KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Does Making Custom Karaoke Discs Make You A Pirate? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Not that it makes much difference at my advanced age, and since most of this war on piracy has pretty much failed or in my case was never really an issue. I have a huge library of tracks paid for, many songs that I would like to do I can't in their original form. I recently purchased a program called Karaoke Surgeon, that allows me to tweak the key and tempo of any track, so I can perform the song. Then I transfer the material to a personal disc used only by me, since the song has been adjusted to me.

Many computer based KJ's refuse to play any discs what so ever. A few old timers do and those are the shows I frequent. Things here on the West Coast are a little more kickback, especially the the non-profit private clubs. If I go to a computer based host's show I simply pick from the list of tracks I know I can nail, without any tweaking. These computer based hosts can change the key and tempo with their programs, but really acted put upon if you ask to key and tempo changes. With everything done at home, all you have to do is give the adjusted disc to the host and he can play it, easy no problem.

There is much talk about bad singers, but if the patron is trying to improve the songs to fit his or her voice, wouldn't that be better for everyone? At least they would be doing songs closer to their range, and not grating on everyone's nerves.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:08 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
As long as the disc is for your personal use and own the originals, no its not piracy.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I have three customs from Clark Mu sic Australia. I asked Brian from Pep if they were ok and he told me that as long as they were the original discs from Clark that I had zero issues with Pep.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have three customs from Clark Mu sic Australia. I asked Brian from Pep if they were ok and he told me that as long as they were the original discs from Clark that I had zero issues with Pep.

Those are not what he's referring to. Clarks were authorized customs through SC - SC even had a direct link to the site. The OP is talking about making personalized customs from discs they already own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Not that it makes much difference at my advanced age, and since most of this war on piracy has pretty much failed or in my case was never really an issue. I have a huge library of tracks paid for, many songs that I would like to do I can't in their original form. I recently purchased a program called Karaoke Surgeon, that allows me to tweak the key and tempo of any track, so I can perform the song. Then I transfer the material to a personal disc used only by me, since the song has been adjusted to me.

Many computer based KJ's refuse to play any discs what so ever. A few old timers do and those are the shows I frequent. Things here on the West Coast are a little more kickback, especially the the non-profit private clubs. If I go to a computer based host's show I simply pick from the list of tracks I know I can nail, without any tweaking. These computer based hosts can change the key and tempo with their programs, but really acted put upon if you ask to key and tempo changes. With everything done at home, all you have to do is give the adjusted disc to the host and he can play it, easy no problem.

There is much talk about bad singers, but if the patron is trying to improve the songs to fit his or her voice, wouldn't that be better for everyone? At least they would be doing songs closer to their range, and not grating on everyone's nerves.

Lone, it's not a problem with me on changing keys at all. If you ever get up my way and I have a show feel free to ask for a key change. My program allows for playing from disc, getting a new laptop next month. Turns out that I owe you guys a huge apology and shouldn't have defended my stance that it was Compuhost that was to blame for my issues with it even though I haven't totally come to terms why Compuhost crashed on certain mp4 files and not others while the other players worked flawlessly. Maybe because the codec pack that Compuhost uses is inferior to the one that Hoster, OpenKJ and VirtualDJ work with because those codecs don't care what video processor they use.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Lone, it's not a problem with me on changing keys at all. If you ever get up my way and I have a show feel free to ask for a key change. My program allows for playing from disc, getting a new laptop next month. Turns out that I owe you guys a huge apology and shouldn't have defended my stance that it was Compuhost that was to blame for my issues with it even though I haven't totally come to terms why Compuhost crashed on certain mp4 files and not others while the other players worked flawlessly. Maybe because the codec pack that Compuhost uses is inferior to the one that Hoster, OpenKJ and VirtualDJ work with because those codecs don't care what video processor they use.

Get ready for CompuHost V4 and prepare to be amazed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Not 100% sure if changing the key then burning to disc is legal (fair use?), but my guess would be that it is not. I certainly wouldn't call it piracy as in this case the content is not being distributed however the fact that you aren't just copying the content but actually altering it and then re-recording it tells me that you would need to get a license from both the composer/publisher and the author of the sound recording. As a practical matter, even if this is the case, I can't see how any of the authors would pursue anyone on such a technicality. However, if you were a producer you can bet that the publishing gods would rain down on you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Bastiat, Welcome back and I hope you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks ... I'm hanging in there. Major surgery due in September and hopefully after that things will sort of go back to normal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) It is not only changing the key but also in some cases changing the tempo as well. If a computer based host alters the key and tempo which he can do, isn't he also changing the final product, in a public performance?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:03 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Changing the key and tempo in playback isn't the same thing as recording the key and tempo change. Changing the key and tempo in a performance doesn't require a license other than the standard performance license i.e. ASCAP/BMI. Making a recording of copyrighted material requires a mechanical license. Nonetheless it's an interesting question, one which might best be answered by an attorney. It is possible that it could be considered a "fair use". I'm not sure if there is any case law in that regard so even an IP lawyer might only be able to render an opinion on this matter.