KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Benefits of post-corona karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
zeke wrote:
I realize many of you are seeped in negativity, especially when you are being told your livelihoods are in danger of being permanently cancelled and if it ever returns you'll have to start worrying about keeping microphones sanitary and policing drunken people into respecting social distancing rules, on top of the usual headaches that come with running a show. That sucks! But after coronavirus ravages the obese, the immuno-compromised, the elder populations, and the death and pestilence we all know is coming decimates our friends and families... perhaps a day will come when we all dry our tears of lamentation, reach herd immunity, put aside our fear, and smile as we behold a brand new karaoke world with some surprising benefits, such as...

No more paper song books. These things are filthy, out of date from what's actually in the KJ's library, and take up a lot of space. Online catalogs are not that hard to do technically, and yet most KJs don't seem to do them, and if they do they usually suck (thinking Songbooks Online). Perhaps in a post-corona world, online catalog solutions may be in much more in demand and the quality of these solutions should go up as the grime-covered binder full of songs goes digital.

I suppose I don't need to come up with more since everybody is this forum is so depressed and negative. As for me, I look forward to a new Karaoke Golden Age, just around the corner, and if some of you survive maybe you'll get to experience it too..

And what is wrong with Songbooks Online. It's one of the better ones out there. Connects directly into Compuhost. One of the few ones that allows singers to place themselves into the rotation without the aid of the host. Also will give you the rotation so that you know where you are plus messages you when you're next. The only reason why I am choosing OpenKJ Songbook is that I can list the full catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version in my list. It slightly fixes one flaw that I do see in Songbooks Online and that is how to ask for a song not in the library. Is it the best method, actually both Songbookdb and Siglos has the best method. But neither one of them will keep the kiosk tablet that I use open and usable for the entire show. I use a Tablet Kiosk for people who don't have smartphones. I provide wipes for cleaning between use, this up to the individual user but I will personally recommend it to them to wipe the screen before using it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
zeke wrote:
I realize many of you are seeped in negativity, especially when you are being told your livelihoods are in danger of being permanently cancelled and if it ever returns you'll have to start worrying about keeping microphones sanitary and policing drunken people into respecting social distancing rules, on top of the usual headaches that come with running a show. That sucks! But after coronavirus ravages the obese, the immuno-compromised, the elder populations, and the death and pestilence we all know is coming decimates our friends and families... perhaps a day will come when we all dry our tears of lamentation, reach herd immunity, put aside our fear, and smile as we behold a brand new karaoke world with some surprising benefits, such as...

I suppose I don't need to come up with more since everybody is this forum is so depressed and negative. As for me, I look forward to a new Karaoke Golden Age, just around the corner, and if some of you survive maybe you'll get to experience it too..

:!: So let me get this straight we are supposed to endure a pandemic, thinning out the herd, which happen to be loved one's, crashing the economy all to reach some sort of new Karaoke Golden Age? I hate to tell you this Zeke but the Golden Age of Karaoke at least for hosts was some time ago. Where a host could make $300.00 or better a night, with little competition, and if you were good you were turning jobs away, because you couldn't do them all. Those days are gone, and will probably never return. Especially now since many of the old venues will be destroyed with the collapse of the economy. Hosts have a good reason to be depressed and negative, they can no longer do their jobs, without running the risk of becoming a public health menace. When we actually get to the place this virus is taking us, due to poor leadership, we will all be different people longing for the good old days for sometime. Then if there is a vaccine, we might crank up the old machines if they work, take a long drink, and think about the good old pre- virus days.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:24 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Quote:
And what is wrong with Songbooks Online. It's one of the better ones out there. Connects directly into Compuhost. One of the few ones that allows singers to place themselves into the rotation without the aid of the host. Also will give you the rotation so that you know where you are plus messages you when you're next. The only reason why I am choosing OpenKJ Songbook is that I can list the full catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version in my list. It slightly fixes one flaw that I do see in Songbooks Online and that is how to ask for a song not in the library. Is it the best method, actually both Songbookdb and Siglos has the best method. But neither one of them will keep the kiosk tablet that I use open and usable for the entire show. I use a Tablet Kiosk for people who don't have smartphones. I provide wipes for cleaning between use, this up to the individual user but I will personally recommend it to them to wipe the screen before using it.

First off, you are being charged $12.50-$20 a month for Songbooks Online. That's fine if it's worth it to you for the Compuhost integration, I like that feature, especially since it allows a key change. But that's still pretty pricey if all you really need is a place to allow people to search your library on their phone, which most KJs don't seem to provide.

Next, the searching on Songbooks Online has issues. The host I know who uses it, it won't search the full title of the song, there seems to be a bug where the title gets chopped at about 40 characters, so I have had to go look on his Compuhost to be able to find some of the songs in his library with long titles. For example, searching for 'dragging' will not return "05 STEVIE NICKS & TOM PETTY STOP DRAGGI" even though CompuHost has the full title of the song.

There are a variety of sporadic issues I've seen with it. Such as logging in and nothing works, occasional javascript errors, the performers list not working sometimes, etc. Not to mention the styling looks like a 1990s geocities website. It could certainly use some competition.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:37 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

zeke wrote:
Quote:

First off, you are being charged $12.50-$20 a month for Songbooks Online. That's fine if it's worth it to you for the Compuhost integration, I like that feature, especially since it allows a key change. But that's still pretty pricey if all you really need is a place to allow people to search your library on their phone, which most KJs don't seem to provide.

Next, the searching on Songbooks Online has issues. The host I know who uses it, it won't search the full title of the song, there seems to be a bug where the title gets chopped at about 40 characters, so I have had to go look on his Compuhost to be able to find some of the songs in his library with long titles. For example, searching for 'dragging' will not return "05 STEVIE NICKS & TOM PETTY STOP DRAGGI" even though CompuHost has the full title of the song.

There are a variety of sporadic issues I've seen with it. Such as logging in and nothing works, occasional javascript errors, the performers list not working sometimes, etc. Not to mention the styling looks like a 1990s geocities website. It could certainly use some competition.

I only pay 9.99 for OpenKJ Songbook and have access to a kiosk app as well as my singers having their own personal app for themselves. As to versions, that's left up to me since the request doesn't go completely into the player itself but to a receiver built into the OpenKJ player. I could if I want use the standalone version and use whatever player that I want to use as well. It's just faster getting into the database through OpenKJ player, which by the way happens to have the most versatile background music player out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
zeke wrote:
Quote:

I only pay 9.99 for OpenKJ Songbook and have access to a kiosk app as well as my singers having their own personal app for themselves. As to versions, that's left up to me since the request doesn't go completely into the player itself but to a receiver built into the OpenKJ player. I could if I want use the standalone version and use whatever player that I want to use as well. It's just faster getting into the database through OpenKJ player, which by the way happens to have the most versatile background music player out there.
Danny, why pay $120 a year for a subscription when you can use CompuHost's Remote Request System with NO monthly charges. It works great with kiosk, tablet, or smart phone. I love using it and best of all, no monthly fee. Singers have access to your song library and can send you their song requests including key change wirelessly from anywhere in the room.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Again, because of the virus, I want as little air breathed in me as possible. Both the kiosk and Songbooks Online do not offer any way for singers to ask for songs that are not available in my library. OpenKJ has the ability to offer the complete catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version so if the song that they select is not in my library I can search the legal download sites for the song in question.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Again, because of the virus, I want as little air breathed in me as possible. Both the kiosk and Songbooks Online do not offer any way for singers to ask for songs that are not available in my library. OpenKJ has the ability to offer the complete catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version so if the song that they select is not in my library I can search the legal download sites for the song in question.

... or, you can simply say: I'm sorry but I don't have that song.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

... or, you can simply say: I'm sorry but I don't have that song.

And lose that singer to the show down the road. No thanks. I will continue to offer buy on the fly services just in a no contact way through the kiosk. It's worth the monthly Subscription fee in my opinion. Cost of doing business. If I did it otherwise, I would be a cheapskate.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
And lose that singer to the show down the road. No thanks.

I do not get songs on the fly and have never lost a singer to another show. If they truly like you, they're not going anywhere. If they ask for a song that I don't have, I tell them I'll have it for next weeks show... and they are fine with this.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Then you don't get the real millenials. They only care if you have their songs that night. If not they go where the host will get them.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:40 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
Then you don't get the real millenials. They only care if you have their songs that night. If not they go where the host will get them.

Those damn millenials, huh? Not sure how things will go in a post-corona world, but I think the best approach for getting new songs is to tell the person that you don't have the song but you would be willing to buy the download online, and maybe hint that a tip would be appreciated. If a KJ downloads a song for me I am much more likely to tip them knowing I cost them money, rather than if I am using a kiosk that makes it appear that the KJ already had that song.

That said, I have never seen anyone get upset at a KJ not having a song and walk out. But the KJs I know have tens of thousands of songs, so it's just a matter of redirecting them to other songs by that artist or whatever. I could see this happening with a KJ who only has a few hundred songs, if every song you asked for wasn't in the library so you just gave up and left.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

zeke wrote:
Quote:

Those damn millenials, huh? Not sure how things will go in a post-corona world, but I think the best approach for getting new songs is to tell the person that you don't have the song but you would be willing to buy the download online, and maybe hint that a tip would be appreciated. If a KJ downloads a song for me I am much more likely to tip them knowing I cost them money, rather than if I am using a kiosk that makes it appear that the KJ already had that song.

That said, I have never seen anyone get upset at a KJ not having a song and walk out. But the KJs I know have tens of thousands of songs, so it's just a matter of redirecting them to other songs by that artist or whatever. I could see this happening with a KJ who only has a few hundred songs, if every song you asked for wasn't in the library so you just gave up and left.

Answer this question truthfully, which show would you be more likely to go to a) I am sorry but I don't have that song but I will have it for you next week or b) the one where unbeknownst to you the host didn't originally have it but was able to buy download and play it for you that night.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:58 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
Answer this question truthfully, which show would you be more likely to go to a) I am sorry but I don't have that song but I will have it for you next week or b) the one where unbeknownst to you the host didn't originally have it but was able to buy download and play it for you that night.

I really do appreciate when a KJ is willing to download songs they don't have. Many will just say they don't have it and that's the end of it. Song downloads probably help to bring in younger people because there are some shows where you can't get a single song that is newer than 10 years old, but I tend to prefer the older stuff.

Other important factors of a good show, for me:
    - Good sound
    - Not too many singers, but not completely dead
    - Good library of songs (Soundchoice, please)
    - The audience vibe
    - The personality of the KJ!

In all honestly, I hope coronavirus doesn't make karaoke entirely an impersonal kiosk/phone based experience, something where you don't talk to the KJ at all. The KJ makes or breaks the show. I just think it's nice to be able to search the library and see what songs are there without taking up the KJs time, and I hope that more KJs provide that service in the future.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

zeke wrote:
Quote:

I really do appreciate when a KJ is willing to download songs they don't have. Many will just say they don't have it and that's the end of it. Song downloads probably help to bring in younger people because there are some shows where you can't get a single song that is newer than 10 years old, but I tend to prefer the older stuff.

Other important factors of a good show, for me:
    - Good sound
    - Not too many singers, but not completely dead
    - Good library of songs (Soundchoice, please)
    - The audience vibe
    - The personality of the KJ!

In all honestly, I hope coronavirus doesn't make karaoke entirely an impersonal kiosk/phone based experience, something where you don't talk to the KJ at all. The KJ makes or breaks the show. I just think it's nice to be able to search the library and see what songs are there without taking up the KJs time, and I hope that more KJs provide that service in the future.

Not every new to karaoke song is a song that was just released on the radio. Some are older songs that have gotten requested that may not have made it to karaoke yet. My list has thousands of songs in my library plus all the latest releases on karaoke that you can get legally. I refuse to use You Tube for songs period. If the singers leave because of that I don't mind but if I can get them for legal download instantly I am going to do so. Part of the reason why I want as little contact is that I can't afford to bring the virus back to my house because my roommate has a double whammy, she's over 60 and is battling cancer.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Forgot to mention that OpenKJ Songbook kiosk can be set up and running before the rest of the equipment and singers can start signing up once it's up and running.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I would think kiosks, as cool as they are at a karaoke show, would not be a good idea in the post-corona world. It is said that COVID-19 can live on surfaces for days (https://www.healthline.com/health/how-l ... t-surfaces).

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Forgot to mention that OpenKJ Songbook kiosk can be set up and running before the rest of the equipment and singers can start signing up once it's up and running.

Yeah, the whole kiosk idea has just become a lot worse of an idea than it already was. This is one of the things that will probably disappear in large numbers from the karaoke world. I never liked the idea of forcing singers to get up from their seats anyway, but now the singers will also look at it as a health risk. You can clean a mic between singers but I don't see you sanitizing a keyboard after each use.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
...and the benefit in post-corona karaoke is that it's one less computer you will need to keep, maintain, and carry to every show.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

zeke wrote:
I would think kiosks, as cool as they are at a karaoke show, would not be a good idea in the post-corona world. It is said that COVID-19 can live on surfaces for days (https://www.healthline.com/health/how-l ... t-surfaces).

My kiosk is a tablet. The keyboard is built into the tablet. One only needs to sanitize the screen which I intend to do. A kiosk is absolutely necessary for those who have smartphones or those who don't have smartphones will be denied access to singing at my shows. I don't intend to shut out those who don't want to own smartphones because they intimidate them.

Attachments:
File comment: This is my kiosk.
20200512_192954.jpg
20200512_192954.jpg [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 23688 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:34 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I have only seen a kiosk at a few shows, and the KJ did have to come up and help out most people that were trying to use it for the first time. Many people are not great at learning a new technology, in a noisy bar, especially when drinking. A lot of karaoke software itself seems particularly dated and hard to use.

If I was a KJ, and I wanted to avoid people post-corona, I would probably put my catalog online on a website, and just tell people to browse to it on their phone, and then text me their name and the song they want to sing. No software to install, and people of all technical levels can handle texting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next