KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Charmin_Gibson wrote:
Wow, times have changed. I haven't been out in the karaoke world for a couple of minutes, but I would never have imagined seeing a KJ ask a singer to stop singing because they were bad. (Drunk & obnoxious-yes, but naturally bad-no.)

No one is talking about cutting off a singer because he/she is bad. We all have bad singers. But... when you have a singer that is so bad that other customers (singers and non singers) are leaving, it's time to do something. No bar owner wants to lose business because people are walking out because of a really bad singer. So, in this case, I choose to get rid of the bad singer as opposed to having good customers walk and the bar lose money.

Remember, this is a business. Our job is to bring in customers, keep them coming back, and make the bar money. And sometimes in order to do that, we just gotta do what we gotta do.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Charmin_Gibson wrote:
Karaoke is not a concert, it's a hobby. Yes, yes, I realize KJs make their money that way. But geez. Anyone sitting in the audience expecting a free professional concert is in the wrong place.

The places I used to habit...if a bad singer were asked to step out of rotation JUST because they couldn't sing? You'd have lost every single singer in the place.

Some of these posts are UNbelievable. The bar is paying you...but those singers are your bread and butter. All of them.

I concur with Charmin_G. Karaoke is as bad as it gets, but that’s why it’s so good and entertaining. 8)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Frankspeare wrote:
I'm interested in the topic as well. I've wondered if we could create a system where unpopular singers could be weighted, based upon audience interest, so that poor singers at least get to sing less.

There is a benefit I have noticed from bad singers, I've seen it embolden OK singers who felt that if that person didn't get rotten tomatoes, then surely they were passable. So this was a positive which came from it.

Screw that. Equals playing favorites. If you can't or won't give every singer equal time per rotation, you need to get your butt out of the business. It's not how good the singer is but how much fun every singer has and it's not fun being skipped in the rotation fir any reason.

Danny, it's not just about fun, it's about business. If I had a really bad singer that was driving customers away, guess who's going? I'm not going to lose good customers because of one bad apple. So, that bad apple is gone.

Well, scenario: bad singer is always paying a huge tab while all of the good singers are drinking water or soda, who uou gonna chase out now?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Consider this,most good singers do not require liquid courage to get up to sing. Bad singers, even those who know they're bad singers need all the liquid courage to even attempt it. So given that info, who would make the better customer? I say the bad singer. Who cares if they chase the good singing water drinkers away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

When dealing with the bad singer, you just got to add to your patter the fact the singers always sound better the mire drunk you get.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
When dealing with the bad singer, you just got to add to your patter the fact the singers always sound better the mire drunk you get.

i use this a lot. every time my bartenders sing i remind people to "give it up for XXX singing and serving up the drinks that make us sound fantastic....it really works... have her get you a few and see for yourself."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

All of my bartenders/waitresses sing as well. And every one of them is amazing. I could listen to them sing all night.

The really bad singers, the ones who make customers run for the doors, have no business singing. And as a host, you have no business allowing that to happen.

I'm talking to one bar about an exclusive "karaoke club". Where singers need to audition to be in it. Only the best singers will make it. Once you qualify, you're given a membership card that allows you to sing at our show. No one else will be allowed to sing, only members.

Now, why is this great? Because it eliminates bad singers. Just think, a night of karaoke where all the singers will sound awesome.

Sorry, but I've been doing this long enough and maybe at first I thought the bad singer thing was cute but now... I'm sick of listening to the wieners, the screamers, the ones that shouldn't be within 100 feet of a microphone.

Exclusive karaoke clubs are the answer. If you're not good, you're not in. Amen.

This would be so good for the bar and it's customers because now, the people who don't come in because they hate karaoke for the stated reasons, can now come in and actually enjoy the show since every singer will sound great. A boon for business.

Yes, my idea of an exclusive karaoke club can revolutionize karaoke nights. It's a win win situation for the bar, it's customers and the singers. And when word gets out, I'm willing to bet that people are going to go to the bar where all the singers are awesome instead of every other place that has the bad singers.

Love it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
mods can do as they wish with this...
you Alan, are a total douche bag and need to find a new job.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
mods can do as they wish with this...

Wow! Just wow! First of all, I don't need a new job. I've been successfully hosting karaoke for 25 years and continue to receive compliments from customers and bar owners.

With that said...

Tell me... How many people actually enjoy listening to bad singers?

The customers don't, the bar owners don't, and I don't. It's what gives karaoke a bad name. Many people don't come because of it and many people leave because of it.

At my show last night, I didn't have my normal amount of singers since many of them are on vacation but the ones I did have were all very good singers which made the night enjoyable. Isn't it a pleasure to listen to great singers all night? If you're answer is no, you must be an idiot.

But let's be clear...

Like everyone else, I also have my share of bad singers. And I've never told any of them that they couldn't sing. The only time I would take action would be if a singer was so bad that he/she was causing customers to leave. And we don't want this type of singer to make it so intolerable that people leave.

So, do I like bad singers... NO. Do I tolerate it... YES.

Remember, the topic of this thread is "Bad Singers - Where Do You Draw The Line?" Again, we all have our share of bad singers but I'm specifically talking about the ones who drive away good paying customers because they can't tolerate it. Personally, I would rather lose the one bad singer than several good paying customers. This type of singer is contributing nothing to your show and only making it miserable for everyone. And this has nothing to do whether or not you like them or how nice of a person they are. Business is business.

I still say a karaoke club would be a great alternative.

This is a subject that every one of us here deals with? After all, this is a karaoke forum and the place for this type of discussion. Sorry if this is too controversial for you. If you don't share my views, fine but don't condemn me for mine.

Last edited by Alan B on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Mods, I think that this personal attack violates the Forum Rules.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Alan B wrote:
Tell me... How many people actually enjoy listening to bad singers?

The customers don't, the bar owners don't, and I don't. It's what gives karaoke a bad name. Many people don't come because of it and many people leave because of it.

Well, me. I love them. They really help the experience in my mind.

That said, I think your karaoke club idea is a very cool one--especially if you're in a karaoke-heavy area. There is something to be said for the joy of exclusivity and feeling like you achieved something by gaining admission.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

If I were to start a karaone club the only criteria for becoming a member would be the love if singing and the willingness to spend the money to support the show. Oh and at my club you would have to pay for your water because it will only be available to buy in a bottle. Tap water will be reserved for washing the dishes abd cooking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
I'D RATHER LET THE LOUSY SINGER, WHO HAS PATRONIZED THE VENUE FOR HOURS, SING RATHER THAN HEAR A GOOD SINGER WHO ONLY SHOWS UP FOR THE LAST HOUR OF THE SHOW BECAUSE HE HAD TO WORK LATE.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

KJKILLER wrote:
I'D RATHER LET THE LOUSY SINGER, WHO HAS PATRONIZED THE VENUE FOR HOURS, SING RATHER THAN HEAR A GOOD SINGER WHO ONLY SHOWS UP FOR THE LAST HOUR OF THE SHOW BECAUSE HE HAD TO WORK LATE.

Once again, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about which is...

Singers that are so bad that they are driving people away. Singers who not only contribute nothing to your show but make the night intolerable to the other singers and customers, thus causing them to leave... which in turn causes the bar to lose customers and sales.

Wake up KJKILLER.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:

Singers that are so bad that they are driving people away. Singers who not only contribute nothing to your show but make the night intolerable to the other singers and customers, thus causing them to leave... which in turn causes the bar to lose customers and sales.

Wake up KJKILLER.

Can I ask you something, Alan? Supposed only the bad singers are the ones contributing to the till and their bad singing drives out all the good singers who are paying absolutely nothing to the venue? Do you still prefer the good singer?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:

Wake up KJKILLER.

Can I ask you something, Alan? Supposed only the bad singers are the ones contributing to the till and their bad singing drives out all the good singers who are paying absolutely nothing to the venue? Do you still prefer the good singer?

Danny, just about all of people (singers and non singers) who come to the venues that I work at, spend money on food and/or drinks. So I really don't have that issue. However, to answer your question: "Do you still prefer the good singer?", the answer is...

If we're talking about a singer that was driving customers away, then my answer is NO. This type of person is detrimental to the quality of your show as well as to the rest of the patrons in the bar. It doesn't matter how much the other patrons are spending. However, I would let the owner make the decision as far as allowing this person to sing.

You and others may not see it but this type of singer can affect your reputation as far as running a quality show. Remember, word gets around. And if it was me, and I knew of a place doing karaoke that allowed this type of singer(s), I would not be going there.

If I'm going to go out to a karaoke show, I look for two things: one is great sound and the other is the quality of the singers that go there, which is important especially if there is a long rotation. Nobody wants to wait an hour to sing while having to listen to bad singers during that time. However, if all the singers were good, I wouldn't mind the wait since I'm enjoying being entertained by in the meantime.

So for me, a place with good singers and good sound. Trust me, I've walked out of places where the singing was bad and the sound was terrible. I do not want to go to a place and listen to the whiners, the screamers, etc. I rather listen to someone run their fingernails on a chalkboard. What I want is a positive entertaining experience. Bad singers don't provide that. Sorry.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
One horrible singer who is a big spender is NOT going to ruin your entire shows reputation. Every show has a bad singer or five. They deserve to sing more than the late arrivals who expect to get bumped to the front of the line because they had to work late. A really bad singer may be enough to get a few mediocre hesitant singers to give it a shot and become hooked on karaoke.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

How cool is this? LOL.

Attachments:
rustys.jpg
rustys.jpg [ 391.37 KiB | Viewed 26337 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

KJKILLER wrote:
They deserve to sing more than the late arrivals

They don't deserve anything.
KJKILLER wrote:
A really bad singer may be enough to get a few mediocre hesitant singers to give it a shot

No. That's where YOUR job comes in. I've gotten many reluctant singers to give it a shot. Didn't rely on bad singers to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
How cool is this? LOL.

Not that I am a bad singer but if I saw that, I can guarantee that all my paying singing fruends and I would avoid it like the plague because if they're going to discriminate against bad singers then they're probably going rin an unfair rotation where either the chicks they want to take home, close buddies ir those willing to pay to beat the rotation het more songs in than anyone else. And I have enough friends to screw that show over. In fact maybe I will set up a show next door on the same night and put up a fkyer that reads all singing levels welcome, why be discriminated next door. Guarenteed better sound as well because I can maje the worst singer sound tolerable enough that nobody wants to leave.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next