deplete..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Here's more from Mayo Clinic. Talks about the "8x8 rule"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is 1.5 liters a day. You lose close to an additional liter of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups), along with your normal diet, you can replace the lost fluids.

Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Though this approach isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this basic rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men consume 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. These guidelines are based on national food surveys that assessed people's average fluid intakes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Catseyeview @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 pm wrote:
ShyGuy @ Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:46 pm wrote:

Muahahahahahahaha, I love it when a plan comes together!!  What time ya pickin' me up Shyguy hehehe.

Hi Charmin!!!!  Check out the following link to read about exponential decay lol

http://www.mos.org/cst/article/4929/1.html

I need to tie a goodun on, just got done moving and I need the stress relief lol

Okay, done. TY for the link. Did I learn something while I was there? Uh.... suuuure.  I drink my beer from a long neck.... I don't like cans, and I don't like tap.  I don't like foam. Heck, my drink of choice is usually vodka anyhow. But I do drink Bedweiser on occasion.

So, if you get ready to "tie one on" Cat, gimme a call.  LOL  It's been much too long for me, and I could handle a night out to unwind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lil Mizz Attitude @ Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 am wrote:
 Heck, my drink of choice is usually vodka anyhow. But I do drink Bedweiser on occasion.

And what is Bedweiser?  LMAO  Hahaha, I just love when I type like a freakin' idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:19 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Songs: 3
Lil Mizz Attitude @ Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 am wrote:
Lil Mizz Attitude @ Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 am wrote:
 Heck, my drink of choice is usually vodka anyhow. But I do drink Bedweiser on occasion.

And what is Bedweiser?  LMAO  Hahaha, I just love when I type like a freakin' idiot.

Wishful thinking???  Wishful drinking??   LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

SingingSquid @ Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:19 am wrote:
Wishful thinking???  Wishful drinking??   LMAO

LMAO  Maybe so, Dave, maybe so.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:41 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Doesn't it amaze you sometimes what these physicists and other way too smart for their own good people do with their time rofl.  I reckon they figgered the beer foam analogy was something us ordinary dummies could relate to lol.

Hey Charmin, I'm an Absolut gal myself but Ketel One is purty darn good too!!  And if ya want smooth Grey Goose is tres smoooooooooooooth!!!  Not that I drink enough of the stuff to know these kinda things ya understand hehehehe.