KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Place your bets... place your bets.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Will PEP make new music.... (Pick up to 2)
Yes they will and it will be completely legal 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
No, they won't, it's just more empty talk 52%  52%  [ 16 ]
Yes they will, but legality will be questionable 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes they will, but only unknown/unusable songs 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but most will be already available re-hashed songs 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
My crystal ball is broken - no opinion 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Better check em' for freezer burn! :lol:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
It's interesting to note that while only 23 votes have been cast, well over a majority of those votes don't have much confidence in sound choice producing a usable product – if they produce anything at all.

It is my understanding that recently, sound choice did produce a local artist song or two in the Denver area. The drawbacks with this is that – like the poll – these are songs that for the majority of KJ's will be unusable because they are simply unknown, and to make matters worse, they will only be sold to licensees. That also severely limits the market for this "new music" and I don't understand how they can economically support this kind of business model for any length of time.

It is my prediction that this – just like many of their other programs – will slowly sink out of sight in their own manufactured quicksand.

Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
It would have to be one helluva great song for me to buy a song from Joe Karaoke from BFE. How would someone even know it existed? Is it gonna pop up on YouTube as an advertisement that you can't shut off?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
So SC/PEP produced a local artist as a karaoke track? LOL well now they are gonna make millions!

Seriously, we did that for a friends band with a decent following. They were releasing their second album, so we grab the original recordings, took out the lead, and made the first album into a karaoke CD. We invited fans to sing their favorite songs from the first album at the release party, just before the band played the new album live. It was a lot of fun!

But honestly, the latest gimmick with the GEM series: "We will hold our CDs for you" kinda irks me a bit. I'm not saying they are selling more GEM sets then they have... but just a picture of a bunch of CD spindles containing supposed GEM series and their word doesn't inspire confidence in me either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
So SC/PEP produced a local artist as a karaoke track? LOL well now they are gonna make millions!

Seriously, we did that for a friends band with a decent following. They were releasing their second album, so we grab the original recordings, took out the lead, and made the first album into a karaoke CD. We invited fans to sing their favorite songs from the first album at the release party, just before the band played the new album live. It was a lot of fun!

And how many times since that karaoke CD was created have those songs been sung in your show?

Toastedmuffin wrote:
But honestly, the latest gimmick with the GEM series: "We will hold our CDs for you" kinda irks me a bit. I'm not saying they are selling more GEM sets then they have... but just a picture of a bunch of CD spindles containing supposed GEM series and their word doesn't inspire confidence in me either.

Yes, I would also find it's a little difficult to feel reassured when the very same company that sues its own customers and venues basically says; "you have to indemnify us against infringement, proclaim that we are making an additional copy as 'your agent' and otherwise just trust us."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
and that's the best part, SC didn't produce anything, they took the studio tapes of this local artist and just made graphics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
and that's the best part, SC didn't produce anything, they took the studio tapes of this local artist and just made graphics.

According the the FB post - they DID recreate the the track and didn't use the original tracks.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Lonman wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

According the the FB post - they DID recreate the the track and didn't use the original tracks.

And the bottom line is.. who cares? This is not releasing "usable" music to KJ's nation wide.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:09 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

And the bottom line is.. who cares? This is not releasing "usable" music to KJ's nation wide.
This is supposedly an up and coming artist that will have usability within a year as some predict. If true, then SC would definitely have the upper hand in that area and **assumption** may have 'exclusive rights' to the karaoke track??

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
This is supposedly an up and coming artist that will have usability within a year as some predict. If true, then SC would definitely have the upper hand in that area and **assumption** may have 'exclusive rights' to the karaoke track??

Yeah, well there were dozens of "up And coming" artists from the 1990s and the 2000s. they were popular for all of about two weeks.

This is nothing more than a crapshoot hoping for a longshot. A very, long, shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan B wrote:

To date, 17% of those that have voted agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
c. staley wrote:
Toastedmuffin wrote:

And how many times since that karaoke CD was created have those songs been sung in your show?

Toastedmuffin wrote:

Yes, I would also find it's a little difficult to feel reassured when the very same company that sues its own customers and venues basically says; "you have to indemnify us against infringement, proclaim that we are making an additional copy as 'your agent' and otherwise just trust us."

The whole thing was the bands idea... not mine... I actually used them fairy often for about 6 months.

It wasn't designed to be profitable, it was just fun. We KJs sometimes forget it's supposed to be fun because we deal with the business end of karaoke.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Available to KJ's only, or to the general public, the sales of that song will probably be in the single digits!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
Available to KJ's only, or to the general public, the sales of that song will probably be in the single digits!

In all fairness, it should be the high single digits..... like maybe 8.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:54 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Sound Choice did come out with new music already. Legit too. They have a YouTube page with song samples and a Facebook page.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Do I have my doubts? Absolutely. However, I am at least willing to keep an open mind.

I have given it six months. Six months to give PEP a chance to build a base that will support their new music model, which POTENTIALLY could be a real game changer. All they need is one song that more people want. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

Given the resistance and comments I have come across from even KJs in my area, PEP is going to have to pretty much pull off a miracle.

I'm hoping that it comes, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:20 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
PEPs business model may work for those just starting out as KJs in the very long run and as the rest of us leave the playing field, but I need to OWN my tracks so I have something to either sell with the business or pass on to next of kin. Besides, why would I want to complicate the manner in the way I already possess tracks by adding a lease and/or stream. I don't care if they produce better stuff or not, someone else will more than likely have a similar quality same track for download.

If a KJ for any number of reasons were to drop the lease or stream they could possibly lose clients for not having the songs they sing anymore, right?

Maybe I don't understand, but in the future will KJs have to lease from several producers to have a real show?

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

And maybe they are really hoping to hit big in the Entertainment field with new artists that they produce and be in control of those artist's works. The Courts protect THOSE rights.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:02 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
PEPs business model may work for those just starting out as KJs in the very long run and as the rest of us leave the playing field, but I need to OWN my tracks so I have something to either sell with the business or pass on to next of kin. Besides, why would I want to complicate the manner in the way I already possess tracks by adding a lease and/or stream. I don't care if they produce better stuff or not, someone else will more than likely have a similar quality same track for download.

If a KJ for any number of reasons were to drop the lease or stream they could possibly lose clients for not having the songs they sing anymore, right?

Maybe I don't understand, but in the future will KJs have to lease from several producers to have a real show?

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

And maybe they are really hoping to hit big in the Entertainment field with new artists that they produce and be in control of those artist's works. The Courts protect THOSE rights.

And what will you do if PEP succeeds and the ONLY place to get a song that everyone wants is to get it from them? I guess you'll just have to pass and field the 'but the other guy down the street has it" complaints.

Mind you that's only if PEP succeeds the way I hope they will. Which I am forced to admit, is at the moment a long shot.

As for losing tracks, the ONLY way to lose the new SC tracks is if you stop licensing them. If you are a working host, and can't afford $25US/year, then that person definately needs to find a new line of work.

and when you are done hosting, and want to retire. You can still pass on your license to another person, as long as they are willing to pay the licensing fee, they can use those same tracks for as long as they wish. If they don't want to pay, then it really doesn't matter whether those tracks are used or not, does it?

So nothing is ever lost

-James

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

No if they want to claim copyright for the songs, they would have to record their own music. That's the way it works.

Now I don't know if they did or not, but they might have used the original artists to use for the vocal tracks which they always make with the background version..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:20 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
jclaydon wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

No if they want to claim copyright for the songs, they would have to record their own music. That's the way it works.

Now I don't know if they did or not, but they might have used the original artists to use for the vocal tracks which they always make with the background version..

And the music industry is famous for being legal, paying all required fees and royalties, right?
That's not the way I recall it.. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next