KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Back In The Saddle Again? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
"Then my grandfather had 21 children and was still farming when he was 69 so genetics help, I guess?

And how was Grandmother? :lol:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
RLC wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
"Then my grandfather had 21 children and was still farming when he was 69 so genetics help, I guess?

:grumble: :sleep: :sleep: :wink:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
RLC wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

8) You mean Grandmothers, my grandfather was married four times, my grandmother was the last. She often said he buried 3, then when I came along I buried him. Of course she was quite a bit younger than him. My dad was the last and my grandfather died before he was born.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Everything went well last night..............It is a good thing I still lift weights and walk over two miles everyday. Unloading and setting up wasn't hard as I thought it would be.

Thanks for the tip, LR. I have to return to the gym (again). It's easy to stop but so much harder to get back into it if you've had a long break.

I've recovered from my back injury, so it's time to set my priorities straight, hit the gym and get back into the swing of things! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Like my doctor told me think of yourself like a shark. If you stop moving you die. Next time you are in the store buying food look around and see the different people in the self propelled carts. They stop and get out and reach up, the human body was meant to be used, if not it will turn to jello. I see all of these people with walkers, canes and the like, many could have avoided this fate, by simply walking everyday. If I'm laid up with any illness, the first thing I do is drink plenty of water and start walking. The day I can't get up and walk I know I'm near the end of the trail Kemosabe. :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Like my doctor told me think of yourself like a shark. If you stop moving you die. Next time you are in the store buying food look around and see the different people in the self propelled carts. They stop and get out and reach up, the human body was meant to be used, if not it will turn to jello. I see all of these people with walkers, canes and the like, many could have avoided this fate, by simply walking everyday. If I'm laid up with any illness, the first thing I do is drink plenty of water and start walking. The day I can't get up and walk I know I'm near the end of the trail Kemosabe. :cowboy: :cowboy: :cowboy:

Well, LR, I followed your recommendation and went back to my regular 3X a week gym routine once more. A half-hour on the treadmill and half-hour on the elliptical machine that gives me a robust cardio workout without impact on my aching joints. Another half-hour of lifting weights, 15 min of dry, hot box sauna, and 15 min of the steam sauna. I feel better.

Now, I have more energy and stamina (thank you, and my significant other says thanks to you too :wink: ) plus all my aches and pains just went away. Your advice, "if you stop moving, you die" put a scare and an alarm on me. I'm not set-up to bite the dust, yet.

Too busy and occupied even to consider going to the gym or to exercise doesn't cut it anymore. Just go! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) You see Brian our body is a marvelous machine if you take care of it properly. The reason your aches went away is because you are using your body like it was meant to be used. The body naturally creates it's own pain killers so opioids are really not needed, except in extreme pain and only then for short periods of time, or you become addicted to them. If you do experience some pain a little deep heating rub works for me, but then I'm older. Another thing you might check out is diet, they tell me that a hunter gather diet is the best, like ancient man before farming. This means more fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish. Less refined sugar, or wheat products, and keep the dairy down to a minimum, also take a good multi-vitamin and low dose aspirin everyday. This is the life style taught by Jack La Lanie and he lived to nearly a hundred.

P.S. I did happen to see an old Lone Ranger episode, where Tonto was chopping wood. He told the Ranger that they had not been after any outlaws for a while, and he needed to work hard to keep in shape. Then the Ranger talked about how important it is to maintain physical fitness. So even back then though you might have hated GYM class, still there was a lot of wisdom in t.v. shows especially in the 50's. It was subtle but it was there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Brian this is some advice from Clint Eastwood who is now 89 years old and counting.

Eastwood a lifelong non-smoker, has been conscious of his health and fitness since he was a teenager, and practices healthful eating habits, even into his 80's. He practices daily transcendental meditation, and is renowned for being an obsessive health and fitness nut.

"I'd always done muscle training exercise, things like chins, clips and calisthenics, but it was when I was in the Army that I discovered the weights. The kind of training you'd call bodybuilding today. I never wanted to build huge muscles and bulk up, like a competitive bodybuilder, but I realized very quickly that the best way to keep your muscles strong, hard, and fit was with weight training. Once I got into weight training, I never gave it up."

"Stay away from carbohydrates, especially rich desserts. Keep a scale in your bathroom, get proper rest. Try to be optimistic, eat fruits and raw vegetables. Take vitamins, skip beverages loaded with sugars. Avoid alcohol in excess".

I try and do most of this, along with fasting sometimes for a week or more to break my insulin resistance cycle. Just water, green tea, vitamins and low dose bayer's. Sometimes I fall off the wagon, but I get right back on, 90% of the time I'm good, and I never smoked. :angel: :angel: :angel:

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Brian this is some advice from Clint Eastwood who is now 89 years old and counting.

Eastwood a lifelong non-smoker, has been conscious of his health and fitness since he was a teenager, and practices healthful eating habits, even into his 80's. He practices daily transcendental meditation, and is renowned for being an obsessive health and fitness nut.

"I'd always done muscle training exercise, things like chins, clips and calisthenics, but it was when I was in the Army that I discovered the weights. The kind of training you'd call bodybuilding today. I never wanted to build huge muscles and bulk up, like a competitive bodybuilder, but I realized very quickly that the best way to keep your muscles strong, hard, and fit was with weight training. Once I got into weight training, I never gave it up."

"Stay away from carbohydrates, especially rich desserts. Keep a scale in your bathroom, get proper rest. Try to be optimistic, eat fruits and raw vegetables. Take vitamins, skip beverages loaded with sugars. Avoid alcohol in excess".

I try and do most of this, along with fasting sometimes for a week or more to break my insulin retention cycle. Just water, green tea, vitamins and low dose bayer's. Sometimes I fall off the wagon, but I get right back on, 90% of the time I'm good, and I never smoked. :angel: :angel: :angel:

I taught him that when I worked with him back in the day..
Him and Peter Fonda.
Wait, Fonda is dead..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

jdmeister wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Him and Peter Fonda.
Wait, Fonda is dead..

8) JD wasn't Peter Fonda into drugs? That could be why he is no longer with us, you think?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:46 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Him and Peter Fonda.
Wait, Fonda is dead..

8) JD wasn't Peter Fonda into drugs? That could be why he is no longer with us, you think?

Live hard die young..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

jdmeister wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Him and Peter Fonda.
Wait, Fonda is dead..

Live hard die young..

Peter Fonda, counterculture icon and Easy Rider, at 79 died after battling lung cancer. Smoking maybe? When he was given a gold engraved lighter by the film industry, his opening speech was “Well, I don’t smoke cigarettes,” followed by a wink earning laughter from the audience.

I smoked (cigarettes) for a long time. How might you be able not to? Everybody smokes in the Navy. After the ship returns from long overseas deployment, cigarettes, and alcohol go on sale before entering the 12-mile limit to shore.

No exaggeration, any old salt sailors will recollect this; cigarettes @ $1.10 a carton and any brand alcohol @ $2 a bottle, pre-paid order and picked up ashore.

Alcohol consumption btw is strictly prohibited aboard Navy ships. Those were the days, I don’t think they allow this practice anymore, but luckily for me, I kicked that terrible, nasty habit many moons ago. Word to the wise: quit smoking, start living!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Yeah things have changed Brian even the British Navy stopped the on board ship daily rum ration, that was a tradition for over 300 years. :cry: :cry: :cry:

P.S. After a little research the British Navy stopped the on board ship daily rum ration on July 31, 1970. Australia never had it, and Canada stopped it's rum ration back in 1972. Funny New Zealand kept it's rum ration until 1990.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I was still in the RCN when the daily tot - 2 1/4 oz. of "Pusser's Rum" was a daily tradition. Shortly thereafter our navy suffered three humiliating changes... (A)... they took away our flag, the white ensign, to be replaced by the current, national red & white maple leaf. (b)... they took away our bell-bottom trousers, gun shirts, and elephant shoe caps and replaced them with a green abomination (since changed to blue serge). and (c)... they took away our daily rum ration. I personally know several sailors who left the RCN for one or more of these reasons.

Just an aside... I still proudly fly the White Ensign on my front lawn's flag pole for special occasions.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]