KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Would you go back to karaoke... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Lonman wrote:
UV isn't going to do anything effectively, in the amount of time needed to fully sanitize a mic of everything. Most of the 'medical' grade ones i've researched state approx 15-30 minutes MIN plus the light only kills what it hits, the other side of the mic (unless you are using a really good dual bulb system) doesn't get touched and a reflective surface isn't as effective as the actual light. Plus it will not get into nooks/crannies/cracks of the mic either. The kj's using and touting them as 100% effective are just blowing smoke up their customers arses!

Lonnie, once again... I am here to offer you a valuable suggestion. Since you don't like the UV Sterilizers on the market, why don't you make your own?

I mean since you're not doing karaoke right now, and you have all this extra time on your hands, I say go for it. Just get some quarter inch pine wood or particle board and make a box that will fit at least 2 mics. You can also make a hinged top for it. Then...

Get some UV strip lights and put them on the top, bottom, and sides. Find a way to suspend the mics in the center so they're not laying directly on the bottom of the box. And you will have complete coverage from all angles. A custom UV sterilizer just for mics.

Now, I admit, I'm not good with building things so... why don't you make several. I would buy one from you and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

So get right on it and change the karaoke singing world. Yes, I know you're grateful for my awesome suggestion, but don't thank me... I'm just too happy to help. Keep us informed of your progress. Looking forward to seeing the final result and purchasing one from you.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Would something like this work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233560361697

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Would something like this work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233560361697

I'm not sure about that, Danny. I've been considering this one for myself...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0861 ... 03JV&psc=1

It's got 12 UV lights on top and 12 on the bottom for a total of 24 UV LED lights. And is has a metal rack that raises your mics up so you're not placing them on the bottom. So if you place your mics on it, the light will hit the top and bottom of the mic. So basically the entire mic will be sanitized with no dead spots. It's the best one that I've seen but it is a little expensive but then again, it's got more light and better coverage than most. I like it.

Attachments:
61orvf-ylwL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
61orvf-ylwL._AC_SL1200_.jpg [ 71.77 KiB | Viewed 25616 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
The UV light will also hit those spots in between the mic screen holes that won't get reached when wiping with cloth and disinfectant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Found it for cheaper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303528971336

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
like Lonnie said, it takes at the bare minimum, for medical grade lights, 15-30 minutes to work. it does not disinfect any places the light does not touch, so after that half hour, you have to move the mic to get the places that were in shadows and do it for another run. plus the areas in the grill will only partly be exposed to the light, some can not be exposed unless you take the mic apart after each singer. it is just not practical for karaoke. then add in the damage that regular sunlight causes to plastics (like the handles on most microphones), take into consideration that the UV lamps are more concentrated with hiogher levels of UV radiation, and it is really bad in a short time without getting results.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
like Lonnie said, it takes at the bare minimum, for medical grade lights, 15-30 minutes to work. it does not disinfect any places the light does not touch, so after that half hour, you have to move the mic to get the places that were in shadows and do it for another run. plus the areas in the grill will only partly be exposed to the light, some can not be exposed unless you take the mic apart after each singer. it is just not practical for karaoke. then add in the damage that regular sunlight causes to plastics (like the handles on most microphones), take into consideration that the UV lamps are more concentrated with hiogher levels of UV radiation, and it is really bad in a short time without getting results.

I somewhat disagree with this. Aside from microphones, this box can sterilize, cell phones, car keys, baby bottles, remotes, and just about anything you can fit inside of it. The tray raises the items placed inside so you're getting light from the top and bottom. No need to flip anything.

While this may not be medical grade, I believe it will be effective to some degree. Probably more so than using alcohol to sterilize your mics since the UV light will be able to get better into the screen. It says that this device will kill 99.9%.
So I feel anything you can do will be helpful. So, I will be using a combination of foam microphone covers, alcohol as a sanitizer, and UV. Maybe I'll just use the UV as a supplement once or twice an hour in addition to the alcohol.

And Danny, good job on the ebay thing. That's where I'll be getting it from.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:54 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Has not just about everybody on this planet got the flu at one time or another regardless of whether they have been vaccinated or not? The person that has not is rare or lying.

We are all going to get this at some time or another. This year some are calling it the China or CCP or Wuhan Virus. What will it be called next year? It will mutate like viruses do. It will remain a coronavirus, just a mutated version of the coronavirus known as COVID19.

I would not be surprised if it becomes an expected yearly occurrence, with fewer casualties.

I forgot to add, I had it. Got over it at home. Took a lot of Vitamin C, Vit D3, Zinc Picolinate along with quinine (Tonic water) and Selenium Picolinate. All virologists know that 3 things are needed for a strong immune system. Proper nutrition, good water source, and adequate sleep. If any one of those are missing a body is at risk and a weakened immune system is expected.

The symptoms of this virus mimic a Zinc Deficiency. Please, look it up. While you are at it also look up that Zinc Deficiencies run in the older age groups. The Zinc Picolinate along with Tonic Water to carry it into the cell (permeate the cell wall) sure helped this soon to be 70 yr old man.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/03/bil ... eficiency/

https://www.todaysgeriatricmedicine.com ... 3113.shtml

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
I do want to make clear about my earlier post that I do not subscribe to either lew rockwell or geriatrics medicines sites. They were found doing a search while I was sick.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:? This is not your father's flu, it is a pandemic, the first real one since the Spanish Flu over a century ago. That one wiped out 5% of the world's population/100 million people. It is highly contagious, easily transmitted, so trying to make it less than it is, is simply not accepting science or the facts. If you feel you want to risk your life all well and good, you shouldn't assume the risk for others, that has to be made by each individual. We are going to have to change the way we do business, minus an effective vaccine. 80% of the population doesn't want to go out, and really who is going to make them? Even if AG Barr says it is house arrest!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:? This is not your father's flu, it is a pandemic, the first real one since the Spanish Flu over a century ago. That one wiped out 5% of the world's population/100 million people. It is highly contagious, easily transmitted, so trying to make it less than it is, is simply not accepting science or the facts. If you feel you want to risk your life all well and good, you shouldn't assume the risk for others, that has to be made by each individual. We are going to have to change the way we do business, minus an effective vaccine. 80% of the population doesn't want to go out, and really who is going to make them? Even if AG Barr says it is house arrest!

Unlike the 1918 pandemic, we will have effective drugs quickly. There's already progress on new drugs that will be available shortly. There are so many differences between the 1918 pandemic and today. We have so much more knowledge and resources. 1918 was the perfect storm. They didn't know how it was spreading and a world war was going on. You couldn't ask for a worse scenario. Completely different story today. Just the internet alone will help contain this with the instant communication. Yes, many will still die, but sadly, the final numbers (maybe well into next year) are predicted to come mostly from third world countries. Africa has it much worse. Not only is coronavirus starting to ramp up, they also found that Ebola is resurging. Add in the fact that there is a huge plague of locusts across the continent that is going to seriously hurt their food supply as well. It's another perfect storm scenario.

I'm just saying try to keep things in perspective. Not only because we are in the richest country in the world, but also because we have 2020 technology. Things could be a LOT worse.

I'm more concerned for KJs careers. It seems far more of their jobs will die than KJs dying from coronavirus. The karaoke industry as a whole is going to have to fight as hard as the bars and restaurants that hire you. Both involve normally germ spreading activities, and they will have to change how they do things for the foreseeable future. Some of you will give up and throw away your singing mics and just call yourselves DJs again. For singers like myself who truly love singing their favorite songs on a couple beers in front of a room full of complete strangers, our job is going to be uphill in keeping it alive. As far as my career goes, if karaoke dies, I can always go back to working as a programmer in the corporate world and make good living at it. However, the singer in me won't be ok. The singer in me is really pissed right now that I can't go out and do the one public activity I've enjoyed most since discovering it 19 years ago. I really miss it. I hate that I can still walk into Walmart and do normal Walmart activities, but yet I can't go into places like Harvey's and see my friend Galen the KJ, or go to Captain's and see my friend Nick the KJ, and all the other people and places associated with my favorite hobby.

As a singer, I beg every KJ (who's not a high risk candidate) to not be afraid. When you're legally able to in your region, go back out there and start your shows without fear. Go out there and show the world that our favorite hobby can be safe. Disinfect your mics between singers. Display instructions to the crowd about singing safe and not letting the mic touch their mouth. Let the crowds see that you care about their safety, but most importantly, let the singers know you're still there for them. They appreciate you more than you know. The bar and restaurant owners are also missing the crowds you attracted. You help a lot of people and a lot of people rely on you.

...and turn up the volume a little louder to make up for the months of silence :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: Under the best of circumstances a vaccine will not be available at the earliest until next Spring. That means we will have to endure flu season this year, the only way to have a chance is not to give up, as you put it, and continue to practice social distancing, plus all of the other steps outlined in the Federal guidelines. The biggest problem will be convincing the public it is safe to go out. 80% of those polled both Republican and Democrat, Red and Blue, say it is not. Not without the testing and contact tracing that is required. Many business's if they reopen can only do so at a quarter of their former capacity. Probably not enough of a profit margin to keep open, surely not enough to pay for entertainment. This might just be the beginning of the new abnormal?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
As a singer, I beg every KJ (who's not a high risk candidate) to not be afraid. When you're legally able to in your region, go back out there and start your shows without fear. Go out there and show the world that our favorite hobby can be safe. Disinfect your mics between singers. Display instructions to the crowd about singing safe and not letting the mic touch their mouth. Let the crowds see that you care about their safety, but most importantly, let the singers know you're still there for them. They appreciate you more than you know. The bar and restaurant owners are also missing the crowds you attracted. You help a lot of people and a lot of people rely on you.

...and turn up the volume a little louder to make up for the months of silence :)

Your advice directly improves and boosts my confidence level. I can barely wait when this pandemic is over so I can implement the guidance you posted i.e., "new rules for singers to follow." Thanks.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:47 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Wonder how many states are going to not allow karaoke at all for a while. Oregon just outlined a reopening draft stating that along with no pool or bowling. Bars must close by 10pm

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: You can bet Lonnie that as usual when things come back on line, entertainment will be at the tail end of the parade. The focus will be on basic services and build from there. It might be a long time before airplanes, hotels and cruise ships are at full capacity, some might go the way of the dinosaur. We probably won't go back to the old normal, but rather morph into what is being called "The New Abnormal".

P.S. I'm waiting to see how many of the marginal non-profits will close and not reopen, they were on the fringe anyway? The local American Legion, Moose Lodge, VFW, Elk Lodge, and Eagles, were all just getting by. Not to mention local bars and eateries, that can only work at 25% of their listed capacity. One other thing that has not been addressed, the legal liability of business's and non-profits that reopen patrons become sick, and die? Also if workers can sue business's or the government for opening too soon?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

In CT, the plan is a 4 step that starts with any restaurant or bar being able to open their outdoor patios at first.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:45 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
One other thing that has not been addressed, the legal liability of business's and non-profits that reopen patrons become sick, and die? Also if workers can sue business's or the government for opening too soon?
You bring up a very good point LR and as you've mentioned, no one has addressed this issue. With the sue happy mentality I wouldn't doubt it that people will bring up lawsuits.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

bazinga wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
One other thing that has not been addressed, the legal liability of business's and non-profits that reopen patrons become sick, and die? Also if workers can sue business's or the government for opening too soon?
You bring up a very good point LR and as you've mentioned, no one has addressed this issue. With the sue happy mentality I wouldn't doubt it that people will bring up lawsuits.

Legal liability for germ spread is not a new legal concept. It's no different than if a patron gets the flu and dies. There are a ton of legal precedents already. The general rule boils down to negligence. If you can be proven to be negligent then it's a problem. If you're clearly trying to take reasonable measures and following all current laws and guidelines, you should be fine. The venue owners would take the brunt of liability anyway. Also, proving where you got a virus is tough, especially in a pandemic. If you got coronavirus today and died, the odds of being able to prove where you got it are a million to one. You should be more worried about getting it than being sued for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
Legal liability for germ spread is not a new legal concept. It's no different than if a patron gets the flu and dies. There are a ton of legal precedents already. The general rule boils down to negligence. If you can be proven to be negligent then it's a problem. If you're clearly trying to take reasonable measures and following all current laws and guidelines, you should be fine. The venue owners would take the brunt of liability anyway. Also, proving where you got a virus is tough, especially in a pandemic. If you got coronavirus today and died, the odds of being able to prove where you got it are a million to one. You should be more worried about getting it than being sued for it.

In my state they have already tracked down where some people contracted COVID-19, so a million to one is far fetched.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

bazinga wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:

In my state they have already tracked down where some people contracted COVID-19, so a million to one is far fetched.

But they haven't had to prove it in a court of law, and the burden of proof in a court of law is much higher. All contact tracing used to determine contact point is all "best educated guess" at best, and it works great for tracking down general spread, but it wouldn't pass the "beyond a reasonable doubt" test in a specific allegation. Until the day comes where we have video with septillion pixel resolution and we can literally watch a virus jump from one person to another, reasonable doubt will always exist. I challenge you to find a case anywhere where specific virus spread during a pandemic was proven in a court of law in a civil case. You may find it in a criminal case where someone intentionally infected another person, because motive plays a factor in the judgement. However, in a civil liability case, it would only work if you could prove that the virus was only at that specific establishment. During a pandemic, it's anywhere and everywhere, so you have no case. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, but unless you live in a place where the jury could potentially be made up of complete idiots, you've got nothing to worry about. Like I said, it boils down to negligence. The most they can prove is negligence. So, as long as you and the venue employees are following all guidelines and laws, and aren't blatantly licking the microphones or doing anything crazy, I think you're pretty safe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next