KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Bad Singers - Where do you draw the line? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I'm not just talking about singers who are off key or tone deaf but the drunken ones who only know how to scream profusely into the microphone for the duration of the song.

Now, I understand that karaoke is supposed to be about fun for everyone but... it's no fun when people are covering their ears and running for the door. Most people don't want to be a part of it.

As I've said in the other thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39487, I've seen bars lose many customers over this because they couldn't take it anymore and got up and left. And I can't blame them. This is not singing, it's torture. It's not even fun anymore. And it's what gives karaoke a bad name.

Personally, I don't feel some loud mouth singer from hell should make the show unbearable and ruin it for everyone else.

So, where do you draw the line? Have you ever cut anyone from singing? If you see people are not happy with this type of singer and are complaining or leaving, what do you do? Do you allow this crap to go on?

Interesting topic...

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I draw the line when it becomes no longer entertaining.

When I get those kinds of singers, I slowly shut down their mic... completely. It becomes entertaining again when the audience realizes that the mic is off and the screamer just keeps rolling along, screaming so loudly they oblivious to the change.

If the singer figures it out and complains to me about it, I will tell them straight up that their performance is just painful. I'm not afraid to lose this kind of singer. They cost me and the club real money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I guess it would depend upon whether they are just naturally really bad, in which case I'd try to grin-and-bear it ... On the other hand, if I feel their caterwauling is the result of too much alcohol, they get faded out and cut off quickly.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I don't give a crap how bad a singer is. They have every right for their chance to sing in every rotation. Karaoke was not created for the professional singer but for the average Joe to live out a dream whether or not they are able to carry a tune. That said I believe that since I tend to attract the better singers because of providing great sound that those singers who can't sing and know it tend to be the ones who leave my shows even though I always say that you don't have to be able to sing and that absolutely everyone has a song that will fit their voice, they just have to find that song. A close buddy of mine technically would be one of the ones that chip would lower the volume levels on, found his songs after I told him yo try Bob Dylan. He tried Bob Dylan's Rainy Day Women and sounded great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I don't give a crap how bad a singer is. They have every right for their chance to sing in every rotation.

Not if they're creating a bad experience for everyone else and driving customers away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I don't give a crap how bad a singer is. They have every right for their chance to sing in every rotation.

Not if they're creating a bad experience for everyone else and driving customers away.

I do whatever I can to discourage really bad singers from returning, especially if they HAVE been coming regularly. I give them a couple of chances and if they are HORRIBLE then I MIGHT take action.

The MIGHT is based on spending, entertainment, and the crowd that joins them.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:09 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
I can see drawing a line for those who are obviously drunk and can't carry a tune while they are just shouting and cursing over the Mic.... BUT, regarding just a really bad singer/s, no... I would never cut them off. They came to have a good time just like everyone else.

I knew a regular at Karaoke who was 70-something. He passed away 2 or 3 years ago. I knew him for at least 15 years. He couldn't sing worth a lick. He used to sing songs from the 50's and earlier.... songs that nobody else ever heard before. He wasn't loud but his singing sounded more like wailing. Some people in the crowd would leave when they heard him singing. Most of us would have that Deer-in-the-headlights look on our faces when he would get up to sing. Of course, we all applauded when he was done. We used to laugh (privately) when he would sit with us and tell us that he "Nailed that song." Many times, when others were singing, he would stand up and sway to the music. Sometimes he would flitter about like a butterfly. The thing is, this person was single and lived alone. Karaoke was his only outlet which enabled him to be around people and gave him enjoyment in life. He lived for Karaoke nights. He would show up at least an hour before the show was scheduled to start. He didn't drink, but he spent money at the venue. He would order a full dinner and drink coffee afterwards. Would you deny someone like this a turn to sing (regardless of how bad he was)?... someone who had no life outside of this???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
Would you deny someone like this a turn to sing (regardless of how bad he was)?... someone who had no life outside of this???

No, I would not... unless his singing was causing people to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) To me the painful part is when they are bad, and they come for awhile and they don't improve. I have to admit that I was not a very good singer, but I still liked karaoke enough to make a business out of it. Singing is like anything else there is a learning curve, just like professional singers cannot sing every song, you have to find the song that fits your voice and style. Through trial and error I found the songs I could nail without having to change key or tempo of the music.

Now I have a program Karaoke Surgeon that allows me to take a track and adjust the key and tempo to my voice exactly. Once placed on a disc and given to the host all he has to do is play it. I know quite a few hosts refuse to play owner discs, but there are still some old timers that do. This really improves the quality of the singer, and makes it possible for him or her to sing songs, that they would otherwise murder. I have always said karaoke is like taking your clothes off in public, people will see how much talent you have or don't, it is sad but true.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I refuse to stomp on anyone's dream. You say you're going to cater only to the good singers. Consider this, they're just living out their dream of being on stage performing but they must be inadequate to just show up at Karaoke Shows week after week because they can't land a frontman spot in even a local band. Why should I crush anyone's dream of being on stage performing even if they can't sing or as Lone Ranger puts it haven't found that right songs to fit their voice. I guess that I am not as lazy as most because I am willing to help them fight the songs that fit their voice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Question, which would you rather have, a bar full of bad singers who are buying up the place or great singers who only drink water?
Me I would choose the bad singers because if they're having fun and spending money then as far as I am concerned I am doing my job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) To me the painful part is when they are bad, and they come for awhile and they don't improve. I have to admit that I was not a very good singer, but I still liked karaoke enough to make a business out of it.

This is true. After now a decade of going to karaoke at least once a week, I have now progressed all the way up to "not good at singing," which is miles ahead of where I started.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I refuse to stomp on anyone's dream.

Dream? And what exactly is this alleged "dream"? That they're going to wake up and realize that they can't sing?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Question, which would you rather have, a bar full of bad singers who are buying up the place or great singers who only drink water?
Let's put it like this, my very naive friend...

If I went to a karaoke bar that was largely made up of bad singers, I would leave and never return again. Now... get this... most bar owners don't like bad singers. I'll say it again, they don't like it. They tolerate it but they don't like it.

Why?

Because it drives customers away. No one wants to listen to bad singers. It's just not enjoyable.

No matter how much you and I may feel that karaoke should be fun for everyone, there some people that just should not sing.

At one of my venues, the bar owner agrees with me. We have one singer in particular who, while she spends money on drinks, would rather not have her come at all since no one can stand her.

Sorry but, most people (karaoke singers included) don't want to listen to bad singers. If I had my way, I would have an exclusive karaoke club where only members who have passed a singing audition can participate. This way, you'd be guaranteed to listen to great singers all night.

Not everybody can do every thing. My father once told me... If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. Karaoke should be no exception.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Alan B wrote:
Not everybody can do every thing. My father once told me... If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. Karaoke should be no exception.

My father and mother only had 8th grade educations, but they both had the same message to me. They also said it another way: "If its worth doing... it's worth doing well"

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Alan B wrote:

My father and mother only had 8th grade educations, but they both had the same message to me. They also said it another way: "If its worth doing... it's worth doing well"

8) - not American Idol. This being said I do think the patron if they care should try and hone their singing skills. Many karaoke hosts themselves are singing challenged. I know one host that is not very good at singing and never takes himself out of the rotation and always sings in the first slot. This says to me none of us have a true unbiased opinion when it comes to our own singing abilities.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
Alan B wrote:

8) - not American Idol. This being said I do think the patron if they care should try and hone their singing skills. Many karaoke hosts themselves are singing challenged. I know one host that is not very good at singing and never takes himself out of the rotation and always sings in the first slot. This says to me none of us have a true unbiased opinion when it comes to our own singing abilities.

A good karaoke host should be good at what he or she does. That includes having people skills, hosting skills... and... if you're going to sing, you should at least be a good singer. If you don't have any of these qualities, you should not be hosting karaoke.

So, if the host can't sing... he/she should not be part of the rotation, period!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:55 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
Alan B wrote:

A good karaoke host should be good at what he or she does. That includes having people skills, hosting skills... and... if you're going to sing, you should at least be a good singer. If you don't have any of these qualities, you should not be hosting karaoke.

So, if the host can't sing... he/she should not be part of the rotation, period!

Alan, define "can't" sing. I "can't" sing some of the songs I would like to be able to sing. I have never proclaimed myself to be a "singer", yet I still sing. I have been told by some people that they come to hear me sing some of the songs that I actually can muster enough "talent" to handle. I am not horrible, but I hate my voice. I don't believe it's for us to judge as hosts how good or how bad a person can carry a tune. Our jobs are to make sure that the 3-5 minutes that they are on stage is memorable for them, that they have "fun" doing what they are doing. With that said, the only exceptions to that would be if the person is so drunk that they are incoherent and unable to even manage to get through the lyrics,,, also when a "singer" is screaming into the mics in order to be stupid, and finally they become vulgar past the point of what the bar or venue sets its standards at. Other than that, it's our jobs to help as best we know how, to educate, train and suggest better ways for the less "gifted" patrons who would like their time in the limelight. Even if they are water drinkers only, that problem falls on the management of the bar. If public karaoke were only allowed to those who someone else believed to be "worthy", that list of singers would be very short. And that my friend is not good for our industry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) See Alan this is where I take exception. The only time I put myself in the rotation when I was hosting, is when I had less than 10 singers to start with, or if someone requested I do a duet with them. Every hosts gig is different, and you have to play to the crowd. Some places only want country, others want golden oldies, or they want show tunes. I tried to encourage everyone no matter the skill level, and I made a point of trying to give them some pointers, so they could improve. I preferred not to sing when hosting, since I wanted to concentrate on the technical side of what I was doing.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Just the same as many or all of you have had,, but at my past shows, I have had professional singers, people who could only sing one song, people who had reading/learning disabilities, children who didn't know how to read yet, people who were terrified of being on stage (yet still did it). Others still that had self esteem issues and were so closed off they only mumbled the words because they were so self conscious. I have had every type of singer imaginable on my stage. And I loved and appreciated each and every one of them, regardless of how "well" they could sing. They chose MY show to attend, and I am and will forever be grateful.